TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1931 Sunbeam Model 10 info anyone?

Liked 310 in 156 posts

Default Now will it start?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Restoration complete bar a few spots to touch up and general once-over to check I haven't left crucial nuts & bolts loose.

Dare I try to start it?

2. The following 8 users liked this useful post by iansoady:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,476 in 934 posts

Default Re: Now will it start?

Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    Dare I try to start it?
    You have to. It's no a proper rebuild until you've felt that pang of disappointment when it doesn't go brum-brum straight away.

4. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Bike Breaker:

Liked 3,971 in 2,679 posts
    Blog Entries

Best for rings is to start it and ride off right away, making it pull.

Can you verify oil delivery before starting, by doing something like turning the engine over over with the indicator button removed and looking into the hole?

Nice bike.

Liked 310 in 156 posts

Well it runs and very nicely. But no oil delivery. I've got all the timing side in bits again.......

7. The following user liked this post made by iansoady:

Blog Entries

That's odd. Is the pump down in the sump?

Blog Entries

I see from the other forum that it's a gear pump and has to draw oil up a few inches.

I expect the pump was put together oily. Wonder if a bit of a rev would get it started, or is it too loose around the gears?

Just priming it won't be the answer, because it's bound to lose the prime when it's sitting parked and the oil runs down out of the pump.

Liked 310 in 156 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post

Just priming it won't be the answer, because it's bound to lose the prime when it's sitting parked and the oil runs down out of the pump.
    Yes, that's my thought as well. I'm going to set up a test rig with the lower end of the timing cover in a jug of oil and run the pump with an electric drill to see whether I can get oil to start flowing. I didn't want to run the engine it for more than a minute or so with no oil flowing although I had squirted some through the plughole to get it started.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,476 in 934 posts

I'm going to set up a test rig with the lower end of the timing cover in a jug of oil and run the pump with an electric drill to see whether I can get oil to start flowing.
    I don't know how your pump is supposed to work, but in case it matters, make sure your drill and pump are set up to spin in the same direction.

Liked 310 in 156 posts

See elsewhere.......

Liked 310 in 156 posts

I first tried the Sunbeam on the road a couple of weeks ago after verifying that the oil pump was in fact working. This effort resulted in the engine nipping up after a couple of miles which I put down to not unscrewing the oil restrictor enough. It did free off nicely after a short wait and ran perfectly well afterwards. There were of course a number of minor adjustments to be made, nuts tightened up etc.

So today I had another go. This time I had no problems with it nipping up and the new twistgrip I've fitted is lovely and smooth. I had it up to 40 mph indicated on the cycle speedo with very stable handling; upward gearchanges are virtually silent but I need to practice the technique for downward ones; front brake has some effect but rear not much. There are a few minor items to sort out but essentially it seems finished to me.

I did around 5 miles, am feeling very pleased and looking forward to bimbling along the Warwickshire lanes......

14. The following 3 users liked this useful post by iansoady:

At Work
    Liked 856 in 309 posts

I would love something like this , looks great.

Blog Entries

If it's three speed, the huge gaps between ratios will make changing crunchy.

Liked 3,358 in 1,705 posts

Restoration complete bar a few spots to touch up and general once-over to check I haven't left crucial nuts & bolts loose.

Dare I try to start it?
    That is just beautiful. Gorgeous. I love bikes like this. And it sounds just 'proper' too

I first tried the Sunbeam on the road a couple of weeks ago after verifying that the oil pump was in fact working. This effort resulted in the engine nipping up after a couple of miles which I put down to not unscrewing the oil restrictor enough. It did free off nicely after a short wait and ran perfectly well afterwards. There were of course a number of minor adjustments to be made, nuts tightened up etc.

So today I had another go. This time I had no problems with it nipping up and the new twistgrip I've fitted is lovely and smooth. I had it up to 40 mph indicated on the cycle speedo with very stable handling; upward gearchanges are virtually silent but I need to practice the technique for downward ones; front brake has some effect but rear not much. There are a few minor items to sort out but essentially it seems finished to me.

I did around 5 miles, am feeling very pleased and looking forward to bimbling along the Warwickshire lanes......
    Awesome Makes me smile to read about, see and hear this bike

Liked 310 in 156 posts

Yes it is, and Sunbeam gearboxes are apparently notoriously badly-behaved. I did realise that if I stopped trying to change down at high* speed and waited till I'd slowed down quite a lot the change was better.

When I get more confident I'll try the left hand across the tank, clutchless method with a blip in the "neutral" between gears but till then the assembled crowd will just have to cover their ears.

khd: You never know I may tire of it and it will come on the market......

*All things are relative of course.

Liked 310 in 156 posts

The tale of the restoration is here if anyone is interested.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission