TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie needing info

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default newbie needing info

hi all

looking into doing my cbt to get me started then moving up to full licence after 2 years if I still interested, don't want to be spending to much on licences to just give it up.

some info I am looking for is:

wanting a 125 prob the new cbr125 as Honda offer a 0% interest on them is this a good choice or just go for a second hand one

I am 26 so after going a cbt will I be restricted to a 125 with 15hp or anything faster, not interested going daft with a 600cc for a while until I actually no how to ride decent and no just jump in straight away

insurance for bike is no claims bonus's from your car transferable obv not using then on a car at the moment.

any tips for sitting cbt would I make sense to do a few lessons never ridden a geared bike just twist n go's

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 2,142 in 1,548 posts

Default Re: newbie needing info

I say 2nd hand 125 as you will drop it, bump it, scratch it and try some basic DIY maintenance on it. If you were to do this on a new bike you will be losing money left right and center. Cheap 2nd hand and dont care what it looks like as all you want is to get a test done asap.
    Do you need to wait 2 years before taking the test?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

no don't need to wait 2 years but would prob just wait that because I would want to stay 125 for a wee bit as I would want to learn on that rather than doing my test n jumping into a 600cc or that after a few months just trying to be sensible just got the other half to let me do the cbt n get a 125 as its no stupid fast

Quote Originally Posted by BikerScott89 View Post
    no don't need to wait 2 years but would prob just wait that because I would want to stay 125 for a wee bit as I would want to learn on that rather than doing my test n jumping into a 600cc or that after a few months just trying to be sensible just got the other half to let me do the cbt n get a 125 as its no stupid fast
    Lol, im lucky i married a biker chick. Yeay you say that now mate but after a few month you will want something larger. Come shitty days and head winds your wee 125 would be hell getting blown about the road or slowing down in headwinds. Even if you were to jump up to say 250 or some import 400. Remember not at CC bikes are the same. Google the speck of a Yamaha 600 diversion then compare it with a GSXR600. The divvy is a slug

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

just noticed your not too far for me am in Coatbridge.

been looking at 125 bikes for a while n they don't sound great either even with a exhaust upgrade, used to speed anyway had a few fiesta sts and a 2.5t focus st but always want to do a bike test but been too busy last few years. suppose a bike is like a car only as fast a u make it go but is there a big difference in weight of them

I really dont see the point in spending 100's on something you will only use as a stepping stone. You tend to get raped from the insurance company anyway so better saving the cash for either larger bike, test or better clothing however say that to most of the kids they would rather have the flash bike as it looks better to there mates.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

money isn't a problem obv not wanting to throw it away, selling the car got a work van n other half has her car so was just really a weekend toy to go out and enjoy maself.

if I stick to cbt would I be restricted to 15hp?

if I stick to cbt would I be restricted to 15hp?
    Think so mate but it only last two years so if happy with a 125 weekend toy you will need to redo the CBT every two years

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

would de restricting a 125 give it more oomph

ano insurance wise not best idea but would exhaust air-filter n a few other things make any difference?

would de restricting a 125 give it more oomph

ano insurance wise not best idea but would exhaust air-filter n a few other things make any difference?
    You could spunk a few 100 quid on parts to de restrict a bike but pick up a 500cc bike for 500 quid.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 57 in 50 posts

Japanese 125s have good resale values and are easier to sell on (compared to bigger bikes) but you will still take a hit on the depreciation. If you are buying brand new then hold on to it for a fair while, even if you take your test and go for a bigger bike it is still a very cheap commuter tool (insuring a second bike does not mean a double premium). If you take the test but don't upgrade straightaway you are still racking up no claims.
    Second hand is a cheaper option but it is the same as the car market; a lot of 'mint' examples aren't always on closer inspection and bikes are more subject to dubious home tuning (I was guilty of the trial and error method and had a reasonable collection of holed pistons, knackered cranks and assorted metal lumps and filings to prove it).

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Reason for wanting a new one is that I will no its sounds as am a novice n don't no what to look out for and a 125 seem to be cheap and as u said not too bad on resale value and would prob keep it for 2 or 3 years till I get used to riding a bike prob then go for something bigger not in a rush to jump into a big one.

Getting confused totally now with the licences could u shed some light

If I do a cbt I can drive upto 125 with L plates or can I lose them?

Then there's the licence a1 n a2 what do they get me to ride?

Is that all I have to do along with the theroy test to ride anything

Not Much To Do
    Liked 57 in 50 posts

Your CBT is good for two years and will have to be renewed after that.
    Given your age I would not bother with A1 or A2 but go for Direct Access; it will be worth mentioning this to your instructor on CBT as they can identify areas that you need to work on to help with the transition to a bigger bike.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Yeah think I'll do my cbt the after a year when I get some miles under my belt ill go for the direct access don't want to be daft n jump straight into a big bike lol

A Bit Bored
    Liked 28 in 22 posts

With your CBT you are restricted to a 125, with L plates, and can't carry a pillion. You will also find that, on a 125 with L plates, car drivers will treat you with disdain and lump you in with the 17 year old yoof on their scooters. Plus, a 125 doesn't have the power or speed to overtake easily on NSL roads. It's a stepping stone to move up to bigger bikes. They are very cheap to run though. By all means get a second hand 125 to poodle about on and get some experience, but you'll soon want to move on up.
    A1 or A2 licence is pretty much the same test, you'll fail on the same stuff, so might as well go straight to the big bikes by doing Direct Access and then picking up a cheap Honda CB500 or Suzuki SV650 for much the same money as a used 125.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum