TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating the NHS to bankruptcy

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,586 in 1,017 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Eating the NHS to bankruptcy

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    *Sigh* just another day of propaganda on how we "can't afford" to provide universal healthcare*, the outcome of which of course is we will all eventually pay in a privatised service. Not the well-off ones among us, of course, who'll no doubt get tax breaks to pay for insurance giving us 5* hotel rooms after our ingrowing toenail ops. But those without insurance will be forced into "St Elsewhere" run-down and overstretched emergency units or find themselves reaching into their pockets for tens of thousands of pounds (as people have to in the US) for something as common as having a baby.

* Translation = are too thick or self centred to want to pay for anyone else
    If a 25stone man started eating 1800 calories a day and spent the difference on health insurance the fat cuddly wuddly beary beary boo could afford BUPA anyway- win win

My wife's deceased grandfather was a total legend. A 92 year old retired GP- he would have loved to put you right on the so called NHS or 'National Disaster Service' as he preferred to refer to it as.
    He also spent several years practicing in America so was fully aware of the intricacies of both systems and was completely ashamed by the 'give me whatever I want now, regardless of cost or my own personal responsibility' attitude over here.

It is a completely unsustainable model now and we are going to pay for it one way or another. At least an insurance model holds you accountable for your actions.
    The endless politicial football means no government of either colour is ever going to get on top of it.

His was incredibly 'fattist' and loved to preach to any chubbies he could (safe in the knowledge that he could outrun them ) but when you spend your whole career watching people destroy themselves for no good reason, I guess you have every right to be.

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,678 in 2,329 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair View Post
    It is a completely unsustainable model now
    Careful now. I've made public my opinion on this previously and was nigh on lynched. Bow to the NHS Sacred Cow, lest you incurr the wrath of the TRC masses.

Liked 2,296 in 1,177 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair View Post
    His was incredibly 'fattist' and loved to preach to any chubbies he could (safe in the knowledge that he could outrun them ) but when you spend your whole career watching people destroy themselves for no good reason, I guess you have every right to be.
    Was he equally anti smokers, drinkers, motorcyclists or sportsmen whose activities also put them in high risk groups?

Worth noting all of those would hike your health insurance premiums dramatically, or find certain conditions excluded from the coverage.

Liked 281 in 168 posts

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    Looks like the obesity epidemic is about to go into overdrive.

www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/26/obesity-and-sedentary-lives-put-5m-britons-at-risk-of-type-2-diabetes

Talk about eating yourself to death with possible blindness and foot amputation en route to the grave. Furthermore, sugar has also been shown to be implicated in the development of cancer and Alzheimer's.

According to these figures the NHS will require at least a 10bn increase in funding to handle a doubling of diabetics requiring treatment - where's the money going to come from?

The link between sugar consumption and obesity was identified decades ago** and has been confirmed by ongoing research but still food manufacturers continue to stuff large amounts of sugars (particularly HFCS*) into packaged food. It's a complete regulatory failure where the government has caved in to the power of the food lobby.

* Hi Fructose Corn Syrup - a byproduct of processing corn (maize) which non-coincidentally is produced in huge quantities in the USA.

** Pure, White and Deadly
    I do love a really hysterical propaganda campaign. Fun for all the family. Not only may we now abuse fatties, but also diabetics, blind people, amputees, cancer sufferers, and best of all, people with dementia. What larks to run through an old people's home shouting, "All your own fault, Granny!" at the inmates as they sit strapped to their commodes.

High fructose corn syrup is indeed widely used in America, but very little in Europe. It acts as a thickener as well as a sweetener, so to get the same perceived sweetness you need more of it than with the simple glucose fructose syrups used by manufacturers here. Clearly stuffing your face with Hob Nobs is bad for you, as is stuffing it with Oreos, but don't assume that the American food industry practices are the same as those in the UK. That sort of error is another mark of unresearched propaganda.

The kicker, though, is the demand for yet more money for the insatiable monster that is the NHS. It's ironic that this diatribe against obesity is aimed to feed the belly of that most bloated and obese of public services.

If the NHS is so keen on diets, it should put itself on one.

Really Bored
    Liked 430 in 204 posts
    Blog Entries

Nothing to do with cuts to services at all either. Or the fact it's starting to become difficult to recruit staff due to high cost of living in London, and tightening immigration controls for the rest of the uk.

What I would go for is starting to charge for GP appointments to curb the cost of missed appointments. Also a sizable charge for A&E attendance without a GP referral or immediate serious clinical need.

6. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Hawkman:

Liked 5,869 in 3,436 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    As any of the diabetics on here will tell you, they are forever reducing the HbA1c levels. If they keep lowering it everybody will be a Type 2 Diabetic. By the by, not all Health Authorities are very good at implementing the 9 tests, 50% at the last count, but we'll ignore that.
    And recommended blood pressure, I spent two years chasing a target that they kept reducing. My missus, who is very healthy went for a check up, she had cycled there so her BP was up, because of the change in targets they wanted to put her on tablets. Luckily she said no since thats the other game, once you are on tablets it must be them that are reducing your blood pressure/keeping it in check, not what you have done. I had that argument with the doctor and told her I had reduced my dose, she was aghast and told me to go back to full prescription. One week later I was back in there, BP of 85/55, needless to say she reduced the prescription.

So, yes, how much of this is the changing of targets as KK says and getting the idea of private healthcare into peoples minds like tomcat says? Quite a bit I would wager.

If you feel that way then it's largely self inflicted - on more than one occasion you've posted about the heriditary component of your diabetes.

This thread is self evidently about self inflicted diabetes.
    Oh, sorry, as you were.

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,678 in 2,329 posts

I don't see red doctors under the bed with a secret agenda to get people on private, more a (valid) chasing of targets and possibly, and I may be going out on a limb here, shouting warnings about the health of the populace.

Of course, we'd all make a much better Health Secretary and put all the ills of the NHS right, wouldn't we?

Liked 2,819 in 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    Of course, we don't want all diabetics stigmatised like all migrants often get stigmatised.
    Agree with you. As you well know there's a world of difference between self inflicted diabetes and hereditary diabetes - it's wearisome to hear you repeatedly conflate the two.

Liked 1,497 in 1,048 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    What I would go for is starting to charge for GP appointments to curb the cost of missed appointments. Also a sizable charge for A&E attendance without a GP referral or immediate serious clinical need.
    Indeed. I hardly ever go to the doctor-I'll ask my nice chinese pharmacist in Boots. But one of the local practices has a counter above the desk of missed appointments that week. It's horrifying. Really that led box that says' Mr Ed to Doctor Savage in room 3' should also be reading '& Mrs Wiggins missed her appointment yet again this week, bring her total this year to X. Not as if she's working either, the fat cuddly wuddly beary beary boo.' WTF are these people? Serious question that. By all means use stereotypes.

I've another theory about all of this. Lets say fatso is on a budget. let's also say fatso is a bit self-esteem short-perhaps life has been something of a disapointment, despite the hooky 50" telly & iphone etc. So tubby might be quite fond of a drink-maybe a bit of cheap uppers too. And tubby knows only too well how pricey it is to drink out & also knows where & what all the offers are in the supermarkets this week. Ah, suppose he'd better eat something too. So there's some competing needs there, & I'll bet the booze wins. But he ain't going to tell the Doctor that. I've seen plenty of thin people who like something illegal. I've not seen many thin alcoholics. CBA to google this but I'd have thought the booze would play havock with sugar levels amongst other bits of your body's chemistry.

Cheap booze is very bloody cheap if you drop your eyes down from buy-line. Plus Wetherspoons is as about as cheap as I can see if you're in the need for going out. Even cheaper if you're in the habit of pre-loading.

Here's Ed's moneysavingexpert how to not only drop 2 stones but also develop significant muscle tone. Do the drinks replenishment job in a bigger supermarket. Those roll cages are proper heavy & shifting lots of water & cases of booze about=lots of squats & lifting. You'd only have to do it for 2 months as well. And, get this-you get paid for it. Hell-do it part-time a couple of evenings a week.

On a slightly more compassionate note I don't think many people who are 'obese' are entirely happy with their body-shape..the media does rather promote a thin culture. Which neatly loops me back to my low self esteem theory.

11. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

Liked 5,869 in 3,436 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    I don't see red doctors under the bed with a secret agenda to get people on private
    Course you dont, thats cause they is all bleeding forriners wot dont speak no proper english like innit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by go_slow View Post
    Course you dont, thats cause they is all bleeding forriners wot dont speak no proper english like innit.
    I'm not that good at languages but assuming eastern european is quite 'spikey' plus a certain look, I've yet to see anyone speaking like that whose on the chubby side. Quite the opposite-they look pretty damned fit to me.

14. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

Quote Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
    I do love a really hysterical propaganda campaign. Fun for all the family. Not only may we now abuse fatties, but also diabetics, blind people, amputees, cancer sufferers, and best of all, people with dementia. What larks to run through an old people's home shouting, "All your own fault, Granny!" at the inmates as they sit strapped to their commodes.

High fructose corn syrup is indeed widely used in America, but very little in Europe. It acts as a thickener as well as a sweetener, so to get the same perceived sweetness you need more of it than with the simple glucose fructose syrups used by manufacturers here. Clearly stuffing your face with Hob Nobs is bad for you, as is stuffing it with Oreos, but don't assume that the American food industry practices are the same as those in the UK. That sort of error is another mark of unresearched propaganda.
    This is about sugar, and there is a mountain of research which supports the implication of sugar consumption in the development of obesity and thereafter diabetes.

The kicker, though, is the demand for yet more money for the insatiable monster that is the NHS. It's ironic that this diatribe against obesity is aimed to feed the belly of that most bloated and obese of public services.

If the NHS is so keen on diets, it should put itself on one.
    No, it is not. It is saying that given the forecast increase in demand for the treatment of diabetes the current functioning of the NHS will be unsustainable

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    On a slightly more compassionate note I don't think many people who are 'obese' are entirely happy with their body-shape..the media does rather promote a thin culture. Which neatly loops me back to my low self esteem theory.
    Strange all those WW1 and WW2 films and post-war pre-1970's films with so many skinny people in them, where did they all come from?

Blog Entries

Strange all those WW1 and WW2 films and post-war pre-1970's films with so many skinny people in them, where did they all come from?
    actors, extras and/or the labour exchange? Not following your point here dere chap unless you're obliquely referring to rationing.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission