TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating the NHS to bankruptcy

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,803 in 3,010 posts

Default Re: Eating the NHS to bankruptcy

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,673 in 2,324 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    What I would go for is starting to charge for GP appointments to curb the cost of missed appointments.
    Missed appointments? You need to be able to get one first in order to miss it.

Liked 5,869 in 3,436 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    I'm not that good at languages but assuming eastern european is quite 'spikey' plus a certain look, I've yet to see anyone speaking like that whose on the chubby side. Quite the opposite-they look pretty damned fit to me.
    They're not stupid. They send only the good looking ones over here to lull us into a false sense of security.

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,673 in 2,324 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Dates? No winder she's put on weight eating sugar-loaded dried fruit products.

Liked 766 in 506 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    *Sigh* just another day of propaganda on how we "can't afford" to provide universal healthcare*, the outcome of which of course is we will all eventually pay in a privatised service. Not the well-off ones among us, of course, who'll no doubt get tax breaks to pay for insurance giving us 5* hotel rooms after our ingrowing toenail ops. But those without insurance will be forced into "St Elsewhere" run-down and overstretched emergency units or find themselves reaching into their pockets for tens of thousands of pounds (as people have to in the US) for something as common as having a baby.

* Translation = Gubbermint are too thick or self centred to want to pay for anyone else with everyone else's money, better spent on themselves and the EU
    This is money taken from taxpayers, both thick and thin. Our local hospital has been closed and a dysfunctional day clinic erected in it's place.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,180 in 2,397 posts
    Blog Entries

Do missed GP appointments cost anything, excepting the theoretical waste of their time? Other patients won't be able to get an appointment so quickly, but I'm pretty sure the GP won't just be sat there wasting their time if the patient doesn't turn up.

I'd wager that any system that tries to charge for seeing a GP will be doomed from the start. It'll cost to collect the fees, there'll be a whole swath of people who are exempt, and the first time a patient suffers because they couldn't get an appointment due to non-payment the red tops will have a collective orgasm, especially if it happens in the Health Secretary's or PM's constituency. Cf when NICE decides an expensive and barely more effective drug is not available on the NHS.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,803 in 3,010 posts

I'm not that good at languages but assuming eastern european is quite 'spikey' plus a certain look, I've yet to see anyone speaking like that whose on the chubby side. Quite the opposite-they look pretty damned fit to me.
    Your average immigrant is more likely to become obese once they get here.

First 7 or 8 minutes;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p030bct8

Liked 2,818 in 1,999 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Do missed GP appointments cost anything, excepting the theoretical waste of their time?
    Time = money.

Should Get Out More
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    Time = money.
    Care to expand on that?

Liked 766 in 506 posts
    Blog Entries

Time = money.
    How many doctors regularly keep appointments?

11. The following user liked this post made by protoborg:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,466 in 929 posts

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    People going to their graves early save the country money.
    I'm sorry. I am doing my best by being fat but every time I go to the doctor for the 5-yearly check-up they poke about, test various things, take blood, etc, ask if I'm on any medication, to which the answer is "no". Then they send me a letter saying that everything is normal.
    I suppose I'll have to take up smoking and drinking to see if that helps see me off.

Liked 1,497 in 1,048 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Care to expand on that?
    I'm still waiting for clarification on the below exchange. Me 1st, weeblefeatures.

Strange all those WW1 and WW2 films and post-war pre-1970's films with so many skinny people in them, where did they all come from?
    actors, extras and/or the labour exchange? Not following your point here dere chap unless you're obliquely referring to rationing.

Should Get Out More
    Blog Entries

I'm still waiting for clarification on the below exchange. Me 1st, weeblefeatures.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,586 in 1,017 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Was he equally anti smokers, drinkers, motorcyclists or sportsmen whose activities also put them in high risk groups?

Worth noting all of those would hike your health insurance premiums dramatically, or find certain conditions excluded from the coverage.
    He was obviously anti smoking but believed drinking in moderation was reasonable. He also believed our system should accommodate accidents through lawful endeavour if you like and also help the genuinely poor and disadvantaged.

Eating yourself into a blob is not the same as losing the front on a wet roundabout or catching a cricket ball with your jaw. The positive health benefits and mental well being of those two examples probably outweigh the risk of accidents. Whereas eating too much does you no favours whatsoever beyond a temporary rush.

Liked 2,626 in 1,428 posts

Looks like the obesity epidemic is about to go into overdrive.

www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/26/obesity-and-sedentary-lives-put-5m-britons-at-risk-of-type-2-diabetes

Talk about eating yourself to death with possible blindness and foot amputation en route to the grave. Furthermore, sugar has also been shown to be implicated in the development of cancer and Alzheimer's.

According to these figures the NHS will require at least a 10bn increase in funding to handle a doubling of diabetics requiring treatment - where's the money going to come from?

The link between sugar consumption and obesity was identified decades ago** and has been confirmed by ongoing research but still food manufacturers continue to stuff large amounts of sugars (particularly HFCS*) into packaged food. It's a complete regulatory failure where the government has caved in to the power of the food lobby.

* Hi Fructose Corn Syrup - a byproduct of processing corn (maize) which non-coincidentally is produced in huge quantities in the USA.

** Pure, White and Deadly
    Sugar is a problem but fatties probably use up far less of the NHS budget than administration. We have some government health plans here and what the doctors complain about most is the amount of paperwork. Admin costs are 75% of the↓cost of running↓a clinic.
    I recently had an operation that cost $8K. The surgeon, brilliant and dedicated BTW, charged $400. The anaesthetist got $800. Staff and operating theater, $2K. THe Hospital is non-profit. If I had paid cash the cost would have been $3800. The difference is what it costs to satisfy the government.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission