TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Supermotos circa 1000

Banned
    Liked 19 in 12 posts

Default Re: Supermotos circa 1000

Quote Originally Posted by LondonDRZ View Post
    Buy the DRZ, ride it on your commute. Save up and then buy a Husky, Berg, KTM. I commuted on a Husky because I could afford to take the time off for servicing and pay for it. If you dont have that luxury then you are mad to try.
    What do you reckon about the 640 lc4 though? KTM 640s can be had for around the same price and from research the 640 lump is quite reliable. Also don't worry about the job I will be able to get there via public transport if the bike does fail but ideally I would like one that is unlikely to do so as well. I read on VisorDown or ADV rider that the 640 lc4 only needs the oil changing every 3000 miles.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 762 in 506 posts

Quote Originally Posted by flynn View Post

It looks like the KTM 625 SMC might be the ideal bike I am looking for

Edit: found 2 on gumtree.com

https://www.gumtree.com/p/ktm-motorb...oto/1134491957

https://www.gumtree.com/p/ktm-motorb...004/1133374740

Both expensive even on there. Edit: Just noticed the first advert says it only has a kick start Yet the article on MCN says the 625 has an electric start :confused: The second advert bloke wants 2800 for something without an MOT I can suddenly see why most people give up hunting for something different and go with a DRZ.

Edit: Perhaps the 640 is the one to go for as they are the most popular and common place by far and also come with an electric start. From what I have gathered via Google research even before joining here the 640 is as close to the DRZ in terms of maintenance and reliability as your gonna get.
    That 1st gumtree ad is a supercomp not an SMC. The supercomp is the forerunner of the smc. Essentially the LC4s came in 3 flavours.

LC4 and Duke 2. Both great road bikes about 50 bhp and 150kg ish. I had a Duke 2 and loved it. 3000 mile service intervals and fairly reliable from my experience and most others I knew about. However most are fairly old now.

625 SMC was a halfway house between the base LC4 and 660. Leccy start and also 3000 mile service intervals. Smaller tank and flatslide carb and a few other mods meant about 5 bhp up and 5kg down on LC4. I had one as an only bike for 18 months 8k miles. Great bike and no issues with mine. I serviced mine every 1500 miles to be on the safe side. Got 58 bhp outta mine with full system and set up.

660 SMC is kickstart only and 1500 mile services I think. Another few kgs lighter and couple of bhp up on the 625. Heard of more of these going pop than the LC4s and 625.

Back in the day LC4s were the CBR 600 of the VD forum as loads about however people either loved them or loathed them. A few went pop and they viberate. They are all getting on a bit now though and if I were looking in that price range/age I'd prob be looking more at DRZs just from a reliability view point. Having said that I saw some heavily abused LC4s that kept chugging along without breaking. Also look at yamaha XTX660 if there are any in budget. I seem to recall they are bomb proof engine wise but at a good 30kg heavier than an LC4. My brothers got one and it's good fun.

4. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

Banned
    Liked 19 in 12 posts

Great write up mate thank you. KTM really like to make things complicated with their model names don't they? I know the Dukes are KTM's official fun road bike but they just don't look anything like a supermoto at all, they look like a really ugly thin naked so that rules them out for me. As for the XTX660, 30kg is a huge weight difference for a bike like a supermoto. I read a review on the XT660 and it said the bike was rather dull, not what I am looking for. Edit: Just looked up it's weight, 173kg, holy shit, that is damn near full on road bike weight! Looks like it is still between the 640 LC4 and DRZ in my revised 1500-2000 budget. Like you said the DRZ is going to be more reliable, also a smaller displacement so less vibrations, but I am still tempted by a 640, perhaps I would be able to find a 640 with low mileage, or a DRZ, I guess it depends what comes up when I have the budget.

Liked 4,364 in 2,532 posts

Remember you also need to invest in a very very good chain/lock.

SM's are very high on bike thieves shopping lists, and drug addled chavs like to use them as field bikes.

Liked 1,773 in 1,217 posts

For the money are are more likely to get a DRZ than a KTM due to the KTM popularity.

As Kungfoo said, Supermoto's are like honey to bees. I had one stolen 2 days after I bought it. It had a disk lock and very good chain but was not chained to anything. Straight in a van and next seen at an armed robbery.

Dont spend all your hard earned to see it go "Bye Bye" immediatly.

Banned
    Liked 19 in 12 posts

Why are these Triumph Daytona T595s so cheap compared to the supermotos?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Da...item1c597b2f06

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-TRIUM...item3d0540810c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-TRIUM...item4af14a9fbc

Before I got the idea for a supermoto I really wanted a T595 and at those prices they seem way more appealing than a DRZ400. The reason I wanted a supermoto is to practice bike control and stunts on, but those Daytonas are really tempting me away from the idea of a supermoto.

Liked 4,364 in 2,532 posts

Why are these Triumph Daytona T595s so cheap compared to the supermotos?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Da...item1c597b2f06

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-TRIUM...item3d0540810c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-TRIUM...item4af14a9fbc

Before I got the idea for a supermoto I really wanted a T595 and at those prices they seem way more appealing than a DRZ400. The reason I wanted a supermoto is to practice bike control and stunts on, but those Daytonas are really tempting me away from the idea of a supermoto.
    Because they're old. All the late 90's superbikes (Blades, ZX9R's, etc..) can be had for that money... Also the 955i is arguably a better bike than the T595.

Banned
    Liked 19 in 12 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Because they're old. All the late 90's superbikes (Blades, ZX9R's, etc..) can be had for that money... Also the 955i is arguably a better bike than the T595.
    I prefer the look of the t595 is it possible to swap the fairings over? Also I don't see why they are cheaper than supermotos because supermotos are old too. If I had the money I would buy both but I can't. Really wanted to start my riding on a supermoto to learn machine control but I am tempted by the road bikes because they seem like a lot of bike for a fair bit less than what supermotos cost.

Liked 762 in 506 posts

Supermotos were (relatively) expensive new and now 2nd hand. A new 690 SMC is pretty much 8k which is more than a bunch of road bikes. Also few motos about so tend to hold their value. Then there are the parts ie ktm come with brembo, braided hoses, WP fully adjustable suspension etc.

All older sportsbikes will probably be about in greater numbers and (relatively) better value in absolute bang for buck. But they are totally different bikes.

Also my Duke 2 and 625 SMC made me smile more than any bike outside my TZR250. That includes my Blade I had before my motards and the R6 I have now. I went from 120 bhp 96 model Blade to a 50 bhp Duke 2 and didn't regret it for an instant. But I was ready for that move and had the 150 mph blasts outta my system.

Cheap/light/fun/reliable also consider an SV650. Might be a boring choice but they are really good bikes to start on.

Re LC4 vs XTX baring in mind it's years since I had my ktms but I'd say the ktms feel lighter and more aggressive but I doubt there'll be much in it on the road. XT also feels higher geared (might just be my bros) but my ktm felt like it wasn't happy at all at 80 cruising whereas the XT took it in stride. I reckon the LC4 would feel better round town and on the tight stuff but the XT would feel more relaxed on longer rides.

I'd try and test some bikes if I were you.

12. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

Banned
    Liked 19 in 12 posts

Thanks, it terms of road bikes I would get a t595 or 955i, for the price they beat an sv650 hands down in looks and brand. The problem is that I am getting tempted away from supermotos by the aforementioned trumpets, as they seem a lot of bike for a fair bit less than it costs to buy even a run of the mill supermoto. I plan to buy a supermoto and keep it for a year to hone my machine skills on and then buy a trumpet, but the price difference is making me tempted to do it the opposite way around. Edit: Another option is to go for an enduro although the knobblies would be sketchy on the road and they don't quite have the look of a sumo.

Liked 762 in 506 posts

In that case maybe get a trumpet. I learnt a lot about riding when on a motard as you can't rely on power to make up for ability. But to be honest if you like both maybe go for the trumpet as it'll probably be a more reliable bike than a 1500 quid motard.

Take a look about and get the best bike you can either way liking multiple bikes gives you more chance of finding a good bike.

Banned
    Liked 19 in 12 posts

By fuck this looks nice:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-660-sm...V5CEL#viTabs_0

660 so kickstart only. I am sure a starter, charging thingy (not an alternator on a bike is it) and battery could be bought and fitted since they are on the 640s anyway. I wonder if the prices will start coming down as it's winter. That one is a few hundred cheaper than average. On the other hand, "Must...resist...looking...at...Speed Triples" though.

Liked 5,985 in 3,485 posts

By fuck this looks nice:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-660-sm...V5CEL#viTabs_0

660 so kickstart only. I am sure a starter, charging thingy (not an alternator on a bike is it) and battery could be bought and fitted since they are on the 640s anyway. I wonder if the prices will start coming down as it's winter. That one is a few hundred cheaper than average. On the other hand, "Must...resist...looking...at...Speed Triples" though.
    You can debate what if or maybe or should I all year and never buy one just in case a better one comes up. Just get it bought and go from there.

Banned
    Liked 19 in 12 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    You can debate what if or maybe or should I all year and never buy one just in case a better one comes up. Just get it bought and go from there.
    I don't have the money saved up yet, it won't be for another two months at supermoto prices or one month at road bike prices hence why the road bikes are so tempting.

Banned
    Liked 19 in 12 posts

What do we reckoned about Husqvarna? Also note the price difference between the Supermoto version and enduro! I could even buy the enduro almost with my first pay packet and then buy some supermoto wheels afterwards.

Supermoto:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Husqvarna-...wAAOSwo0JWG4Ry

Enduro:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Husqvarna-...3D171966436874

Edit: Actually it would seem that KTM 640s are a better deal when you factor in how much a set of Husqvarna supermoto wheels cost. Also I have been noticing the KTM prices coming down a bit, there are a couple 640s on there under the 2k mark
    Last edited by flynn; 19-10-15 at 10:57.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum