TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a Guzzi Le Mans

Liked 3,568 in 2,365 posts

Default Re: Got a Guzzi Le Mans

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    I had one of them for a couple of years and liked it but found it physically too small.
    There must have been a problem then, mine was fine

Liked 1,041 in 697 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    There must have been a problem then, mine was fine
    They shrink if you wash them too hot

The uncomplicated mechanicals of the Le Mans have helped it to endure, and itís a machine that engenders remarkable affection from its owners.

4. The following user liked this post made by James Howard:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 70 in 32 posts

Only had a very short go on one but yeah, the springs for two 50mm carbs did put a bit of a fight.
    They're 36mm standard or if you're lucky the 40mm race items. The 850 engine works better with the 36's. You get the best out of the 40's on the 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziPaul View Post
    All back together now and learnt a bit more about italian electrics , sorry no step by step build log. Passed it's MOT today and got several favourable comments at the place I took it. Also got followed to work by a bloke who had just bought a new Guzzi and wanted to talk bikes.
    Taxed it 10 minutes ago so after tea off for a ride. The five miles backwards and forwards for MOT reminded me of how stiff big Dellorto throttles are and how easy modern day bikes are to ride and how nice modern suspension is.
    Don't know how I missed this post first time round Paul but...I found the throttle quite stiff on mine too so I did the following:
    1. Replace the main carb springs with lighter items, you can find them on the Dell Orto UK web site.
    2. Replace the original throttle cables with Venhill low friction ones (same goes for clutch cable).
    3. Remove the return springs located on the carb's outer operating levers.
    These 3 together make for a much nicer riding experience and I've not had one problem with this set up since my rebuild.

At Work
    Liked 487 in 260 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
    They're 36mm standard or if you're lucky the 40mm race items. The 850 engine works better with the 36's. You get the best out of the 40's on the 1000.

Don't know how I missed this post first time round Paul but...I found the throttle quite stiff on mine too so I did the following:
    1. Replace the main carb springs with lighter items, you can find them on the Dell Orto UK web site.
    2. Replace the original throttle cables with Venhill low friction ones (same goes for clutch cable).
    3. Remove the return springs located on the carb's outer operating levers.
    These 3 together make for a much nicer riding experience and I've not had one problem with this set up since my rebuild.
    Was going to do the lighter carb springs this winter. Got Tommaselli QA throttle on and being thinking about Venhill cables (and possibly some dog leg leavers). Wasn't aware of removing the outside return springs, will have to try that.
    Plans for this winter so far are:
    New rear suspension, Hagon?
    Braided brake lines.
    Possibly fitting electronic ignition, although just got some new points and a strobe, so got to understand how to fit them. The bike has a lightened flywheel and the standard timing marks are not there. Been using a degree wheel and found a few marks in approximately the right positions but not sure about the advance and retard marks. TDC is correct though.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 70 in 32 posts

My lightened flywheel came without timing markings on either.
    Only way to get them 100% in the correct position is to use a piston stop and as you say, a timing wheel.
    I made a piston stop from an old spark plug.
    With points, sometimes the back plate mounting screw holes need slightly elongating to allow full adjustment.

At Work
    Liked 487 in 260 posts

yes, used a piston stop so TDC is right, just the advance and retard marks to get right.

Liked 318 in 121 posts

Can I join in? I've just bought this 1981 Mark III. It hasn't run for at least 7 years, so I expect I'm in for a steep learning curve

10. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Pugwash:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,718 in 2,274 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pugwash View Post

Can I join in? I've just bought this 1981 Mark III. It hasn't run for at least 7 years, so I expect I'm in for a steep learning curve
    How much did it cost, and welcome to the early 80s superbike owners club.

Liked 318 in 121 posts

She set me back £3400. The condition looks to be excellent, and was a runner before the 80 year old owner ran out of puff and put her away.

I'm thoroughly depressed now as I've just read Steve's thread on his resotration, and I'm feeling very inadequate.

To start with I'm going to do the things I feel comfortable with, and spend the winter getting her ready for next year. I have the possibly unrealistic idea of using her for my annual european trip, maybe visiting the Guzzi factory.

Initial jobs are stripping back to clean and rust proof, new tyres as it's still got an ancient pair of phantoms on, ultrasonically clean the carbs and replace fuel lines, full service, new plugs HT leads, Gear box and bevel oil change, rebuild the calipers and master cylinders, lub the u/j, and take the forks and shocks to Maxtons for an overhaul.

Apart from the front mounting bracket, which fills me with dread just thinking about it, I expect there will be more things to add to the list as I progress.

Wish me luck!

13. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Pugwash:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,718 in 2,274 posts

You'll be fine, get it running and you'll instantly feel happier about it, Guzzis have a strong engine, the electrics had a reputation for being poor, but it's relatively simple (but time consuming) to replace them with modern parts.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 70 in 32 posts

Hey Pugwash, nice looking bike. Shouldn't take much to get her up and running.
    The Mk III Le Mans has got 'lean burn' carbs. I've read about so many Mk III owners finding the bike runs like shit because
    previous owners have mistakenly jetted the carbs as per the original or Mk II Le Mans
    When you strip the carbs I'd recommend you check all jets etc are standard Mk III parts.
    Here's a bit of info to get you going; Pete Roper is a Guzzi guru and a legend amongst the Guzzista; his posts have the info you'll need.
    http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=28532.0
    The forks are not like standard ones, but have internal cartridges, so apart from replacing a couple of bushes if they're worn, the only 'renovation' fork wise is usually to get some better cartridges i.e. FAC's.
    Same with rear shocks...what have you got fitted? If original, best to replace with Ikons (Koni) etc

If you need any info Guzzi wise any time just fire a PM off.

16. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Stevex:

At Work
    Liked 487 in 260 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pugwash View Post
    She set me back £3400. The condition looks to be excellent, and was a runner before the 80 year old owner ran out of puff and put her away.

I'm thoroughly depressed now as I've just read Steve's thread on his resotration, and I'm feeling very inadequate.

To start with I'm going to do the things I feel comfortable with, and spend the winter getting her ready for next year. I have the possibly unrealistic idea of using her for my annual european trip, maybe visiting the Guzzi factory.

Initial jobs are stripping back to clean and rust proof, new tyres as it's still got an ancient pair of phantoms on, ultrasonically clean the carbs and replace fuel lines, full service, new plugs HT leads, Gear box and bevel oil change, rebuild the calipers and master cylinders, lub the u/j, and take the forks and shocks to Maxtons for an overhaul.

Apart from the front mounting bracket, which fills me with dread just thinking about it, I expect there will be more things to add to the list as I progress.

Wish me luck!
    Thats pretty much what I did, get soaking the front engine mount bolt now. Can I recommend making an engine stand on wheels like I did, especially if you have not much room. You can strip the bike leaving only the engine (even remove the gearbox), move it around as you need and take outside to wash.
    IMG_4471 (800x600).jpgIMG_4579 (800x600).jpg

I suggest you take the timing chain cover off and have a look at the timing chain, it might need manual adjustment.

18. The following user liked this post made by GuzziPaul:

Liked 318 in 121 posts

I'm already soaking everything in sight with plusgas, so I hope that when the time comes it will be a little easier. I'm currently at the poking about, investigating stage, trying to put together a sensible plan for project. I'm resisting the urge to go straight in and get her going as I don't know enough yet about the Guzzi to make sure that I don't make some expensive cock-up.

The rear shocks are Marzocchi. They seem ok on a static bounce, but while she's in pieces I want to get them back to a good cosmetic standard at least. Don't yet know enough about them regarding a rebuild but while they're off it seems like a good opportunity.

First major job starts today, I've got to clear out and reorganise the garage to give myself the space to do it.

Haven't stopped grinning since I bought it though

20. The following user liked this post made by Pugwash:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission