TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

  1. #16
    Not Much To Do
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    924
    Like
    126
    Liked 103 in 54 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    The general rule of thumb is if the bike fits RIDE !!!!!!!!

  2. #17
    Should Get Out More icarus1859's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not at home
    Posts
    31,561
    Like
    2,633
    Liked 6,142 in 3,177 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    I ride for about an hour at a time, but I've got the desert literally minutes away, and I ride in shorts/t-shirt, boots and helmet.

    Back in the UK I had an offroad area within 5 mins drive, and I used to go and ride there for half an hour at a time sometimes.
    One day I went with about an hour to spare before I had to pick the kids up from school, I got stuck in a hole with very steep sides, in deep mud. I honestly thought I'd have to abandon the bike, but in the end I had to lay on my back, lie the bike down and heave it slowly up the 10ft side of the hole, an inch at a time. I was so knackered I was heaving, and thought I'd pass out.
    I was late picking the kids up and plastered in mud.
    That was a lesson learned.

  3. #18
    Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    16,827
    Like
    607
    Liked 5,944 in 2,784 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    I don't see why not. Find a decent field somewhere, set up a track and attack it. Should be a great physical workout and if you're gunning it, an hour would be plenty!

    S.

  4. #19
    A Bit Bored
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    15
    Like
    0
    Liked: 1/1

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    If you have a convenient place to ride, it could be a half n hour!

  5. #20
    Should Get Out More Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Where I want to be.
    Posts
    33,953
    Like
    1,656
    Liked 2,299 in 1,179 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    Quote Originally Posted by flynn View Post
    I really want to do some trails round my way as well, but it is hard to tell whether they are legal or not. I found this website some years ago:

    http://www.southerntrails.co.uk/

    It has a map but not a very good one. End of the day I should just go down the trails and see if anyone tries to stop me and then explain the situation if they do.
    RoW have changed since the NERC Act and it's not a good idea to rely on old maps as you could get caught on a non legal track. Not only could you get fined, and for a repeat offence have your bike seized and crushed, but it also gives a bad name to all off road bikers and ammunition to the antis who are forever trying to close lanes to us. Trying to talk your way out of it will achieve nothing, I know people who have had a hard time explaining why they were on a a 100% legal track. Your best bet is join the TRF who know all the legal byways and ride them pretty frequently.

  6. #21
    Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Posts
    22,571
    Like
    1,503
    Liked 1,646 in 986 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    RoW have changed since the NERC Act and it's not a good idea to rely on old maps as you could get caught on a non legal track. Not only could you get fined, and for a repeat offence have your bike seized and crushed, but it also gives a bad name to all off road bikers and ammunition to the antis who are forever trying to close lanes to us. Trying to talk your way out of it will achieve nothing, I know people who have had a hard time explaining why they were on a a 100% legal track. Your best bet is join the TRF who know all the legal byways and ride them pretty frequently.
    That to me is quite possibly the most depressing part of the whole offroad riding in the UK thing. No maps that just show where you can go. You have to meet up with "Like minded individuals" and do all that stuff.
    If I thought I could just chuck them some money and get some local GPS co-ordinates (or Grid references) from them showing the starts and ends of tracks I'd have done it years ago.

    I generally ride bikes to get away from other people or to doss about with the mates I've had for yonks.

  7. #22
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the comfy chair
    Posts
    2,570
    Like
    530
    Liked 556 in 287 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    A lot of councils have 'definitive' maps online, or at least a list of TRO'd lanes so you can use an OS map and check from there.

    With the TRF it depends on your local group, I can either take a map to a group meeting and mark it, contact the ROW officer who'll confirm a lanes status or advise on a route or ask for routes on the website, as well as join a ride.

  8. The following user liked this post made by crust:


  9. #23
    Should Get Out More Gregor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    5,999
    Like
    1,496
    Liked 494 in 299 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    That to me is quite possibly the most depressing part of the whole offroad riding in the UK thing. No maps that just show where you can go. You have to meet up with "Like minded individuals" and do all that stuff.
    If I thought I could just chuck them some money and get some local GPS co-ordinates (or Grid references) from them showing the starts and ends of tracks I'd have done it years ago.

    I generally ride bikes to get away from other people or to doss about with the mates I've had for yonks.

    Half the fun is getting out there and exploring.It's how I started.An OS Explorer map will give you a pretty good idea where the Byways are then there are other 'white roads' I think they are called many just old roads fallen into disrepair and no longer used regularly.

    I'm not really a social bloke but I've been out with a few TRF groups on some cracking rides and discovered lanes close by I had no idea were rideable.Some of them have been complete nutters too

  10. #24
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    1985
    Posts
    16,360
    Like
    1,272
    Liked 3,609 in 2,193 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    Half the fun is getting out there and exploring.It's how I started.An OS Explorer map will give you a pretty good idea where the Byways are then there are other 'white roads' I think they are called many just old roads fallen into disrepair and no longer used regularly.

    I'm not really a social bloke but I've been out with a few TRF groups on some cracking rides and discovered lanes close by I had no idea were rideable.Some of them have been complete nutters too
    Pretty much the same as my trail riding history
    70mph along Harling Drove was fun wasn't it.

  11. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:


  12. #25
    Should Get Out More Gregor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    5,999
    Like
    1,496
    Liked 494 in 299 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Pretty much the same as my trail riding history
    70mph along Harling Drove was fun wasn't it.
    If that was the sandy one,then no ,I'd never ridden sand before, had road tyres and my eyes shut

  13. #26
    Should Get Out More icarus1859's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not at home
    Posts
    31,561
    Like
    2,633
    Liked 6,142 in 3,177 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    I went out with some TRF blokes, (over 10yrs ago now though) and they rode like twats, round blind bends where there could have been dog walkers, general stupidity like that.
    I gently pointed it out, and said motocross tracks were the place for that sort of thing, whereas trails should be a gentle affair, but they just came out with a load of macho nonsense.
    I didn't go again.

  14. #27
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    1985
    Posts
    16,360
    Like
    1,272
    Liked 3,609 in 2,193 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    If that was the sandy one,then no ,I'd never ridden sand before, had road tyres and my eyes shut
    It was all sandy, but yes it's the long straight one where the bike starts to weave on the sand and the best thing to do is accelerate

  15. #28
    Should Get Out More Claude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,801
    Like
    6,266
    Liked 1,714 in 1,012 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    Was having a debate recently regarding off-roading stuff.

    Living where I do there's plenty of available lanes/trails etc so not a massive issue there.... but I'm often quite time-poor, so I don't forsee many times where I'd get 5-6 hours out. Most of the rides I read about are all day epics, starting early, finishing late afternoon. But they're just not something I could realistically get to manage very often.

    I'm not in some ways time-poor, but I'm certainly limited due to family stuff that means I'd get an hour >90 mins without too many issues (riding time, not cleaning/prep) but more than that, would be tough.

    There's also the MX track within walking distance from my place, but not sure an Enduro like a WR250F would be suited around there ? but that's another debate I guess.

    I guess the question is, if you don't include dressing/faffing time, is an hour here and there really worth it ?

    Is off-road a solo activity for people or more a lads day out type thing ?
    IME no. It's why I quit and went back to road riding. It's a full day affair and riding solo isn't the best idea (depending on the trail difficulty).

  16. #29
    Should Get Out More Weeksy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury/Didcot
    Posts
    56,543
    Like
    2,912
    Liked 10,427 in 5,964 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    To be honest it became a bit of a pipe dream shortly after I started the thread but I'm not convinced it was realistic in the first place. There's only so much time and money in life, I'm poor with both currently. I'd like to think at some stage it's viable, but will end up being me and my boy the majority of the time, but that's not likely to be for several years yet.

  17. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    244
    Like
    35
    Liked 20 in 13 posts

    Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    I went out with some TRF blokes, (over 10yrs ago now though) and they rode like twats, round blind bends where there could have been dog walkers, general stupidity like that.
    I gently pointed it out, and said motocross tracks were the place for that sort of thing, whereas trails should be a gentle affair, but they just came out with a load of macho nonsense.
    I didn't go again.
    Sounds disappointing. I am looking to get into my local group but this kind of thing is of putting and bound to lead to the practice being banned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    IME no. It's why I quit and went back to road riding. It's a full day affair and riding solo isn't the best idea (depending on the trail difficulty).
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    To be honest it became a bit of a pipe dream shortly after I started the thread but I'm not convinced it was realistic in the first place. There's only so much time and money in life, I'm poor with both currently. I'd like to think at some stage it's viable, but will end up being me and my boy the majority of the time, but that's not likely to be for several years yet.

    My recent off road excursion was done in an hour and a half and that included on road parts. Unless you put on dedicated off road gear then I don't see why it can't be a quick hour here and there. In that time I went to two separate locations and had a good play on both. As long as you don't go crazy then people generally don't mind. For instance the two walkers I encountered said nothing except to ask me if I was ok when I pulled over to let them pass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission