TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

Liked 1,169 in 648 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    I went out with some TRF blokes, (over 10yrs ago now though) and they rode like twats, round blind bends where there could have been dog walkers, general stupidity like that.
    I gently pointed it out, and said motocross tracks were the place for that sort of thing, whereas trails should be a gentle affair, but they just came out with a load of macho nonsense.
    I didn't go again.
    I've been riding with the TRF (various branches) for about 10 years now and can honestly say I've only experienced this a couple of times. It's certainly not the TRF policy and the branches are keen to distance themselves from excessive speeds on the green lanes. They do a lot of work clearing lanes and fighting closure orders in the courts, they're hardly going to hazard all that work and expense by RLAC are they? There are some "social" groups who do do that, and ride restricted byways as well. I avoid them as I prefer a gentler ride anyway, plus I don't want to be part of the problem.

In response to the (unasked, but should have been asked) question "why should I join the TRF?" there are a few pretty simple reasons why you should.

1. Runs will be on legal routes and the run leaders have usually been doing them for years, know the best ones and can take you round a good route with minimal wasteful road work.

2. It's a national network that will help you ride in other parts of the country if you want to. I regularly ride with Devon and Herts, and could do several other areas if I got my finger out and asked.

3. Normal TRF max group size is 6 riders so as not to stand out too much to the public. You do get smaller groups and sometimes only one of two going. If you get to know them you'll know who knows the way round and can speak to them privately and go for a run that's not advertised as a group run. Hell, in time you'll get to know the lanes well enough that you could be a run leader yourself. It's about networking and working with people, simples.

4. TRF groups normally run easy/starter rides as well as more challenging. "Challenging" normally means the lanes themselves and fewer breaks rather than pace. Again, you get to know who prefers the gnarlier stuff but it's not hard to find more moderate rides in these days of forums and social media.

5. As mentioned above, the TRF does a lot of work fighting closures at both local and national level, and a large part of your annual membership fee goes into the fighting fund, keeping the lanes open for you.

HTH.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:

Liked 1,554 in 800 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can off-roading be a quick hour or so here and there realistically ?

Yes mine are generally less than an hour over to a mates via the tracks and back and my arms and shoulders are hurting .

Not Much To Do
    Liked 62 in 55 posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    Back in the UK I had an offroad area within 5 mins drive, and I used to go and ride there for half an hour at a time sometimes.
    One day I went with about an hour to spare before I had to pick the kids up from school, I got stuck in a hole with very steep sides, in deep mud. I honestly thought I'd have to abandon the bike, but in the end I had to lay on my back, lie the bike down and heave it slowly up the 10ft side of the hole, an inch at a time. I was so knackered I was heaving, and thought I'd pass out.
    I was late picking the kids up and plastered in mud.
    That was a lesson learned.
    I'm sure there's a phrase for it; when you have absolutely nothing you plan to go out for a long time and are hardly out 30 minutes; when you only have an hour and plan for 30 minutes it invaribaly overruns (for whatever reason) and you end up late for something you should have been early for.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    I don't see why not. Find a decent field somewhere, set up a track and attack it. Should be a great physical workout and if you're gunning it, an hour would be plenty!

S.
    Quote Originally Posted by PanicRevv View Post
    If you have a convenient place to ride, it could be a half n hour!
    This is where a trials bike is better than a crosser or enduro as you do not need a massive amount of space. When Kickstart was on tv we all lapped it up and my mates dad was a wealthy builder and he had a gymkhana set up in his back garden.

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    That to me is quite possibly the most depressing part of the whole offroad riding in the UK thing. No maps that just show where you can go. You have to meet up with "Like minded individuals" and do all that stuff.
    If I thought I could just chuck them some money and get some local GPS co-ordinates (or Grid references) from them showing the starts and ends of tracks I'd have done it years ago.

I generally ride bikes to get away from other people or to doss about with the mates I've had for yonks.
    Always cautious about being in the middle of nowhere on my own; like scuba it is good to buddy up. If something goes wrong, someone is there to look out for you and its good to have a bit of friendly competition and piss-taking of rubbish riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    I've been riding with the TRF (various branches) for about 10 years now and can honestly say I've only experienced this a couple of times. It's certainly not the TRF policy and the branches are keen to distance themselves from excessive speeds on the green lanes. They do a lot of work clearing lanes and fighting closure orders in the courts, they're hardly going to hazard all that work and expense by RLAC are they? There are some "social" groups who do do that, and ride restricted byways as well. I avoid them as I prefer a gentler ride anyway, plus I don't want to be part of the problem.

In response to the (unasked, but should have been asked) question "why should I join the TRF?" there are a few pretty simple reasons why you should.

1. Runs will be on legal routes and the run leaders have usually been doing them for years, know the best ones and can take you round a good route with minimal wasteful road work.

2. It's a national network that will help you ride in other parts of the country if you want to. I regularly ride with Devon and Herts, and could do several other areas if I got my finger out and asked.

3. Normal TRF max group size is 6 riders so as not to stand out too much to the public. You do get smaller groups and sometimes only one of two going. If you get to know them you'll know who knows the way round and can speak to them privately and go for a run that's not advertised as a group run. Hell, in time you'll get to know the lanes well enough that you could be a run leader yourself. It's about networking and working with people, simples.

4. TRF groups normally run easy/starter rides as well as more challenging. "Challenging" normally means the lanes themselves and fewer breaks rather than pace. Again, you get to know who prefers the gnarlier stuff but it's not hard to find more moderate rides in these days of forums and social media.

5. As mentioned above, the TRF does a lot of work fighting closures at both local and national level, and a large part of your annual membership fee goes into the fighting fund, keeping the lanes open for you.

HTH.
    Before nerc I rode out a few times with the local TRF and they were keen to give the moto crossers a piece of their mind if they were using the lanes as the deeper tread chewed the trails up and the local ramblers were already using it to get the council to ban us (didn't have coppers on off road bikes then)

A Bit Bored
    Liked 13 in 9 posts

Find a decent field somewhere, set up a track and attack it.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

I find myself riding on totally new trails when i go off trail alone which can be dangerous sometimes, why i'd advocate for not doing it alone. When you are out there alone it's also so easy to lose track of time, but that could as well happen when you are with other people.

Liked 1,169 in 648 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by comprar View Post
    Find a decent field somewhere, set up a track and attack it.
    A great way of pissing off farmers who we rely on to keep byways open, not to mention getting in the press tarring us all as hooligan bikers, plus of course hopefully getting arrested and/or your bike confiscated and crushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Annabellam View Post
    I find myself riding on totally new trails when i go off trail alone which can be dangerous sometimes, why i'd advocate for not doing it alone. When you are out there alone it's also so easy to lose track of time, but that could as well happen when you are with other people.
    There was a former forum member here (dear old Dirtybill) who used to enjoy getting out into the wilderness in the States on his own. One time IIRC he broke a leg and had to ride the bike back to where somebody could find him. If he hadn't been able to he could well have died. Riding alone can be liberating but it's also potentially risky, even over here. I've been on rides where bikes have had to be lifted off fallers. I wouldn't say don't do it, just be aware of the risks and make sure somebody knows where to look for you, just in case.

9. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:

Liked 1,037 in 602 posts

IME no, not good for just a couple of hours. When I was Greenlaning with 'LordLucan' it was an all day affair, though typically that included oil/filter change at the start of the day and a jetwash clean up at the end.
    Lack of time was my main reason for stopping, favoring a road bike instead where I could just go for an hour blast.

Spending time with TRF was good along with the throttle monkey/muddy monkey boys.
    I'd like to do it again sometime, maybe when my boys are older. Bluetooth comms will make a massive difference, so much better than walkie talkies...
    Last edited by Claude; 13-03-17 at 15:07.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Go Back to Forum My Forum