TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mofo Motor

Liked 10,229 in 5,864 posts

Default Re: New Mofo Motor

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I quite like the wheel decal in honesty...

Now.. why the fook haven't you booked Donny or indeed Pembrey.

2. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Liked 1,771 in 1,157 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    I quite like the wheel decal in honesty...

Now.. why the fook haven't you booked Donny or indeed Pembrey.
    Lost a bit of my trackday mojo tbh plus Brands is far closer and suited to the 690 if I did do a trackday on it. But also I've still got the track R6 as well, when I get it running. Did have a brief chat with my brother about a Brands day as I can ride there in about an hour and him on the XT we can hoon around in the slow group without getting in the big bikes way.

My old R6 has popped up. Funny how the 2nd hand market has gone as this is priced 400 quid more than I paid 2 years and 5500 miles ago. Didn't lose a lot on it either. Bloody good bike that was. Still glad I made the swap though
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YZF...0AAOSwezVWuw10

Took the bike out today for its first ever ride. First few minutes felt odd a combination of not riding for months and riding a new bike. Duke is surprisingly easy to ride. Round town and in 30s it's really smooth. Far easier and better than my old ones. Felt fine to me and way easier than the Firestorm. You can tell it's a single but it's pretty refined. Can sounds lame on tick over by ok on the bike on the move, engine is loud and clattery and as it heated up stank of new metal getting hot. Gear box is great best I've used I think although got a couple of false nuturals later in the ride I think by not being aggressive enough with the changes I think it was 4th to 5th. Didn't really rev it past 6k and used 3-5k revs mainly. Dealer said 7k was fine but thought at the moment I'll stick to 6k like the book at least for 1st hundred or so miles. Pulls well but feels like it will really go when revd hard which I've not really done. It spins up fast for a single and 5k rpm was 75mph in top. Red line is at 8k. Handling felt a little odd till I settled down a bit as I hardly needed to lean to get round corners and roads had a fair amount of shit on them. Bit of white dried salt in places but mainly the middle 3rd of the road mud/dirt. Went to Finchingfield and on to s. Walden and looped home. Fuckin frozen when I was half way through ride which spoilt it a little as was really feeling cold. Noticed the windblast a fair bit after having a faring for so long on the plus side the vents in my lid work which they didn't so much on the R6. Towards the end of the ride though was into the handling which is soo easy. Just think it round and it goes. Brakes felt good but didn't really use them hard. Suspension is great, soaks up bumps but firm. Just about perfect for the roads I ride. I felt like the engine was a little soft at times, but it's on the soft map which I'm keeping it in for running in. That's how it arrived and for now will stop me being overly aggressive with it. Might change that after a few hundred miles and certainly once run in. Not slow but just lacked a little umpf, fairly torquey midrange though and glimpses of what's to come when you cain it. Seats decent, I was out 2 hours and bum was fine. Rest of me felt good too, the same ride on the R6 would have left me a raspberry. Bike got a little bit of muck on it and poss some powdered salt but too cold to go back out to wash it plus hoping to go out tomorrow. All in all very happy with it. Really looking forward to getting used to it and run in and I think it'll be a little hooligan.

6. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

Great stuff. Happy days.

I may sell my Leo Vince exhaust if you're interested. Save me fitting and removing for track etc.

Great stuff. Happy days.

I may sell my Leo Vince exhaust if you're interested. Save me fitting and removing for track etc.
    Keep me posted, not sure if I'm gonna get a can or not yet but let me know in case I do. Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    Keep me posted, not sure if I'm gonna get a can or not yet but let me know in case I do. Ta
    150+ post.

150+ post.
    I'll have it

Did another 60 odd miles and really starting to enjoy it, it's just so much fun even at legal-ish speeds. Rev'd it a little higher and you can really feel it start pulling. Getting more used to the handling so was chucking it around more. Came home with a big grin on my chops.

Then I saw a little wisp of smoke as I was looking it over at home. Aghhh got a small oil leak. You can all point fingers and say I told you so now 130 odd miles to the first leak. It looks fairly minor I think from a bolt in the engine case and the oil has spread down the left engine case and dripped onto the cat. Oil level is fine and I know hot oil looks often worse than it is. Called dealer and said prob fine to leave till 600 mile service unless I was worried but as I'm off I'm thinking I'm gonna run it down there tomorrow esp as BH weekend is coming up.

In the pic I think it's the bolt to the left of the pic. Prob needs new o ring or washer and a tighten but as it's brand new I'll let them puzzle it out.

Attachment 37450

Attachment 37451

Ok that's odd for some reason the pics have turned upside down? So its the bolt on the right and the engine us upside down in that pic. Can't seem to turn it round as it's fine on my phone

Rses.

Rses.
    My thoughts too. Hopefully an easy fix though

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,399 in 2,055 posts

Looks like an oil level plug, probably just wants tightening, I'd be tempted to loctite it

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Looks like an oil level plug, probably just wants tightening, I'd be tempted to loctite it
    I said about tightening it to the bloke on the phone and he said don't until they know what bolt it is. I'm off tomorrow so will pop in there it's only 15 miles from me. My guess is its a 10 min fix but would rather cover myself whilst in warranty

16. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

We seem to be oil tight Rode over to the KTM Centre and they confirmed it was the oil level screw. They replaced the crush washer and put some sealant on it. Did another 60 miles on it and no more oil so hopefully job jobbed.

Nearly didn't make it to the dealer though. I got a little carried away leaving Hertford via a roundabout and the Ickle Duke plus a combination of 150 mile old cold tyre not scrubbed to the edge, the start of the torque curve and a cack handed idiot rider nearly put me on the moon fuggin thing came round so far I thought I was gone. My Brother was following me and said I laid a proper darkie off the roundabout. Raised me heart rate a little.

After the dealer we had a blat back and aside from me being a bit cautious of the tyres had a riot. On the way to the dealer the M25 was shut so the 414 was heaving with traffic but the Duke was soo easy to ride in traffic. Tractable and smooth, higher than the cars and really comfy. On the way home we went via the twistes and the bike handles so well and flys when rev'd. Switched to the XT so Tel could have a go and in comparison the Duke feels a lot lighter and handles much more like a sorted roadbike. The XT feels like it has a load of torque straight off tick over but the KTM spins soo fast and over 4k takes off. Doubt there is much in it in real world a to b riding but the Duke feels quicker and so smooth in comparison. I am loving this bike, it's a little like my old 625 but better in every way and so smooth. Roll on summer

18. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Supermofo:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 68 in 43 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post

We seem to be oil tight Rode over to the KTM Centre and they confirmed it was the oil level screw. They replaced the crush washer and put some sealant on it. Did another 60 miles on it and no more oil so hopefully job jobbed.

Nearly didn't make it to the dealer though. I got a little carried away leaving Hertford via a roundabout and the Ickle Duke plus a combination of 150 mile old cold tyre not scrubbed to the edge, the start of the torque curve and a cack handed idiot rider nearly put me on the moon fuggin thing came round so far I thought I was gone. My Brother was following me and said I laid a proper darkie off the roundabout. Raised me heart rate a little.

After the dealer we had a blat back and aside from me being a bit cautious of the tyres had a riot. On the way to the dealer the M25 was shut so the 414 was heaving with traffic but the Duke was soo easy to ride in traffic. Tractable and smooth, higher than the cars and really comfy. On the way home we went via the twistes and the bike handles so well and flys when rev'd. Switched to the XT so Tel could have a go and in comparison the Duke feels a lot lighter and handles much more like a sorted roadbike. The XT feels like it has a load of torque straight off tick over but the KTM spins soo fast and over 4k takes off. Doubt there is much in it in real world a to b riding but the Duke feels quicker and so smooth in comparison. I am loving this bike, it's a little like my old 625 but better in every way and so smooth. Roll on summer
    I couldn't believe how light it felt and how easy it is to ride. So smooth and no on and off jerky feeling or hunting when doing slow. Only revved it to 6 thou and it really starts to take off. It's so nice squirting from one corner to another.

Couldn't get used to the handling. Like it's on a Knife edge and super sharp handling. So impressive in every way. What a cracking bike. 👍

It spins the rear well on cold tyres 😂 Definite brown pants time 💩

20. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Tel 636:

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission