TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking in or running discuss!

Should Get Out More Deer Stalker's Avatar
    Liked 616 in 440 posts

Default Re: Breaking in or running discuss!

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Probably as much to do with the manufacturer not wanting any warranty or otherwise claims/actions while someone is getting used to the machine. Brakes and tyres being possibly the biggest concern such as glazing issues down the road...

Liked 5,588 in 3,499 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maccecht View Post
    So this breaking in lark on new bikes who has or has not done it by the book on their new bike. Yorick gets a new Gixxer brand spanky and then thrashes it on the track immediately?? Do you Yorick? How does this work with demonstrators? all walks of life turn up at the local dealer and take out the latest model and thrash it. None most certainly get the breaking in required by the manual yet the warranty still applies doesn't it? Picking up a new bike Saturday with 8 miles on the clock and the "breaking in" will be a 200 mile dash back to Kent and certainly not at 4k rpm recommended by the book.
    Yup, the drive home is the running in Then it's on track. Never had any problems. They only put it in the manual to protect their arse.

Cars don't need running in, so why bikes ?

Liked 1,005 in 840 posts

Anyone ever heard of a manufacture pointing back at the run-in, as a reason not to pay out if the engine goes pop?

I haven't, just curious.

Liked 6,885 in 3,894 posts

Quote Originally Posted by joe19 View Post
    Anyone ever heard of a manufacture pointing back at the run-in, as a reason not to pay out if the engine goes pop?

I haven't, just curious.
    I guess it would depend on what information is held on the ECU as to weather they could actually prove you didn't follow the run in.

At Work
    Liked 88 in 76 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    Mine gets exactly what it says in the manual.

I feel that the blokes who design, build, manufacture and test motorbikes know a fuck load more about it than some random spacko on the internet.
    I tend to agree, although it might be back covering, there must be a reason to still have it in the manual. There is a nagging part of me that feels they still put in a bike manual as the average rider is more likely to cane it and RLAC compared to the average driver and could claim this to avoid any warranty work.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    I did read an 'off the record' interview with a Kawasaki engineer, he said that modern engines are made to such high tolerances that you don't need to run a bike in (just don't overly load the engine for the first few miles)... however they still put it in hand book because it covers them if a bike blows for some reason.

Could be bollocks tho'
    I was told when I was first riding that the first 25 miles are the most critical and by 50 everything should be well bedded in; follow run in guidelines and raise the revs occasionally but don't pin it at high revs. When I was a courier the older guys would always swear by running in as the engine would last longer.

I did have a bandit 600 I tried to get a warranty on the clutch as it gave up, Suzuki refused but the new clutch fitted only lasted 3 days! Apparently it was rider abuse, spoke to one of their mechanics I knew from Enduro days and he said he didn't work on my bike but got me a number for Suzuki. I tried to have it out with the guy at the end of the phone but he wouldn't budge (made me more angry as he didn't have a bike licence and had never raced but he could criticise my riding based on a phone call). Turned out to be a warped clutch basket but it was all a bit academic after it was written off a few weeks later

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,174 in 1,916 posts

My DRZ got one slow lap, followed by trying to get sand and grit into every nook and cranny, everything wore in very quickly.

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,808 in 2,725 posts

I suggest the main reason for taking it easy on a newly built bike is merely to make sure it has been assembled correctly. A minor engine fault on a car will leave you stuck on the side of the road. A similar fault on a two wheeler might leave you stuck to it.

S.

8. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Liked 231 in 174 posts
    Blog Entries

It's never long into a thread on running in that someone will quote the motorman's methods but if it did work there would be evidence to prove it. Even his own evidence is limited to a few photos. There is nothing to demonstrate that his method provides the best solution for long term use.

It's probably best to understand what you consider to be the aim of the running in process, also to consider whether that actually differs from that of the manufacturer, especially if you think it is appropriate to do something different from the manufacturer recommendations.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 89 in 70 posts

would I be right in saying that if you buy a new bike you will do it again next time around, maybe 2 to 3 yrs later? if that is the case most would not worry about the running in as it would be part ex'd before any potential problems arose. purely speculation as I have never bought new, I buy the thrashed part exchange shite.

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,808 in 2,725 posts

Not in my case. Last new bike I bought, a fox eye FireBlade, I dropped in the first 2 miles on wet cobbles. Thrashed the nuts off it from that moment on, didn't miss a beat for the 20 thousand miles I had it. Though it did have to get used to being dropped...

12. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Liked 3,717 in 2,511 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maccecht View Post
    Picking up a new bike Saturday with 8 miles on the clock and the "breaking in" will be a 200 mile dash back to Kent and certainly not at 4k rpm recommended by the book.
    How was it ridden for that eight miles?

14. The following user liked this post made by ink ink:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 14 in 9 posts

the genral consensus around the motoman break in if you do a search for reviews, is the bikes dont use oil!! where as some bike bought second hand and broke using manual is they use oil!!

heres the dyno print from out 2 bikes, mines ther blue line

Liked 5,588 in 3,499 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4vr View Post
    the genral consensus around the motoman break in if you do a search for reviews, is the bikes dont use oil!! where as some bike bought second hand and broke using manual is they use oil!!
    I put that through Google translate and still made no sense

Liked 79 in 62 posts
    Blog Entries

Everyone has their own ideas as you can see........
    rule of thumb really is too gentle and you'll glaze the bores and it'll drink oil (common on a LOT of BMW's)
    thrash it, get good power and maybe use oil but not always....
    heat cycle it....open to debate
    personally I take the view like CC, a few miles to bed brakes and tyres in and warm all the fluids up to temp then ride it without worrying about rev limits and all that, all my bikes have made good power on the dyno, used little or no oil and none of them have blown up......inc my BMW which uses no oil between services, make of that what you will

Should Get Out More Mr Rooty Tooty's Avatar
    Liked 4,247 in 2,551 posts
    Blog Entries

I first heard about the "thrash it" theory when rebuilding two strokes, so I did that.

Worked fine.

When I started buying four strokes new I thought...either follow the gay little break in period properly (not gonna happen) or stick to my guns and thrash them. So gave them a couple heat cycles and then rode to the perimeter road round the corner and pinned in first gear to the limiter...up and down the road a few times pinned and loaded up.

No problem with any bike.

The guy who dropped my new car off the other day said shit all about break in

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission