TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking in or running discuss!

Liked 893 in 496 posts

Default Breaking in or running discuss!

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    So this breaking in lark on new bikes who has or has not done it by the book on their new bike. Yorick gets a new Gixxer brand spanky and then thrashes it on the track immediately?? Do you Yorick? How does this work with demonstrators? all walks of life turn up at the local dealer and take out the latest model and thrash it. None most certainly get the breaking in required by the manual yet the warranty still applies doesn't it? Picking up a new bike Saturday with 8 miles on the clock and the "breaking in" will be a 200 mile dash back to Kent and certainly not at 4k rpm recommended by the book.

Liked 10,215 in 5,858 posts

Default Re: Breaking in or running discuss!

Mine gets exactly what it says in the manual.

I feel that the blokes who design, build, manufacture and test motorbikes know a fuck load more about it than some random spacko on the internet.

3. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Weeksy:

Liked 7,166 in 4,038 posts

I've only had one brand new bike... 1999 Yamaha R6.

I ran it in to the book... until 200 miles... when I got really bored and started raping it.

I put 26,000 miles on it in 3 years and at the end it was drinking 1lt of oil per 200 miles.

I've no idea if it was to do with not running it in correctly or just general wear and tear. It did have a very very hard life.

5. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 14 in 9 posts

@ 8 miles its already run in, just ride it and change oil @ 200 miles or so

rings seat very quickly, myself and my buddy bought the same bikes new, i just rode mine not trashed it, he followed the book, mine has around 10 more hp than hes and pulls harder down low, same dyno less than 20mins apart!

engines arent designed to be laboured,

check motomans website!

Quote Originally Posted by 4vr View Post

check motomans website!
    Who does he work for ?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 14 in 9 posts

no one i dont think, hes independant!

no one i dont think, hes independant!
    So he's basically just a random mechanic who's had decent dyno figures after running in a particular way.

Sure, I have no doubt his figures are right... But does that make it the best plan for longevity ? Oil consumption ? Warranty ? I'm yet to be convinced.

If he's correct, why do Ducati, KTM, Yamaha, Honda all have fairly similar running in plans ? All of which are completely different to this random bloke on the internet ?

Liked 1,771 in 1,157 posts

Well I'm getting my brand new bike tonight. It'll be my 5th new one.

1st I ran by the book till 1500 miles or whatever it said (99 model Fazer)

2nd was a KTM Duke II which I did by the book I think.

3rd KTM 625 SMC. No rev counter so rode without labouring engine or reving it's nuts off but just sort of normally but without the mad moments.

4th 06 Z750 which I rode under 4k for about 10 miles before I got bored and just rode it normally. Again no constant revs, no red line, no labouring at really low revs/high load.

I prob won't ride the 690 Duke for a few weeks yet but dealer said keep between 3.5k and 7k revs. Apparently this is good enough for 90mph in top. So tbh ill prob just ride like I normally do but without going bonkers for 600 miles.

As to effects I had no problems with any of the bikes but most I put 10k on which prob isn't enough to judge either way. For me I wouldn't over or under rev them and avoid constant revs but beyond that it's all good. I've read lots of thrash from the off articles and most of those bikes are fine. I'd hazard a guess you won't notice a diff for a number of years/miles though if at all.

At Work
    Liked 844 in 301 posts

engines arent designed to be laboured,
    You don't labour the engine when you run it in , your supposed to use the gears more and
    keep the engine free revving without over revving.

12. The following 2 users liked this useful post by khd:

Liked 7,166 in 4,038 posts

I did read an 'off the record' interview with a Kawasaki engineer, he said that modern engines are made to such high tolerances that you don't need to run a bike in (just don't overly load the engine for the first few miles)... however they still put it in hand book because it covers them if a bike blows for some reason.

Could be bollocks tho'

A Bit Bored
    Liked 14 in 9 posts

Quote Originally Posted by khd View Post
    You don't labour the engine when you run it in , your supposed to use the gears more and
    thats true, but the book doesnt tell you that, most people will pussy foot in that gear till they change to the next, thats labouring!

and yes they say that to cover them selves!! same as not using the dealer while in warrenty,

and as for motoman, check his pistons out compared to a "manual" run in bike!

most of my 2 stroke bikes, ive always used the dry method to seat ring!

Should Get Out More TheEnglishman's Avatar
    Liked 708 in 443 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    ... modern engines are made to such high tolerances that you don't need to run a bike in (just don't overly load the engine for the first few miles)...
    I've heard the same from a fair few people who know what they're talking about.

I run mine in by keeping off the motorway for the first 600 miles and not thrashing it or cracking open the throttle in 6th at 30mph.

There's that guy who says thrash a new engine for the first 50 miles on a Dyno and it goes great - but I heard opinion that this method is great for race engines but not so good if you plan on getting over 100,000k on the bike.

And I don't see demonstrators getting thrashed - it's kinda really hard to genuinely thrash a bike, at least around London, especially if there's a big excess hanging over the test ride. I actually think it's a good way to run one in - a bit of a ride through the gears followed by a cool down, rinse, repeat...

Liked 316 in 193 posts

Don't new bikes come with thinner oil in the motor, hence needing a service to change to spec oil fairly soon mileage wise?

Quote Originally Posted by khd View Post
    Pretty much what I've always been told.

Liked 893 in 496 posts

Its a CVT so it will climb the gears itself until it gets into top and will sit around 5.5-6k on the motorway. Not sure it's possible labour a CVT

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,756 in 1,683 posts

I do a few miles sensibly then use as normal, I'm more concerned letting the chassis settle and scrub tyres in than the engine tbh

There was no mention of running in on the last new cars I've had, just bring in at 20k for a service, bikes must have better tolerances as they rev higher

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission