TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Breaking in or running discuss!

Liked 231 in 174 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Breaking in or running discuss!

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    * Polite cough *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MO-vrFSZl8

I guess this debate ended some time ago...
    That's fake. A good attempt but fake nonetheless. You can tell by the shadows.

2. The following user liked this post made by burty:

Liked 231 in 174 posts
    Blog Entries

My Z1000sx had 1200 miles on it when I bought it so the initial break in period was done and completely out of my control. I did nothing particularly special to run it in after that, although it's never been ragged particularly hard (I suspect that would be virtually impossible to do on a modern 1000cc bike on the road anyway). It's covered 55000 miles now and has never needed any oil between oil changes. To be honest I don't really know what this process or doesn't prove.

I have just bought a new car, and there is no special running in instructions whatsoever.

Liked 1,662 in 986 posts

Quote Originally Posted by burty View Post
    That's fake. A good attempt but fake nonetheless. You can tell by the shadows.
    Correct! Photoshop innit!!?

Liked 872 in 488 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    * Polite cough *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MO-vrFSZl8

I guess this debate ended some time ago...
    Shaft drives can't wheelie was a reference to a very old thread hence the smiley

Liked 872 in 488 posts

Well the bike now has 50k miles on it. Unfortunately the engine damaged a main bearing at 32k miles but up until then it never used oil. The replacement engine which had only 12k miles on it does use oil. Bike has been generally reliable. 2 sets of wheel bearings one rectifier and the engine but seems this is a one off so far no one on the burgman forum has ever had the same issue. My latest purchase a Honda XADV got the same running in treatment as this bike as in not a lot ran normally straight out of the box.

Liked 40 in 27 posts
    Blog Entries

My 2t gets 3 heat cycles, then banzai.
    My last/current bike was purchased with 300 miles on the clock, and the 1st service had been done, so just ridden normally. Just coming g up to its first proper service and oil levels are cock on.
    My biggest worry is that you are chugging around with a sump full of micro swarf which becomes a very effective grinding paste being pumped around your engine. The sooner it is out the better imo

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,408 in 890 posts

Since this thread has been resurrected, I thought some of you may be interested in this article about the Ducati factory. In particular
    "The average time for production of one engine is 70 minutes until completion. After the assembly, we have the test of the engine. We take the engine and we make a cold test without petrol. All we are doing here is verifying all the engines we make day by day. The cold test is made just adding some oil inside the engine. Considering that we don't use gasoline, we connect the engine to an electric motor that makes the movement of the pistons, the camshafts and the rocker.

"The engine runs for three minutes at 3000 revs per minute and during the test there are sensors on the engine that monitor the power of the engine with a computer. This test is made for verifying two main things: first the compression of the oil in the head and in the main body, and second, verify the quality of the assembly. We are human, after all; we can make mistakes. If the computer approves the engine, we send it straight to the production line for the motorcycle. In the case that the engine fails the computer test, we dismantle it and reassemble until it passes again."
    and

Once the bikes are assembled fully without their fairings, it's time for the dyno test. First, the rear wheel is fixed, and the front wheel is manipulated to test the inbuilt speed sensor and ABS components. Then the bike is moved forward and the front wheel is fixed, so the rear wheel speed sensor and traction control electronics can be verified. And then, the engine is fired up a bike that was just pieces in a box a couple of hours ago now springs to life and its full 200 horsepower are unleashed on the dyno in repeated power tests.

You might choose to run your engine in gently, babying it like the book says, but I can verify that this man has given it an absolute gumboot full and taken it to redline several times before it even went in the crate. Next, dyno complete, it's off to in-house emissions testing.
    Maybe a new Ducati doesn't need running in.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,131 in 1,275 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sadlonelygit View Post
    My 2t gets 3 heat cycles, then banzai.
    My last/current bike was purchased with 300 miles on the clock, and the 1st service had been done, so just ridden normally. Just coming g up to its first proper service and oil levels are cock on.
    My biggest worry is that you are chugging around with a sump full of micro swarf which becomes a very effective grinding paste being pumped around your engine. The sooner it is out the better imo
    If only someone would invent a system for filtering crap out of the oil.

Liked 40 in 27 posts
    Blog Entries

Hence why I said micro swarf.
    Why do they fit magnetic sump plugs, and why do they usually have a coating of metal on them when you change the oil. Surely the filter should catch it?
    When I used to PDI quads, we ALWAYS took them out for a good ride, then dropped the oil and filter, knowing full well we wouldn't see it again for 6 months. To my knowledge never had one come back with engine problems without outside help from the farmhands who used to rag them stupid.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission