TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ye Olde Forge

Should Get Out Soon Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 4,580 in 2,123 posts

Default Re: Ye Olde Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    I'll give it one more day but it doesn't even begin to look like I'll be pulling them out. One more days digging and then I'm going to cut them off as flush as I can and build up the "floor" to match.

Quoted myself to put these images together. Thats a whole load of dirt to disappear.

Getting there though. I may need to leave a far bit of it to retain some strength in the wall behind which is also piled up with dirt.

Bloody back is killing me.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

The plan now is to burn out that stump!

I'll video that.

Then reconstruct the strange brickwork thing, lower it, level it off and think about forge options. Propane is looking most likely.

Oh, yeah, and fit a roof over the area.

Liked 738 in 380 posts

The council came to visit me when I removed a tree, proper moody little shits. Nothing ever came of it but they made out like it would.

My new place is listed, any works need permission, even planting veg. Not that I ever remember to get it.

I'm great with fire if you want a hand? I can make up some thermite just in case normal fire is not up to the job :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpuk View Post
    The council came to visit me when I removed a tree, proper moody little shits. Nothing ever came of it but they made out like it would.

My new place is listed, any works need permission, even planting veg. Not that I ever remember to get it.

I'm great with fire if you want a hand? I can make up some thermite just in case normal fire is not up to the job :-)
    Yeah, conservation area here too. they don't really care though. Shame I couldn't come up with a use for that 20 year old compost heap! Good dirt that was. Some of it sprinkled on the lawn, the rest just got buried

I'll wait with the stump then. Thermite would be fun, I have plenty of metal powder for my spray welding thingy which I haven't got round to playing with yet either. With the stump I was going to drill some holes, fill with fire and hit with a leafblower.

S.

Working on a simple propane forge. he idea is to design something and actually make it so this is as simple as I could get it. Folded from 4mm steel, Calcium Silicate board and fire bricks for the base.

Am working on the front door(s). Just a simple insulated flap with a hole perhaps so I can leave longer pieces in it. Needs a little support arm at the front for the tongs to rest on. Rear "door" is removable for extra long bits. Burner is a simple atmospheric type.

Case is fully assembled and welded, top is removable screwed in place. Insulation interlocks and is held in place with fire bricks at the bottom. Fire bricks held in place by gravity.

Copied the overall design from one I saw on GlenGS Tongs YouTube channel though I have added a few touches to make it easier to build.

Liked 894 in 553 posts

if you want simple, go buy a Tesco/asda el cheapo hairdryer, and scrounge a chunk of exhaust tube from your local garage, bit of brake line to inject the gas into the airstream, and bobs your granny. forced air is a lot easier and quicker to get right than a venturi driven job. Also , the superlight breeze blocks can be used as insulation and you can cut them with a cheap hardpoint saw. You don't need any metalwork at all for a working furnace/forge. Check your temp ratings on the silicate boards, they tend to get extremely brittle after exposure to high temps, and will often not support their own weight. they also don't usually cope well with direct flame impingement.

9. The following user liked this post made by Big Pete:

It needs to be a sturdy metal box because it's going to live outside. The venturi design is inefficient but super simple and much more likely to pop into reality. It bolts on so can be upgraded if it ever happens. Calcium Silicate is only rated to 1000 degrees C but is cheap and the design makes them easy to replace. If it works, I can replace with much higher rated (much more expensive) boards. Celcon/Thermalite blocks are cheap but won't last as long as refractory boards and are too delicate for the base, they're also a lot bigger and bulkier.

Some progress.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Liked 894 in 553 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    It needs to be a sturdy metal box because it's going to live outside. The venturi design is inefficient but super simple and much more likely to pop into reality. It bolts on so can be upgraded if it ever happens. Calcium Silicate is only rated to 1000 degrees C but is cheap and the design makes them easy to replace. If it works, I can replace with much higher rated (much more expensive) boards. Celcon/Thermalite blocks are cheap but won't last as long as refractory boards and are too delicate for the base, they're also a lot bigger and bulkier.
    you might have some issues with the burner pointing down, the venture burners can be sensitive buggers at times. Avoid direct flame impingement on the boards if you can, they will die in no time if the flame is on them, tbh, none of the board type refractories are great with direct heat, castable is way more robust ( I used to work with 1000-1400C rigs on a daily basis) if you are going to touch it at all. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but these guys are worth a look

http://www.johnwinter.co.uk/model-engineering/

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you might have some issues with the burner pointing down, the venture burners can be sensitive buggers at times. Avoid direct flame impingement on the boards if you can, they will die in no time if the flame is on them, tbh, none of the board type refractories are great with direct heat, castable is way more robust ( I used to work with 1000-1400C rigs on a daily basis) if you are going to touch it at all. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but these guys are worth a look

http://www.johnwinter.co.uk/model-engineering/
    If you look at the design, the base is replaceable fire brick. Should be ok. Sides and top are boards.

Backbreaking work under the canopy, digging at roots.

I am sifting some of the soil which is pretty damned decent dirt with lots of leaf litter.

Most of the bulk is this:

Another couple of days and I reckon I'll be down to ground level.

S.

14. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

16. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Screwdriver:

Liked 894 in 553 posts

I saw the firebrick on the bottom, might be worth putting a couple on edge along the sides

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    I saw the firebrick on the bottom, might be worth putting a couple on edge along the sides
    Yes, might not be a bad idea to keep the heat concentrated depending on what is going in there. The design is based around my Flypress and available tooling. All I need is some sheet metal and it should virtually make itself. I could throw something together that works but the whole point is in the design and making. That's the part that fires me up.

...and it's got me to finally clear that bloody great pile of mud!

More sweat and dirt.

That's a lot of extra room to play with.

I could probably squeeze a shed in there...

Frog or toad?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum