TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Ye Olde Forge

Should Get Out Soon Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 4,583 in 2,124 posts

Default Re: Ye Olde Forge

Man, these old band stands are tough!

Got it reasonably dinged but it was too awkward to bend in the press. Remembering there are two spars so you can't easily bend one at a time. So I pulled it square with a lorry tie down.

Surprisingly accurate bend all things considered. It looks bang on and it fits.

Just need to find some sheets of ply, decorate them with roofing felt and should have a lid by the weekend.

Not too far off the plan either.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. The following 5 users liked this useful post by Screwdriver:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 103 in 62 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post

Have you thought of using 100mm hollow concrete blocks? Drill 3-5 10mm holes in the top two/three courses of the existing brick wall, drop some lengths of rebar in said holes and then build up the 'splash back', and back fill the hollows with some concrete.

S'what I'd do mister...

5. The following user liked this post made by Newfish:

Should Get Out Soon Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 4,583 in 2,124 posts

Not a bad idea at all thanks but I already have a fair few of those dense blocks lying around. That's why I was looking at those first. Also I quite like the idea of having an angle iron frame because I can weld hinges to it and make the lid work. Those slabs are HEAVY.

I may even go a step further and install some stupidly heavy duty supports which would double up as posts for a cantilever roof. Imagine two posts either side of the splashback, concreted into the ground, bolted to the structure and rising up to roof level. Like a bus stop now I think of it!

I did the second bandstand to match the first in mirror image. The frame is now a regular square (near as dammit) and I just need to either fabricate a couple of single "legs" or chop a spare piece up so I can fit the third level.

7. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Screwdriver:

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Go Back to Forum My Forum