TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Ye Olde Forge

Liked 1,708 in 1,010 posts

Default Re: Ye Olde Forge

My doc told me the best for a bad back was to paint the ceiling.

Fair shout, sitting and laying hurts, stretching less so, and doing a shitty job like that takes your mind off it.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Should Get Out Soon Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 4,674 in 2,174 posts

Back is still killing me but my long suffering neighbour finally stumped up the other spare panels.

The plan is to make the narrow panel a door. I can put a rack at the back of the area for storing long stock. Having a door means I can slide it in/out easily without having to manoeuvre long lengths of steel in an enclosed space.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Screwdriver; 23-07-17 at 23:22.

4. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Ok before anyone says anything, I didn't get where I am today by being sensible

So having gotten that out of the way. I bought this:

I say "bought" because as some of you may have guessed, I have run out of money. I do enjoy a bit of pressure though so the pressure is now on to start really selling. On top of that, it's the wrong side of Birmingham in Stafford (Stoke-On-Trent, Penkridge). The seller can palletise it and I reckon I can get it shipped or maybe borrow a van etc.

Meantime, just on the off chance, is any one passing that way any time soon might be able to pick it up?

In my defence, it was stupidly cheap and well worth the stress...

6. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Slight cop out on the side door. That can wait until I can find those gate hinges I saw just the other day. Meantime I just screwed it into the freestanding woodwork...

A few lengths of batten and the judicious use of extra long screws an zipties (!)

I still think it will look better with a bit of camo...

But it's getting to be a useable space. Soon as I can stump up 145 for a gas forge we'll be off!

Liked 924 in 557 posts

You can build something that will do the same thing as that forge for ~ a third of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    You can build something that will do the same thing as that forge for ~ a third of the cost.
    Go on then. Show me how to build something that will "do the same thing" for 50.

Another "found object" finds its way into a build. A full sheet of exterior ply, cut down to suit and it was already green.

I made up a fillet of roof and rather than paint it, I decided to clad it with some torch on bitumen I found...

You can see where I tested a patch prior to going for it. It was actually quite good fun and smells lovely (as now do I).

Bit excessive but like I said, good fun and the process might come in handy on something else.

It doesn't need durability, just as well because that's not really what this stuff is for. Looks like it would make a good underlay. Top surface is a fragile thin plastic coat on top of low melting temp bituminised rubber.

It's just resting until I chop down the beams to suit.

If I had planned this awkward part, I would have done it differently but it will do. There's still every chance this thing will have to come down. It now looks a bit too much like a shed. "Field shelter" or not, it will turn up on Google Earth and eventually the planning office will turn up at my door...

Liked 924 in 557 posts

raid your local garage for a chunk of exhaust pipe, buy an Asda own brand hairdryer (under a tenner), I use an old vacuum cleaner hose (and some duct tape) to connect the two together, but it's not essential if the pipe is long enough. 6 inches of copper brake line, bend the last 2 inches or so to a right angle and stick it through a hole drilled in the side of the exhaust pipe, araldite into place. Connect hose from propane regulator (~20) to the brake line. You need a 14 of the thermalite blocks, 12 built into a tunnel, plus 2 for the ends. drill a hole big enough for the exhaust pipe through the side of one the tunnel blocks.

throw a piece of burning cardboard into the tunnel, then turn on the gas, followed by the hairdryer on cold. you run rich or lean depending on how much gas you feed in, which can be handy for things like forge welding and case hardening. If you run a neutral flame you can avoid carbon pickup and surface discolouration , which is one of the reasons for using a ceramic forge, plus there's no mess, unlike charcoal. you can also take the whole thing apart when you're done. It's a form of muffle furnace, which is what industry mostly uses. If you're prepared to mess about with charcoal you can do it even cheaper. I've forged 3" x 1/2" steel bar using an old paint can, a bag of lumpwood and a fan heater. I threw the whole "forge" away when I was done.
    Last edited by Big Pete; 25-07-17 at 20:29. Reason: typo

11. The following user liked this post made by Big Pete:

Yeah third of the cost and it might not even explode

I like the idea of throwing it away though.

Meantime, I have designed a far superior solution and detailed it in this very thread. No need to go back, you have already rubbished that too.

Liked 924 in 557 posts

definetly won't explode, but will generate a lot of heat. If you're struggling for cash, you can do it a lot cheaper.

Well I sold a few bits and bobs and this popped up while I was feeling flush.

I'm not flush. I think the bargain hunter in me must have addled my brain. Anyhow, you're right, I can't really afford it (i'll run out of cash by next week) so I have made my apologies and am busy trying to back out of it.

Speaking of "backs", mine is still wrecked a week or so after moving something way too heavy. I might have to stick that on the list next time I visit the GP. I've not had a back injury like this for a while but I went through decades of similar issues due to a misdiagnosed neck problem. I didn't give this "pull" much thought. I think I might have done something a bit silly this time.

Liked 924 in 557 posts

you need to start looking after yourself better mate, it sounds like you've got enough on your plate without doing any more damage. There are loads of forge/furnace designs that can be done on the cheap, and you can build something that is exactly what you need.

Yeah. I should know better. Anyhow, I have cancelled the order, seller was really good about it, I explained my back is buggered etc.

Sadly, I fear that may even be true!

Roof fillet is in and done, just in time for a massive downpour. Not a drip!

Walls next then I guess I better start making a forge...

17. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Go Back to Forum My Forum