TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

  1. #16
    Not Much To Do
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    924
    Like
    126
    Liked 103 in 54 posts

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    The answer is both, it will change depending on terrain and speed. There is no set rule you must stand up doing X but not Y.

  2. #17
    Should Get Out More Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Where I want to be.
    Posts
    33,953
    Like
    1,656
    Liked 2,299 in 1,179 posts

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    Standing up gives you more control on the rough stuff and also lets your legs act as additional shock absorbers which protects your back. If you're on smooth stuff you may as well sit down and rest your legs.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  3. #18
    Should Get Out More Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    39,993
    Like
    6,333
    Liked 6,083 in 3,819 posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Standing up gives you more control on the rough stuff and also lets your legs act as additional shock absorbers which protects your back. If you're on smooth stuff you may as well sit down and rest your legs.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    That's what I reckoned. Matey boy is 63 and stood up all way. Getting fit, he said, for a 200km enduro in a few weeks

  4. #19
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    1985
    Posts
    16,360
    Like
    1,272
    Liked 3,609 in 2,193 posts

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    That's what I reckoned. Matey boy is 63 and stood up all way. Getting fit, he said, for a 200km enduro in a few weeks
    200Km is only 126 miles, I've done a couple of 150 mile enduros (though I was 35 and knackered afterwards)

  5. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:


  6. #20
    Should Get Out More icarus1859's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not at home
    Posts
    31,561
    Like
    2,633
    Liked 6,142 in 3,177 posts

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    You can't balance properly when you're sat down.

    Me and Zebby had a lesson once from an ex-GP motocross bloke, he told that us that every bike is capable of winning a GP, the only thing that stops it is the rider unbalancing the thing.
    He said it was simply about making sure your weight is positioned in the right place to not upset the dynamics of the bike, and you can only do that if you're on your feet.
    He reckoned you should be stood up everywhere except the apex of some slower bends, although for us normal people I think it's ok to take it steady and have a seat occasionally if you're on smooth ground

  7. #21
    Should Get Out More Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Where I want to be.
    Posts
    33,953
    Like
    1,656
    Liked 2,299 in 1,179 posts

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    He reckoned you should be stood up everywhere except the apex of some slower bends, although for us normal people I think it's ok to take it steady and have a seat occasionally if you're on smooth ground
    For motocross, probably yeah. Not for laning or enduro.

  8. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:


  9. #22
    Should Get Out More Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    39,993
    Like
    6,333
    Liked 6,083 in 3,819 posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    For motocross, probably yeah. Not for laning or enduro.
    My dodgy right leg won't let me stand up for too long

  10. #23
    Should Get Out More Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    39,993
    Like
    6,333
    Liked 6,083 in 3,819 posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    Been out again and did 80 Km. Awesome but still sat down. Decided I don't like deep sand. Chucked me off twice. Steve kept telling me the theory but still fell off

    Then fell off on hard track when front wheel followed a water rut and chucked me into a collapsed wall. Hurt but good gear saved me.
    was hitting 60 kph on some flat tracks.


    Back on road bikes tmrw
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. The following user liked this post made by Yorick:


  12. #24
    Should Get Out More Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Where I want to be.
    Posts
    33,953
    Like
    1,656
    Liked 2,299 in 1,179 posts

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    On deep sand or gravel the art is to sit right back and keep it driving. You don't want the front wheel to dig in so the idea is to keep it as light as possible. Like most things dirt based it's easier said than done because the inclination is when things start getting squirrelly is to ease off, and you don't want to do that.

  13. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:


  14. #25
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    1985
    Posts
    16,360
    Like
    1,272
    Liked 3,609 in 2,193 posts

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    What Tomcat said, generally when things get squirrely open the throttle, don't close it.

  15. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:


  16. #26
    Should Get Out More Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    39,993
    Like
    6,333
    Liked 6,083 in 3,819 posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    On deep sand or gravel the art is to sit right back and keep it driving. You don't want the front wheel to dig in so the idea is to keep it as light as possible. Like most things dirt based it's easier said than done because the inclination is when things start getting squirrelly is to ease off, and you don't want to do that.
    I was trying to do that. The wheel wasn't so much digging in as shoving bars to full lock

    The paths were about 5' wide with rocks both sides. Did OK when we found some sand dunes to play.

  17. #27
    Not Much To Do
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    924
    Like
    126
    Liked 103 in 54 posts

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    Another thing to remember is regardless of skill level you will always crash a lot on a dirtbike. Its not the same as a road bike where you never expect a crash. If you haven't crashed the dirtbike every rideout your riding like a pussy. Doesn't have to be a biggun but the bike should be on the floor at least once!

  18. The following user liked this post made by NigelBates:


  19. #28
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    1985
    Posts
    16,360
    Like
    1,272
    Liked 3,609 in 2,193 posts

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    Just as your skill improves, your crashes get faster and hurt more

  20. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Julian_Boolean:


  21. #29
    Should Get Out More Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    39,993
    Like
    6,333
    Liked 6,083 in 3,819 posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by NigelBates View Post
    Another thing to remember is regardless of skill level you will always crash a lot on a dirtbike. Its not the same as a road bike where you never expect a crash. If you haven't crashed the dirtbike every rideout your riding like a pussy. Doesn't have to be a biggun but the bike should be on the floor at least once!
    I managed it 3 times. That make me good?

  22. #30
    Should Get Out More 1888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    JockLand
    Posts
    26,833
    Like
    867
    Liked 2,817 in 2,016 posts

    Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

    Quote Originally Posted by malkoca View Post
    was looking for this information, I am pleased to join your community!
    Nice kitchen 750i (phone)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission