TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default Re: Stood Up Or Sat Down?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Thanks guys, really useful thread! I like your fourm!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More
    Liked 499 in 276 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KarlaB View Post
    Thanks guys, really useful thread! I like your fourm!
    What ya selling?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Crazy. Are you sure 30 miles?

Should Get Out Soon Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 4,972 in 2,322 posts

Six months and not a single toilet joke!

What is this forum coming to?

Liked 1,339 in 731 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    I was trying to do that. The wheel wasn't so much digging in as shoving bars to full lock

The paths were about 5' wide with rocks both sides. Did OK when we found some sand dunes to play.
    Think water-skiing. If your front wheel is light enough it'll skim over the ruts or sand. The back may fishtail a bit, but that's easily controllable. If your front wheel is heavy then it will track every irregularity.

Liked 1,339 in 731 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Six months and not a single toilet joke!

What is this forum coming to?
    Yeah it's shit innit

Liked 3,728 in 2,332 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Think water-skiing. If your front wheel is light enough it'll skim over the ruts or sand. The back may fishtail a bit, but that's easily controllable. If your front wheel is heavy then it will track every irregularity.
    I've learned the theory and tried to apply it. On the Honda CR230, in sand it feels like a chopper with long forks and the wheel 'falls over' for fun. On the KTM, it was much better and could ride through the sand much easier.

But stuck on my mate's CR for a while till we get the house sorted and a garage built.

Still having bags of fun though

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 1,947 in 1,160 posts

I suspect a CRF230 is similar to the XR250 I had, the only way to make it nice in sand was to pin the throttle wide open and rest my bum on the rear mudguard, it was too short and the steering head too steep to be good in sand or ruts, DRZ on the other hand used to plough through sand like it could do it all day.

10. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 1,339 in 731 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    I suspect a CRF230 is similar to the XR250 I had, the only way to make it nice in sand was to pin the throttle wide open and rest my bum on the rear mudguard, it was too short and the steering head too steep to be good in sand or ruts, DRZ on the other hand used to plough through sand like it could do it all day.
    Yeah I've done a few enduros on an XL250S and they were hard work. Aside from it having no ground clearance which meant in every rut the pegs were grounding out and forcing the gear level up, it was heavy and gutless so there was no way you could get the front light. I fell off so many times from cross rutting that I worked out the only way to do it was feet up and trickle through. Which went down really well in an enduro

A Bit Bored
    Liked 13 in 9 posts

There is no set rule you must stand up doing X but not Y.

Liked 27 in 20 posts

The faster you go, the less it feels like sand at all. Deep ripples grab the wheel at lower speeds and make the bike unstable and go off in different directions. Worth noting you can really throw the bike down hard and gas it in the deep stuff. It takes a lot more power to get the bike turning on the throttle as they sink in and make their own berms, feels very counter-intuitive at first. Also you need to be revving the nuts off 250 four strokes, sand positively saps power.

I stand up all the time if I'm trying to go fast, aside from some corners where you want to sit down over the front for more grip. Hit anything big when you're sat down at speed and you get pitched off the bike. Oh and as everyone else said, if in doubt, gas it out...

I hit 90 odd in a deep sand wash on my XR a few weeks back....felt amazing! Off road riding is the nuts.

Liked 2,986 in 2,029 posts
    Blog Entries

You know what they say:

What do men do standing up, women do sitting down and dogs do on three legs?

Shake hands.

Liked 3,728 in 2,332 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jung View Post
    The faster you go, the less it feels like sand at all. Deep ripples grab the wheel at lower speeds and make the bike unstable and go off in different directions. Worth noting you can really throw the bike down hard and gas it in the deep stuff. It takes a lot more power to get the bike turning on the throttle as they sink in and make their own berms, feels very counter-intuitive at first. Also you need to be revving the nuts off 250 four strokes, sand positively saps power.

I stand up all the time if I'm trying to go fast, aside from some corners where you want to sit down over the front for more grip. Hit anything big when you're sat down at speed and you get pitched off the bike. Oh and as everyone else said, if in doubt, gas it out...

I hit 90 odd in a deep sand wash on my XR a few weeks back....felt amazing! Off road riding is the nuts.
    Thanks for that. Some of the narrow sandy paths are too tight to get any speed up and if you fall, you hit nasty rocks each side. But I am getting better at faster sandy paths.

And I quickly stand up when I see anything a bit 'iffy'.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Go Back to Forum My Forum