TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Wanted - suzuki gsxr 1000 2003 k3 - oil sump pan

Liked 169 in 118 posts

Default Wanted - suzuki gsxr 1000 2003 k3 - oil sump pan

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I am in need of a replacement oil sump pan for my colleagues GSXR 1000 K3, where the previous owner has damaged the thread.

If anyone has an oil sump pan for this bike or can advise where to get one it would be greatly appreciated.

Liked 7,243 in 4,085 posts

Default Re: Wanted - suzuki gsxr 1000 2003 k3 - oil sump pan

When someone (me) over tightened the sump plug on my R6, I just used one of the part finder stylee services, got one for 30 (this was almoat 15 years ago tho').

Don't forget you're going to have to remove the down pipes so you'll need exhaust gaskets too.

3. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

DSK

Liked 169 in 118 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    When someone (me) over tightened the sump plug on my R6, I just used one of the part finder stylee services, got one for 30 (this was almoat 15 years ago tho').

Don't forget you're going to have to remove the down pipes so you'll need exhaust gaskets too.
    Hi KFB. Yep once we can source a sump pan the new gaskets will be bought from suzuki for the headers and pan.

This may explain why his bike hasn't had an oil change in 4 or so years despite doing little miles. I took the bung off and it came undone far too easy. Upon closer inspection whoever has been there before put a fine metal wire type rings on one of the threads. Upon trying to refit the plug it just allow tightening. Rather than helicoil which I've never done, its better to try a replacement sump if available.

Liked 548 in 299 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DSK View Post
    Hi KFB. Yep once we can source a sump pan the new gaskets will be bought from suzuki for the headers and pan.

This may explain why his bike hasn't had an oil change in 4 or so years despite doing little miles. I took the bung off and it came undone far too easy. Upon closer inspection whoever has been there before put a fine metal wire type rings on one of the threads. Upon trying to refit the plug it just allow tightening. Rather than helicoil which I've never done, its better to try a replacement sump if available.
    Helicoil is a piece of piss to do, but you will need to take the sump off to do it. A stainless steel insert will be threadlocked in place, it will never come out and it's much less likely to strip or cross thread again. Any engineering place will do it while you wait and charge you less than the price of a replacement sump.

6. The following user liked this post made by Druid:

DSK

Liked 169 in 118 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    Helicoil is a piece of piss to do, but you will need to take the sump off to do it. A stainless steel insert will be threadlocked in place, it will never come out and it's much less likely to strip or cross thread again. Any engineering place will do it while you wait and charge you less than the price of a replacement sump.
    I was thinking, the sump will need to come off anyway for a helicoil, so perhaps easier to bolt another straight in. Either way, I'll whip of his sump and leave him to either get it helicoiled or another sump. I just don't want to screw up a helicoil as I;ve never done it but, will explore the the engineering firm option as advised - many thanks!

Liked 169 in 118 posts

My colleague has ordered the helicoil kit so we will go with this now

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission