TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MX Helmets?

Liked 6,209 in 3,900 posts
    Blog Entries

Default MX Helmets?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I know all about road lids, but not off road. Been today and seen a very wide range of prices

Do we need to pay silly money ? Or will cheap and cheerful ones be enough while we potter about ?

Also goggles. Same idea ?

Also saw a lid with inside drop down tinted screen/visor thingy. Looked cool but there's lots of dusty trails here and can't see it working properly.

All advice welcome

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,705 in 2,265 posts

Default Re: MX Helmets?

For off road riding goggles are better than visors, you don't need an expensive lid, an HJC one saved my head in a big off road crash (over 70 mph)

3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Julian_Boolean:

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Yorick; 16-09-16 at 15:32.

Looks alright, is it comfortable to wear and got an EU safety standard, if the answers are yes then buy it, you're not going to be going much more than 70mph, just remember you'll be riding on tarmac to get to the trails.

6. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Blog Entries

And is it same with boots ?

Axo Drone €160

Sidis €190

Seems worth paying the extra?

It'd be much easier in UK, but only 2 bikes shops on the whole island

I'd take the Axos over the Sidis, again so long as they fit and feel protective you'll be okay, get an enduro or trial sole rather than an MX one, for trail riding I prefered trials boots to MX ones, they're not as protective but they gave you more lower leg movement which makes riding a little easier - I've had the same pair of Diadora trials boots since about 2004.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    I'd take the Axos over the Sidis,.
    Aha, any reason why ?
    get an enduro or trial sole rather than an MX one, .
    Any reason ?

Lots of the riding here is almost trials riding. Up dried river beds etc and them bloody big volcanoes

Liked 2,337 in 1,198 posts

I've got a 30 Nitro helmet that I bought 'worn once' off ebay. I've tested it many times and it's still fine, albeit with a few chips out of the gel coat. That said my son had a big off when an idiot marshal walked across the track right after a jump at Wildtracks and landed on his head, after which the helmet developed a soft spot where it had obviously been crushed/delaminated.

I'd say for helmets, get one that's ACU gold marked (if you buy locally check UK suppliers to make sure they're gold marked) but first and foremost get one that fits well. It's a comfort as well as a safety thing. Don't just go for a big brand or top price tag, the cheaper end can be fine too. And yeah, wear goggles, you don't want dust getting under a visor, no matter how cool it looks.

Boots, I swear by A*. They do a range from basic trail plodding up to pro MX. I use Tech 3's. They are theoretically MX boots but fine for trail riding - not as stiff as the top range ones but more comfy and flex a bit for gearchanging and walking. You need some ankle support as you can twist them on a dry river bed as easy as a rocky trail, trials boots are IMHO a bit too soft, and the soft soles will get torn up by the serrated footpegs in no time.

11. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:

Personally I think Axo gear is good.
    Trials sole gives better grip than an mx one, handy if you need to dab a foot down, an mx sole is intended to skim the ground in corners.

Blog Entries

Great help so far. Learned a lot.

x

Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Liked 2,263 in 1,321 posts
    Blog Entries

I had a cheap HJC and a top end Shoei. The Shoei was a bit nicer to wear and better built. I imagine it would give more protection as well but I have no evidence of that. I'd spend the same on an off road lid as I would a road one. I reckon you're more likely to fall off off road so more likely to need the lid. I guess it would be at slower speed but then again possibly on more aggressive terrain. Swings and roundabouts.... Who knows .... But if you're not watching the pennies, why buy a cheap one?

edit - I think the Shoei had a removable, washable lining which was a good thing considering the sweat and mud.
    Last edited by MyLittleStudPony; 16-09-16 at 22:20.

15. The following user liked this post made by MyLittleStudPony:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 32 in 18 posts

I always try and get a well vented,lightweight one,makes it so much nicer to wear especially in lanzarotte heat I would imagine.
    My current lid is a Klim f4 and it's great,will buy the same again next time.Bell helmets seem very good quality and always seem to be on offer.
    A few of us swear by forma boots,good quality at a reasonable price,currently wear forma dominators,last ages and have the hinged heel which makes a big difference.Again would buy again.

17. The following user liked this post made by Doy:

Liked 6,143 in 3,177 posts

Ha, imagine if this had been posted in General about road bike gear, you'd have been ripped for wanting to buy cheap gear.
    It's simple, if you want safety and comfort then buy the best you can afford.

My favourite helmets are Airoh just because they fit me well, I also have a Fox V4 carbon helmet that was about 400, but I also like One Industries and they're a bit cheaper.
    The best motorcross boots are Gaerne SG12's, that's a fact, don't let anyone tell you different, they're about 450, but will last ages, I raced two seasons in mine and now 5yrs later I still wear them for desert riding, best boots I've ever owned. I once bought 661 boots for about 150 as spare boots and they were unbelievably gash compared to the Gaernes, I gave them away.

Get Oakley goggles with a nose guard.
    And then whatever fits well for everything else.

19. The following user liked this post made by icarus1859:

Liked 362 in 137 posts

if you want something in between, then I rate my Acerbis adv helmet, has visor, sun visor, use it on road bikes and off road, I take the visor off to use with goggles.. best of both worlds, bit of a compromise..

21. The following user liked this post made by fernando:

Blog Entries

Personally I think Axo gear is good.
    Trials sole gives better grip than an mx one, handy if you need to dab a foot down, an mx sole is intended to skim the ground in corners.
    Tried the Axo boots on, size 45, and seemed good quality with easy adjustable straps.
    Right boot felt great, but left a bit tight.

As they are so tough, are they likely to 'give' a bit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission