TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Amazon Echo thread.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,529 in 2,617 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Amazon Echo thread.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    Loving the Dot.
    I might get round to listening to even half of my Audible collection rather than about a tenth of it at this rate.
    Not sure what to change 'Alexa' to.
    I was thinking 'Hal' or 'Computer' (Star Trek style) but these are a rather too predictable.
    Maybe 'Winston' in recognition of the Big Brother aspect of my voice requests being sent to the cloud.
    Maybe an interrupting cough?
    What have others done with theirs...being original is obviously beyond me!

Factotum?

Passepartout?

Eddie has to be on the shortlist.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,166 in 3,240 posts

Loving the Dot.
    I might get round to listening to even half of my Audible collection rather than about a tenth of it at this rate.
    Not sure what to change 'Alexa' to.
    I was thinking 'Hal' or 'Computer' (Star Trek style) but these are a rather too predictable.
    Maybe 'Winston' in recognition of the Big Brother aspect of my voice requests being sent to the cloud.
    Maybe an interrupting cough?
    What have others done with theirs...being original is obviously beyond me!
    Well with a choice of 3 wake words it shouldn't take you long to decide on which one to use;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=201971890

3. The following 3 users liked this useful post by mrlongbeard:

Liked 2,212 in 1,486 posts

I am sure they will add the ability to make your own wake word at some stage. I want mine to be "Darling".

Darling, turn up the volume.

Darling, turn down the lights.

etc.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 5,166 in 3,240 posts

Quote Originally Posted by LondonDRZ View Post
    I am sure they will add the ability to make your own wake word at some stage.

etc.
    Apparently there was a bug in some very early models stateside which allowed you to use any word you liked, but Amazon canned it with a firmware update.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,524 in 941 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Well with a choice of 3 wake words it shouldn't take you long to decide on which one to use;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=201971890
    Well, that's rather disappointing.
    Another annoyance is it doesn't want to allow me to change my address (from my VERY old Amazon account address) as I have neither street name nor number.

Well, that's rather disappointing.
    Another annoyance is it doesn't want to allow me to change my address (from my VERY old Amazon account address) as I have neither street name nor number.
    Stick with trying. It didnt want to know mine the first few times I tried.

Liked 5,903 in 3,449 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LondonDRZ View Post
    I am sure they will add the ability to make your own wake word at some stage. I want mine to be "Darling".

Darling, turn up the volume.

Darling, turn down the lights.

etc.
    <sad smack mode>My betting for the near future - they won't, they'll give you a longer list. The problem is with similar sounding words. You want a wake word that doesn't sound like anything else and is accent neutral so the unit starts listening. So alexa is ah-lek-sa, hard/soft/hard with very very few words that are similar. Plus it can be said almost exactly the same naturally in many accents/languages. Of course once the unit is awake it can use pattern matching to work out what the sentence you just said is.

They could make it that you can record your own wake word but you'd be surprised how much your voice changes, even simple things like temperature and how long you've been awake can make a difference before you even consider mood, health etc.

It'll happen since this kind of thing is putting money into the research where it has been lacking for years.

Quote Originally Posted by go_slow View Post
    <sad smack mode>My betting for the near future - they won't, they'll give you a longer list. The problem is with similar sounding words. You want a wake word that doesn't sound like anything else and is accent neutral so the unit starts listening. So alexa is ah-lek-sa, hard/soft/hard with very very few words that are similar. Plus it can be said almost exactly the same naturally in many accents/languages. Of course once the unit is awake it can use pattern matching to work out what the sentence you just said is.

They could make it that you can record your own wake word but you'd be surprised how much your voice changes, even simple things like temperature and how long you've been awake can make a difference before you even consider mood, health etc.

It'll happen since this kind of thing is putting money into the research where it has been lacking for years.
    My daughter is Alexia. If I call her, nothing from the Echo. If other daughter calls her, nothing from the Echo, as soon as Mrsldrz called her Alexa sparks up. Mrsldrz yelling at a black cylinder to shut up is very amusing.

10. The following 4 users liked this useful post by LondonDRZ:

Amazon just released Amazon Music Unlimited. Apparently more music than Spotify and only 3.99 per month on one Echo. Signed up!

Liked 1,516 in 1,061 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Eddie has to be on the shortlist.
    Quote Originally Posted by go_slow View Post
    The problem is with similar sounding words. You want a wake word that doesn't sound like anything else and is accent neutral so the unit starts listening. So alexa is ah-lek-sa, hard/soft/hard

you bar-stard
    soft/ hardish/ very hard

Liked 4,348 in 2,251 posts
    Blog Entries

So we have had the Philips Hue bulbs integrated with an Amazon dot in our bedroom for a couple of weeks now. It all works very well and will turn off and on and dim the lights to any percentage. Particularly useful is not having to get out of bed to switch lights on or off. I have put one of the LED strips on the back of Mrs R's dressing table so it lights the wall with her mirror on. The only additional functionality I'd like to see is the ability to colour change the bulbs via voice (at present this can only be done via the Philips app and I think it will stay that way.)
    I can't see us putting the Philips bulbs anywhere else in the house though. This is because for them to work you have to leave your switches on all the time and only turn the lights on and off by voice. If you turn the switch off at any time there is no power to the wifi bulbs and they don't work. In a busy(ish) house with visitors, anyone who doesn't know about the system naturally reaches for a light switch and that screws the system up until you work out what is going wrong.
    Last edited by Reburner; 23-11-16 at 08:37.

Liked 1,823 in 1,074 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reburner View Post
    So we have had the Philips Hue bulbs integrated with an Amazon dot in our bedroom for a couple of weeks now. It all works very well and will turn off and on and dim the lights to any percentage. Particularly useful is not having to get out of bed to switch lights on or off. I have put one of the LED strips on the back of Mrs R's dressing table so it lights the wall with her mirror on. The only additional functionality I'd like to see is the ability to colour change the bulbs via voice (at present this can only be done via the Philips app and I think it will stay that way.)
    I can't see us putting the Philips bulbs anywhere else in the house though. This is because for them to work you have to leave your switches on all the time and only turn the lights on and off by voice. If you turn the switch off at any time there is no power to the wifi bulbs and they don't work. In a busy(ish) house with visitors, anyone who doesn't know about the system naturally reaches for a light switch and that screws the system up until you work out what is going wrong.
    Replace the switch plates with blank plates and wire the lights on permanently

Liked 1,823 in 1,074 posts
    Blog Entries

Amazon Echo are currently 30 off in the Black Friday sale.

I'm getting an itchy trigger figure on the buy now button but still not 100% convinced I need/want one...

Liked 4,348 in 2,251 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Car View Post
    Amazon Echo are currently 30 off in the Black Friday sale.

I'm getting an itchy trigger figure on the buy now button but still not 100% convinced I need/want one...
    Do it. Apart from the obvious clock/radio/timer functionality they are incredibly useful. The sound quality on the Echo is also way better than I thought it would be.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,524 in 941 posts

Just bought another 2 Dots @ 40 each.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission