TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Realising the Motorcycling Opportunity

  1. #1
    Not Much To Do iansoady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    919
    Like
    60
    Liked 131 in 78 posts

    Default Realising the Motorcycling Opportunity

    Apologies if my poor obs has missed it, but I don't remember seeing anything here about this: http://www.motorcycleframework.co.uk/the-framework/

    It makes some positive statements about the benefits of motorcycling although I confess I haven't read it deeply as yet.


  2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. #2
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Your friendly local advanced trainer :)
    Posts
    7,758
    Like
    459
    Liked 548 in 329 posts

    Default Re: Realising the Motorcycling Opportunity

    https://www.facebook.com/SurvivalSki...01200166579232

    You can read without being a Facebook member.

  4. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

    Val

  5. #3
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    16,350
    Like
    1,224
    Liked 1,731 in 1,157 posts

    Default Re: Realising the Motorcycling Opportunity

    Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/SurvivalSki...01200166579232

    You can read without being a Facebook member.
    Think I agree with most of that.

    - Current training is not fit for purpose, and hasn't developed in any meaningful way since the first RAC/ACU courses decades ago
    - Current training does not directly address the three riding gotchas
    - Current learner training syllabus, as you say and as some of have been trying to change for decades, does not teach riders one of the four key control skills
    - If post-test training is essential now, then it is essential for the future that the 'missing' elements are identified and put into L training. Not sure if I can think of anything that is standard in post-test which isn't in L training . . .

    All IMHO of course

  6. #4
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Your friendly local advanced trainer :)
    Posts
    7,758
    Like
    459
    Liked 548 in 329 posts

    Default Re: Realising the Motorcycling Opportunity

    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Think I agree with most of that.

    - Current training is not fit for purpose, and hasn't developed in any meaningful way since the first RAC/ACU courses decades ago
    - Current training does not directly address the three riding gotchas
    - Current learner training syllabus, as you say and as some of have been trying to change for decades, does not teach riders one of the four key control skills
    - If post-test training is essential now, then it is essential for the future that the 'missing' elements are identified and put into L training. Not sure if I can think of anything that is standard in post-test which isn't in L training . . .

    All IMHO of course
    It's probably earlier than the RAC/ACU course as that seems to have been designed around basic police training, and that in turn looks remarkably similar to WW2 despatch rider training.

  7. #5
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    16,350
    Like
    1,224
    Liked 1,731 in 1,157 posts

    Default Re: Realising the Motorcycling Opportunity

    Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    It's probably earlier than the RAC/ACU course as that seems to have been designed around basic police training, and that in turn looks remarkably similar to WW2 despatch rider training.
    Could be. I was thinking 'civilian' training only. Leicester Phoenix bike club have a scanned letter on their web site:

    RAC/ACU TRAINING ORGANISERS AND EXAMINERS, LOCAL AUTHORITIES AND CHIEF POLICE OFFICERS 19th March 1982

    re: TERMINATION OF RAC/ACU NATIONAL TRAINING SCHEME

    It is with extreme regret that I must notify you of a decision which has been made very reluctantly to terminate the operations of the RAC/ACU National Training Scheme.

    Having pioneered the national development of motor cycle training as long ago as 1947 through the magnificent efforts of so many enthusiastic unpaid volunteers it is disappointing that such an excellent road safety activity cannot be continued on this basis.


    So immediately post-war.

    Hendon's Motorcycle Wing was formed in 1938. I don't know anything about any 'L' level training they might have carried out in the early Hendon days, whether bikes or cars.

  8. #6
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Your friendly local advanced trainer :)
    Posts
    7,758
    Like
    459
    Liked 548 in 329 posts

    Default Re: Realising the Motorcycling Opportunity

    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Could be. I was thinking 'civilian' training only. Leicester Phoenix bike club have a scanned letter on their web site:

    RAC/ACU TRAINING ORGANISERS AND EXAMINERS, LOCAL AUTHORITIES AND CHIEF POLICE OFFICERS 19th March 1982

    re: TERMINATION OF RAC/ACU NATIONAL TRAINING SCHEME

    It is with extreme regret that I must notify you of a decision which has been made very reluctantly to terminate the operations of the RAC/ACU National Training Scheme.

    Having pioneered the national development of motor cycle training as long ago as 1947 through the magnificent efforts of so many enthusiastic unpaid volunteers it is disappointing that such an excellent road safety activity cannot be continued on this basis.


    So immediately post-war.

    Hendon's Motorcycle Wing was formed in 1938. I don't know anything about any 'L' level training they might have carried out in the early Hendon days, whether bikes or cars.
    Somewhere I have a link to a document from the early 1950s about the content of the RAC/ACU course, and I also found a video from the early 60s of trainees on a police course learning to ride around old oil drums in the police station car park, which looked remarkably like CBT. Then they went out on the road, on noddy bikes IIRC, just like CBT.

  9. #7
    Not Much To Do iansoady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    919
    Like
    60
    Liked 131 in 78 posts

    Default Re: Realising the Motorcycling Opportunity

    Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/SurvivalSki...01200166579232

    You can read without being a Facebook member.
    Except it pops up a banner requiring me to sign in / up behind which I can't read your text.......

  10. #8
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    16,350
    Like
    1,224
    Liked 1,731 in 1,157 posts

    Default Re: Realising the Motorcycling Opportunity

    Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    Except it pops up a banner ...
    With an 'X' on it, which reduces the banner Or view on a mobile device - clicking the X removes the banner.

  11. #9
    Not Much To Do iansoady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    919
    Like
    60
    Liked 131 in 78 posts

    Default Re: Realising the Motorcycling Opportunity

    My poor obs seems to stop me seeing the x as well. I'll try again.....

    I must admit I did persevere with FB for a while but the constant ads, suggestions as to what I might "like" or what my "friends" were up to combined with excessive bandwidth consumption made me bin it.

  12. #10
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Your friendly local advanced trainer :)
    Posts
    7,758
    Like
    459
    Liked 548 in 329 posts

    Default Re: Realising the Motorcycling Opportunity

    Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    My poor obs seems to stop me seeing the x as well. I'll try again.....

    I must admit I did persevere with FB for a while but the constant ads, suggestions as to what I might "like" or what my "friends" were up to combined with excessive bandwidth consumption made me bin it.
    Horse got there first... you just dismiss the banner.

    The answer to the ads is the Adblock extension, with a subscription to the 'Facebook annoyances' feed which specifically targets and eliminates a significant proportion of the ads that FB delivers. Then you just have to understand how to use the various tools which allow you to fine-tune who's posts you see on your feed. That gets rid of virtually all the cr@p. Oh, and decide carefully who you 'friend', of course

    Anyway, to summarise, what worries me is that the guiding hand behind the framework is the motorcycle industry itself. It presents a cuddly wuddly beary boo image but ultimately the goal is to sell more bikes. To do that, the MCIA want to take control of bike training with a view to getting more people licenced to whom the industry can then sell more bikes. And when the accident rate doesn't come down but goes up, what happens next? You can bet you boots it'll be the fault of the people delivering the training, not the training itself which doesn't address the issues which cause people to crash.

    That's exactly what happened in the US quite some time ago via the MSF. There are now moves to strip control of training away from the industry.

Go Back to Forum My Forum