TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: [Short] Video: Latest hi-viz research draws interesting conclusions

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,459 in 1,021 posts

Default Re: [Short] Video: Latest hi-viz research draws interesting conclusions

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    As for what advice to give, most people should probably be advised to wear hi-viz unless there are signs they are candidates for a big dose of induced complacency which goes with learners who say 'Riding a bike is a doddle for me', or the 'I AM safe because I AM advanced' types.
    As far as I can tell the jury is still out on hi-viz. It can be a help in some circimstances, it can add to the danger in others. Perhaps the best advice would be to point out the risks (the advantages are blindingly obvious) and let people make up their own mind.

FWIW I occasionaly wear hi-viz, most often when I need another layer to keep warm or dry. I regularly wear it at night, but that is nothing to do with hi-viz and all to do with the bigger and better retro-reflective stuff on most hi-viz jackets.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 1,654 in 1,107 posts

I sometimes *have* to wear hi-viz, and it works - no doubt about it. Keeps me warm and dry

4. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 540 in 324 posts

Rather serious, I fear.

I miss things under my nose.
    If it's got that close, it's highly unlikely you'd see something even clad in hi-vis... it's movement that draws attention.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 277 in 175 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    If it's got that close, it's highly unlikely you'd see something even clad in hi-vis... it's movement that draws attention.
    Yes. I am sometimes tempted to wave my arm around when making a hand signal, for that reason. Which I am sure looks retarded.

Liked 2,494 in 1,685 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Back off topic . . .

People astound me sometimes

I was at the shop one afternoon, admiring a Silk. The owner, who didn't know me, said "Take it for a ride!"
    Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    If only.... It was at the National Motorcycle Museum, where they foolishly allow anyone who's stumped up the annual 25 or so supporters' fee and another tenner on the day to ride round the car park on all sorts ranging from a belt drive clutchless single speeder to an F1 Norton rotary, via the Brough, Vincent, assorted Triumphs, BSAs etc.

A grand day out.....

It is of course an investment - better than a bank account!

Back on topic:

I've found the Nitro open face to be very comfortable and quiet - maybe it just fits my head better than others. It's also cheap - I think that one was 40 or so. The little peak is quite useful as a sun visor.

I used Davidas and Mk 8s for years till I saw the light. One very rainy run down to Portsmouth to catch the ferry saw the elastic on the goggles stretching till they just slid off, followed by my glasses both misting and covered with raindrops. Very scary especially as it was also getting dark.
    Does it strike you, when you ride some 100,000 Brough or 20,000 Gold Star, that "this is just a ride on a motorbike?"

Not Much To Do
    Liked 277 in 175 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post
    Does it strike you, when you ride some 100,000 Brough or 20,000 Gold Star, that "this is just a ride on a motorbike?"
    I kind of get that question, which is partly why I bought a 2014 CB500X when I could have pushed the boat out and afforded something with a bit more character. There again, the sound and the feel and kind of aesthetic appreciation of the way a machine is put together are a big bonus. I cannot remember what kind of bikes you like to ride / buy, and whether you would spend for something over and above "this is just a ride on a motorbike?"?

Yes.

OK I'll qualify that: 2 weeks after I bought (from new) my first BMW ('Ultimate Riding Machine TM), I was riding along and the thought popped in my head "It's only a motorcycle".

I mentioned having a brief ride on a Silk. Basically just a big MZ TS250 - but don't tell anyone I said so

Liked 129 in 76 posts

Yes and no....

There is no way I'd buy something like a Brough Sup or Vincent even if I could afford it. However, the experience was so different to even my Sunbeam that it was well worth it.

TBH the modern bikes I've had are far better for riding than the "classics" but the older bikes are so involving (read difficult, awkward, brakeless etc.....)

Liked 129 in 76 posts

I mentioned having a brief ride on a Silk. Basically just a big MZ TS250 - but don't tell anyone I said so
    Actually, the Ariel Arrows that I'm more realistically looking at are perhaps nearer to a baby Silk.

Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    TBH the modern bikes I've had are far better for riding than the "classics" but the older bikes are so involving (read difficult, awkward, brakeless etc.....)
    Somewhere recently the idea of 'stealth' biking was mentioned. I like the idea, taken from manufacturing, of 'lean' biking, do the least to achieve the objective (ie A - B, I rarely did A - A pleasure riding ).

To go with that, mix a dose of laziness and desire for comfort and, often, the necessity to carry a load of junk essentials with me.

So, that results in a shopping list of:
    Highish bars, sit-up position
    Fairing
    Luggage
    Shaft drive
    'Lazy' torque

There aren't many bikes that fitted the bill, so add in 'training at a BMW dealership' and a succession of RTs makes sense

Not Much To Do
    Liked 277 in 175 posts

Somewhere recently the idea of 'stealth' biking was mentioned. I like the idea, taken from manufacturing, of 'lean' biking, do the least to achieve the objective (ie A - B, I rarely did A - A pleasure riding ).

To go with that, mix a dose of laziness and desire for comfort and, often, the necessity to carry a load of junk essentials with me.

Fairing
    Luggage
    Shaft drive
    'Lazy' torque

There aren't many bikes that fitted the bill, so add in 'training at a BMW dealership' and a succession of RTs makes sense
    To the rider of small singles and twins, the idea of 'lean' biking appeals, even if the link bewteen 'lean' and big Bavarians is sub-obvious

Should Get Out More
    Liked 540 in 324 posts

Fairing
    Luggage
    Shaft drive
    'Lazy' torque

XJ900 when they made it...
    Dullville...
    Guzzi...

However, ditch the shaft requirement and a modern x-ring chain plus oiler is hardly the high-maintenance thing it was 20+ years ago. I go months without touching mine. I just wish they fitted a better chain guard which stopped the oil flinging over the rear of the machine. That's what I really miss about the old CX500.

Guzzi...
    The most considerate bike I ever owned. Used to give me plenty of time to stand at the roadside and stare at it . . .

CX500
    Actually, yes. 'Knock knock' jokes aside, it could have been a worthy contender (albeit the Silver Wing wasn't).

'Full (& effective) fairing' requirement is one of the major limitations, Deaville and BMW 800GT just aren't. I don't think the 900 Diversion would have been either.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 277 in 175 posts

Good book extract in yesterday's Guardian covering research backing the anti-cycle helmet case and related matters in some detail, partly on grounds of bad driver behaviour towards helmet wearers: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...warfare-wheels

One reported study suggests some drivers do enjoy placing cyclists with 'POLITE' vests at physical risk, but are less agressive if you change the 'T' to a 'C'. Much as Spin may agree that Polite wearers should be shot, in my book drivers who use their car as a tool to express their agression against the vulnerable cannot be replaced soon enough by computers. And if computers don't provide a solution, locking up the bastards for long periods in makeshift camps would have a nice anti-congestion benefit.
    Last edited by John B; 22-03-17 at 15:54.

17. The following 2 users liked this useful post by John B:

Liked 1,338 in 695 posts

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Guardian
    interesting and timely article, since it was at 6pm yesterday that I made the fairly easy decision not to get back on my road bike this year. Some of the experiences I had last year, plus what I've seen happen to other cyclists around this area recently, have made me decide it's not for me.

Not just because of the safety aspect, but the attitude from other people. I have a long history of daft road rage incidents (where I always felt as if I was the victim), which have tailed off in recent years due to a change in my attitude. However I've still managed to pick up the odd idiot here and there, and being on a motorcycle or in a car has given me the option of getting away rather than getting involved (or, at the very least, locking all the doors and hiding under the back seat).

I might carry on my weekly ride around Castle Combe race circuit when it opens again in the summer, but I think my road cycling experiences will be limited to a quick blat up the shops and back.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum