TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: [Short] Video: Latest hi-viz research draws interesting conclusions

Not Much To Do
    Liked 280 in 178 posts

Default Re: [Short] Video: Latest hi-viz research draws interesting conclusions

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Ax View Post
    interesting and timely article, since it was at 6pm yesterday that I made the fairly easy decision not to get back on my road bike this year.
    I guess you have to go on gut feel. I woke up early this morning and instantly reversed a decision to do the 20 miles into London by motorcycle (and got gently criticised for that by a friend who has been bitten by the motorcycling bug big time, and still having some bad luck passing Mod 2). It was not even an ominous feeling, it just felt wrong. Chilly, wet, the only route which competes with the train for journey time is on the motorway. Why go through that? So I took the pedal bike from a station near the end of the tube line.

Personally I have more 'social' issues when I am 'trapped' in a small car. There are so many options on two wheels that I feel more relaxed about other road users most of the time. On my slow, light single-speed pedal bike you can nip onto a pavement and hop off when the going gets rough, so I view it more like assisted walking! No driver has that privilege. No helmet, no hi-viz (though I do wear gloves in case of grazed hands). I will do a major roundabout once in a while just for kicks... And on the motorcycle I rarely feel bad behaviour from others personally the way I can in a car. However, even for my slow cycling, the risks are still there, and if it does not feel good to you it is better not done at all.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 1,357 in 706 posts

Default Re: [Short] Video: Latest hi-viz research draws interesting conclusions

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    On my slow, light single-speed pedal bike you can nip onto a pavement and hop off when the going gets rough
    Maybe it's all about terrain. Out here in the rural west the 5 mile journey to work is mostly suburban streets (flowing 30mph traffic, lots of crossing bollards, no space to safely pass a bicycle) and twisty country A roads populated by artic lorries and tractors. Where people can't pass safely, they tend to pass unsafely.

I think if I worked in the same town then I'd have less issues. There's lots of cycle/pedestrian shared space which would suit a slower rider like me. It's getting out among the faster roads that bothers me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Go Back to Forum My Forum