TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Upper body during corners?

  1. #1
    A Bit Bored
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    102
    Like
    9
    Liked 9 in 6 posts

    Question Upper body during corners?

    When I am doing corners and also looking at pictures of people doing corners, I notice the upper body seems to bend the other way after the hips. Is this normal or to be avoided? Have I got this muddled up with counter balancing is is it one in the same?


  2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. #2
    Should Get Out More 1888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    JockLand
    Posts
    24,909
    Like
    681
    Liked 2,167 in 1,566 posts

    Default Re: Upper body during corners?

    Some tilt head, some tilt body others stay rigid. Some just over think things rather than just get out and enjoy the ride.

  4. #3
    Taking it easy Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    30,754
    Like
    2,543
    Liked 2,960 in 1,829 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Upper body during corners?

    Keep low and lean body into corner.

  5. #4
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Your friendly local advanced trainer :)
    Posts
    7,587
    Like
    432
    Liked 511 in 302 posts

    Default Re: Upper body during corners?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    Some tilt head, some tilt body others stay rigid. Some just over think things rather than just get out and enjoy the ride.
    And some find that by thinking about their riding and discussing it with others they enjoy it a lot more.

  6. The following 2 users liked this useful post by The Spin Doctor:


  7. #5
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    15,725
    Like
    1,074
    Liked 1,546 in 1,030 posts

    Default Re: Upper body during corners?

    There was a thread, with illustrations, quite recently which covered this.

    F@cked if I know which one, though . . .

  8. #6
    Should Get Out More Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kazakhstan
    Posts
    31,857
    Like
    638
    Liked 800 in 455 posts
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Upper body during corners?

    A lot of people seem to hang their bum off the seat but keep their body upright. This is missing the point. The point of hanging off is not to make it easier to get your knee down to impress the birds at the bus stop, it's to keep the bike more upright so it doesn't ground out or go off the edge of the tyres at max lean. As such the old fella below is right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Keep low and lean body into corner.
    If you want to shift the combined CG of the bike so it leans less you need to hang everything towards the centre of the bend, in fact your upper body makes the most difference as it is furthest from the contact point of the tyre which determines the lean axis.

    That said, it's a racing technique and of no real relevance to road riding.

  9. #7
    Taking it easy Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    30,754
    Like
    2,543
    Liked 2,960 in 1,829 posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Upper body during corners?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    A lot of people seem to hang their bum off the seat but keep their body upright. This is missing the point. The point of hanging off is not to make it easier to get your knee down to impress the birds at the bus stop, it's to keep the bike more upright so it doesn't ground out or go off the edge of the tyres at max lean. As such the old fella below is right.
    Woo hoo

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    If you want to shift the combined CG of the bike so it leans less you need to hang everything towards the centre of the bend, in fact your upper body makes the most difference as it is furthest from the contact point of the tyre which determines the lean axis.

    That said, it's a racing technique and of no real relevance to road riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. The following user liked this post made by Yorick:

    Val

  11. #8
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    15,725
    Like
    1,074
    Liked 1,546 in 1,030 posts

    Default Re: Upper body during corners?

    NB photo shows a soon-to-be expat late for the ferry

  12. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Horse:


  13. #9
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    15,725
    Like
    1,074
    Liked 1,546 in 1,030 posts

    Default Re: Upper body during corners?

    Google "kiss the mirror" cornering body position.

  14. #10
    Not Much To Do
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    980
    Like
    34
    Liked 57 in 50 posts

    Default Re: Upper body during corners?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn2 View Post
    When I am doing corners and also looking at pictures of people doing corners, I notice the upper body seems to bend the other way after the hips. Is this normal or to be avoided? Have I got this muddled up with counter balancing is is it one in the same?
    You are probably riding too tense.
    Probably easier to work out when you look at riders cornering on naked bikes. If you sit on your bike, on the side stand, wheels in line, engine off and hold the bars in position (you can bend, wrists etc) and try slowly pushing your left kneecap towards the front of the engine/cylinder block/radiator whilst keeping you right kneecap close to or dragging against the right side of the fuel tank. Without pulling the handlebars you should be able to return to your normal seating position by gently pushing up with your feet and twisting your hips back into position.
    Whilst it might not feel natural it should not feel uncomfortable.
    Others (above) will know more than me but I am sure this, and being able to flap your arms whilst leaning, are staple techniques for novice racers

Go Back to Forum My Forum