TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: 4t / 2t

Hybrid View

Location, Location - dead important apparently
    Liked 209 in 115 posts

Default 4t / 2t

Any opinions on the latest gen 2 strokes compared to 4 strokes?

Thinking Enduro spec and thinking 250 - 300 2 smoker as an alternative to a 250 4T. Apparently these modern smokers have lots and lots of low down torque right where you need it for slow speed stuff.

Any experience?

Ta

Liked 3,463 in 2,179 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 4t / 2t

My mate here has a 250 KTM freerider. Plenty of grunt. But lacks engine brake.

Gonna try a 400/450 4T before I buy.

Liked 4,899 in 2,840 posts

How modern?

In the early 00's I had a KDX220R and my old man had a DRZ400E, both 'competition enduro' rather than off road styled bikes (albeit quite soft ones compared to KTM, GasGas, etc..).

The KDX would lift it's front wheel over ruts using the throttle in the first 3 gears. The DRZ would dig a hole with the rear wheel if you tried the same. I loved the KDX, but pre-mix was a killer when out trail riding, the DRZ you could fill up with pump fuel anywhere.

If you're planing on a road going enduro, then I doubt any two stroke stuff meets Euro 4 standards so may be difficult to register if required.

I think modern competition 250 four bangers are almost as maintenance intensive as the older two smokes they replaced.

I guess the questions to ask are, how hard an enduro bike do you want, does it need to be road registered and how new do you want?

Liked 209 in 115 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    How modern?

In the early 00's I had a KDX220R and my old man had a DRZ400E, both 'competition enduro' rather than off road styled bikes (albeit quite soft ones compared to KTM, GasGas, etc..).

The KDX would lift it's front wheel over ruts using the throttle in the first 3 gears. The DRZ would dig a hole with the rear wheel if you tried the same. I loved the KDX, but pre-mix was a killer when out trail riding, the DRZ you could fill up with pump fuel anywhere.

If you're planing on a road going enduro, then I doubt any two stroke stuff meets Euro 4 standards so may be difficult to register if required.

I think modern competition 250 four bangers are almost as maintenance intensive as the older two smokes they replaced.

I guess the questions to ask are, how hard an enduro bike do you want, does it need to be road registered and how new do you want?
    Road not much of an issue, all my mates are using vans / trailers.

I'm thinking year old 2016 model, these new Beta's are getting a good rep. The Racing version iuses premix only, the slightly softer 250 / 300 has an auto lube system which apparently works - unusual for an auto lube but its been a lot of years in development.

http://www.betamotor.com/en/enduro/b...t-250-300-2017

Liked 3,463 in 2,179 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anteater View Post
    Road not much of an issue, all my mates are using vans / trailers.

I'm thinking year old 2016 model, these new Beta's are getting a good rep. The Racing version iuses premix only, the slightly softer 250 / 300 has an auto lube system which apparently works - unusual for an auto lube but its been a lot of years in development.

http://www.betamotor.com/en/enduro/b...t-250-300-2017
    Any prices?

Liked 209 in 115 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Any prices?
    A mates going to see a dealer this week, I'll get the lowdown from him and post it here

UK specs here http://www.beta-uk.com/index.php/all...uro/2017-rr-2t

7. The following user liked this post made by anteater:

Liked 209 in 115 posts

Jings Euro 4 2T!!!

For the 250 and 300 2T, introduced in 2016, the automatic oil injection system continues: as well as ensuring a perfect fuel-oil mix under any condition, it eliminates the trouble of having to premix the oil and fuel and eliminating the need to carry oil with you in the event of a fuel top up.
    Both propulsion systems are in line with the Euro4 European regulation – for units made in the second half of the year – and have a control unit designed for a CAN connection to interact with generic diagnosis instruments.

Go Back to Forum My Forum