TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Complaint to Shell - refused petrol

Liked 2,321 in 1,681 posts

Default Re: Complaint to Shell - refused petrol

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    It's obvious that other people are the problem, ffs!
    Angry remainer

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. The following user liked this post made by 1888:

Really Bored
    Liked 556 in 325 posts

Having done some work with oil companies I can confirm that they have REALLY stringent safety rules - due to the fact that the stuff they make/sell is VERY dangerous!! Many are imposed on them externally but they also have rules which are meant to prevent employees and customers and bystanders being injured (partly because they don't want to injure people and partly because they don't want the PR/Claims). If there is a rule there it's there for a reason.

The lady in question had probably had her training recently and was applying what she had been taught. Good for her - it's for your own protection and safety you numpty. You might have spent 17 filling your bike when sitting on it and you've been lucky. All you need is a spark and you won't have any chance of moving away from the fireball. Also you are potentially putting the staff and other customers/bystanders at risk.

Do grow up!

5. The following user liked this post made by Gem:

Liked 2,892 in 1,962 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    Angry remainer
    He left, to get petrol elsewhere.

Pexit means.... you know the rest.

7. The following 3 users liked this useful post by ink ink:

Liked 2,070 in 1,479 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    Is that two per transaction, Could you not drive out and back in to fill another two?
    When I raced I'd need 2 x 20 litre jerry cans of fuel, one of cheap stuff for the generator and one of the highest octane for the race bike. So I'd fill one, drive round the block, then fill the other at a different pump. Pay at pump of course. They knew what I was doing but I stuck to the rules so it was all good.

Liked 2,070 in 1,479 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gem View Post
    Having done some work with oil companies I can confirm that they have REALLY stringent safety rules - due to the fact that the stuff they make/sell is VERY dangerous!! Many are imposed on them externally but they also have rules which are meant to prevent employees and customers and bystanders being injured (partly because they don't want to injure people and partly because they don't want the PR/Claims). If there is a rule there it's there for a reason.

The lady in question had probably had her training recently and was applying what she had been taught. Good for her - it's for your own protection and safety you numpty. You might have spent 17 filling your bike when sitting on it and you've been lucky. All you need is a spark and you won't have any chance of moving away from the fireball. Also you are potentially putting the staff and other customers/bystanders at risk.

Do grow up!
    When petrol goes up, particularly in a confined space, it's more like ...

Liked 2,430 in 1,271 posts

I caught fire in a petrol station once. It was mildly stimulating for a minute or so.

I suspect if you're interested you can find a post of my experience by using the search function.

My thoughts - petrol is nasty 'orrible stuff, I quite like to have the opportunity to bravely run away!

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 806 in 505 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gem View Post
    The lady in question had probably had her training recently and was applying what she had been taught.
    https://www.energyinst.org/documents/1317
    which is referred to by HSE (http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosi...tions-2014.pdf)

Safe dispensing of petrol

d. motor cyclists and their passengers should dismount from their machines

12. The following user liked this post made by Kneerly Down:

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 806 in 505 posts

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    When I raced I'd need 2 x 20 litre jerry cans of fuel, one of cheap stuff for the generator and one of the highest octane for the race bike. So I'd fill one, drive round the block, then fill the other at a different pump. Pay at pump of course. They knew what I was doing but I stuck to the rules so it was all good.
    But not to the law.
    What size containers can I use? The new Regulations state that petrol can be stored in the following containers:
     plastic containers up to 10 litres (previous regulations restricted this to 5 litres)
     metal containers up to 20 litres (previous regulations restricted this to 10 litres)

How much petrol can I store on a vehicle? You can store up to 30 litres of petrol in a maximum of two suitable portable petrol containers in a vehicle (including boats and aircraft). This type of storage counts towards the total storage at non-workplace premises.

Liked 1,898 in 1,301 posts

TBF, there is more chance of spillage if your bike is on a side stand, plus you can't get enough petrol in. My Husqvarna was suicidal on its side stand, you only had to look at it wrong and would fold graciously up and the bike would keel over, not so good when filling it up. Only got shouted at once, went inside, explained the situation and they then let me carry on.

Be nice to people and they can be nice to you.

15. The following user liked this post made by LondonDRZ:

Should Get Out Soon Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 4,956 in 2,319 posts

I have no issue with someone wishing to express a personal preference, in this case, sitting on a bike while filling it with petrol. Seems rather idiotic to me since you're gonna have to get off to pay anyway and an incredibly dangerous practice should petrol spill over onto a hot engine. But hey, maybe the OP is going for a Darwin award. I have no problem with that either.

On the other hand, I do have a problem with people who set themselves up as some sort of spokesperson especially for my chosen lifestyle. The problem is, there are issues regarding motorcycles and petrol stations; the obvious one being the (thankfully rare) requirement to take off one's helmet. I never have and never will. If there's a sign in place, I will move on and shop elsewhere. If there is no sign and I a not served, I carefully place the fuel filler on the ground and go buy petrol elsewhere.

Woe betides anyone who would refuse to accept payment if I decline a request to undress for them. I have offered payment, if the vendor refuses (NB must be cash) then I have completed obligation to make a payment so they can either take their petrol back or take my money. No other option.

That is a more commonplace infringement of my civil liberty, not some suicidal lunacy which hopefully will die out with the unfortunate bikers who persist in that practice. Moaning or god forbid campaigning against a common sense request only dilutes any other argument and may result in legislation which one assumes could also have the helmet-off bollocks tacked onto it for hood measure...

S.

17. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Liked 3,404 in 2,298 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    I have no issue with someone wishing to express a personal preference, in this case, sitting on a bike while filling it with petrol. Seems rather idiotic to me since you're gonna have to get off to pay anyway and an incredibly dangerous practice should petrol spill over onto a hot engine. But hey, maybe the OP is going for a Darwin award. I have no problem with that either.

On the other hand, I do have a problem with people who set themselves up as some sort of spokesperson especially for my chosen lifestyle. The problem is, there are issues regarding motorcycles and petrol stations; the obvious one being the (thankfully rare) requirement to take off one's helmet. I never have and never will. If there's a sign in place, I will move on and shop elsewhere. If there is no sign and I a not served, I carefully place the fuel filler on the ground and go buy petrol elsewhere.

Woe betides anyone who would refuse to accept payment if I decline a request to undress for them. I have offered payment, if the vendor refuses (NB must be cash) then I have completed obligation to make a payment so they can either take their petrol back or take my money. No other option.

That is a more commonplace infringement of my civil liberty, not some suicidal lunacy which hopefully will die out with the unfortunate bikers who persist in that practice. Moaning or god forbid campaigning against a common sense request only dilutes any other argument and may result in legislation which one assumes could also have the helmet-off bollocks tacked onto it for hood measure...

S.
    I believe that if they show that credit cards are accepted then offering to pay by credit card is valid, it's part of their agreement with the credit card companies. As for taking the petrol back, I'd invite them to try, but they must take only (e.g.) Shell petrol, they mustn't take any Esso or Tesco or Morrisons.

Liked 115 in 73 posts

8 pages and not one hint of a Cuddly Wuddly Beary Beary Boo from anybody?
    Standards must be slipping

20. The following user liked this post made by Ade01:

Liked 2,321 in 1,681 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ade01 View Post
    8 pages and not one hint of a Cuddly Wuddly Beary Beary Boo from anybody?
    Standards must be slipping
    Only five pages on my computer you blind cuddly wuddly beary beary boo

Liked 6 in 5 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Actually I got the bloke rush out from a shell service staion on the A1 at me the other week as I was filling all 5 of the 5 litre cans. 'You can only fill 2.' Ah right I said, brimming up the 3rd one. Went in to pay. 'Sorry about that, but it's group policy,' he said. 'No worries,' I replied. 'Your garage, your rules.'

'Of course there's nothing to stop you going across the bridge & filling the rest up at our shell garage there,' he said.

Be reasonable: receive reasonable
    When filling my 2 20ltr cans for racing I either fill them at side door of van or park car a bit squint so they don't actually see the cans from their desk

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,596 in 1,545 posts
    Blog Entries

There's limits to the number of cans I filled about 15 20l boat fuel cans in one go some years ago when I did some work for a fish farm. The most irritating bit is some pumps have a cut off at 100l and have to be reset.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum