TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: So I now have a mini mill.

Liked 967 in 584 posts

Default Re: So I now have a mini mill.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    what kind of steel are you cutting?

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Liked 829 in 432 posts

Cheap unmarked. They call is silver steel but I've seen other stuff called the same thing. It was a cheap ebay special block, 1" square by 2' long for a tenner. It's tough as nails though. Blunts my Tian coated drills really quickly, luckily they are less than quid each Cutting oil helps the drills. Not using coolant on the mill as I heard you either flood carbide or do nothing. I may have heard that hear.

I need to get a power feed so I can do proper feed rates.

EDIT: Look in my last post, the clamps are made from it. Looks like any kind of steel to me

Liked 967 in 584 posts

OK, that's a low alloy steel or a high carbon one minimum, so I reckon you're running pretty fast with no coolant, try about 1/4 - 1/3 the revs, and 1.5 -2 X the feed. with a low feed rate you are rubbing more than cutting which generates heat that can't be taken away by the cuttings. Heat is death to cutting tools. The numbers above are based on my dormer milling cutter book btw. If you have an air supply, blowing air on the cutter may help, but it's not as good as proper coolant, which also a lubricant and removes swarf.

Liked 829 in 432 posts

Ok. To Ben honest
    I was just running at whatever speed made the mill happy. Thanks.

Liked 829 in 432 posts

Finished a set of t nuts today, they fit better than the ones I bought. Also modified the band saw with a threaded hole
    To put clamps onto for smaller bits. One of my carbide end mills is chipped, tried higher feed slower RPM and the mill hated it.

7. The following 2 users liked this useful post by fingerpuk:

Liked 967 in 584 posts

In what way did it hate it?

Liked 829 in 432 posts

Vibrated like it was about to achieve orgasm.

Liked 967 in 584 posts

OK, sounds like a lack of stiffness, back the feed off, try keeping the speed where it was

11. The following user liked this post made by Big Pete:

At Work
    Liked 598 in 214 posts

My mill is the same , i try to remember to lock all the slides apart from the one
    i am using and i use lower speeds than those generally quoted in books.

13. The following user liked this post made by khd:

Liked 829 in 432 posts

Hi all.

I lock the slides, the mill is just wobbly and light. It even shudders putting the pilot hole into things. It'll do for my needs until I begin to think about larger stuff in a couple of years. But a bigger lathe is next on the cards once the house extension is built and I can replace the shed with a proper machine shop, and use the garage for the two new bikes I'll be getting Going off topic, that's a thread for another place

So yesterday the mower died, a part you can't source had split. Didn't take photos as I was too hot and bothered to go find my phone, but made up a couple of new parts from steel and aluminium on the mill and lathe, mower is back alive again. 20 minutes vs 400 for a new mower. Between that and the part I made to fix a Daimler V8 the machines have paid for themselves. Not my V8 but nice to see it running with my handwork on it. Not sure how you can survive without machines and practical knowledge.

Almost ready to make my first watch case from aluminium, a test piece before I cut out brass or bronze. I need to source some brass 5" diameter for less than the cost of a round trip to the Moon.

15. The following 2 users liked this useful post by fingerpuk:

Liked 967 in 584 posts

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpuk View Post
    Hi all.

Almost ready to make my first watch case from aluminium, a test piece before I cut out brass or bronze. I need to source some brass 5" diameter for less than the cost of a round trip to the Moon.
    good luck with that, IMO, you need to start reading up on home foundry stuff, because that application is crying out for a custom casting. At the very least , think about a pattern and get a pro foundry to actually cast it. There's a place near me does one offs and small runs in brass.

Liked 967 in 584 posts

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpuk View Post
    Hi all.

good luck with that, IMO, you need to start reading up on home foundry stuff, because that application is crying out for a custom casting. At the very least , think about a pattern and get a pro foundry to actually cast it. There's a place near me does one offs and small runs in brass.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Go Back to Forum My Forum