TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trossachs , a good place to stay in Scotland?

At Work
    Liked 863 in 309 posts

Default Trossachs , a good place to stay in Scotland?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Last time I went to Scotland I stayed in the Kyle of Lochalsh but it was a bit of a trek
    just getting there .
    So I was thinking the Trossachs was in easy reach in one day and may make a good
    base to explore from.
    Anyone have any experience of the area?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Trossachs , a good place to stay in Scotland?

The Trossachs are lovely. They are also exceedingly busy, being so close to the most heavily populated areas of Scotland. I go there loads out of season (mainly camping and canoeing but on the bike also) and avoid like the plague in season. Depends what you are after really. If its a great ride on the bike in wonderful scenery, personally I wouldn't go as far and spend the time in Dumfries and Galloway and the Borders. What do you want to know?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,479 in 935 posts

As Adam said, it gets very busy with pesky tourists. Depending on the time of year, like many areas of Scotland, midges are prolific.

Liked 258 in 147 posts

Hi, KHD,
    I live in Stirling and know the area very well as the Trossachs are pretty much in Stirlingshire. The guys are spot on above, but I disagree in terms of how busy it is, you'll find that weekdays are fine at any time of the year. Summer weekends on the other hand can be a nightmare, sometimes to the point where I don't even consider riding out on Sundays. Due to volume of traffic, butthead car drivers and plod. Half of Glasgow seems to head north to the Loch Lomond area when the sun's out. If it's damp and warm with no wind, the midges are worse than being waterboarded, but again if you're not camping then it's fine. Nothing better than getting off the bike and sitting in front of a log fire with a pint and a plate of steak pie. Are you looking for camping or B&B? Where are will you be travelling from?

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Craigyboy9:

At Work
    Liked 863 in 309 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    The Trossachs are lovely. They are also exceedingly busy, being so close to the most heavily populated areas of Scotland. I go there loads out of season (mainly camping and canoeing but on the bike also) and avoid like the plague in season. Depends what you are after really. If its a great ride on the bike in wonderful scenery, personally I wouldn't go as far and spend the time in Dumfries and Galloway and the Borders. What do you want to know?
    Just looking for ideas really, have stayed in Hawick and done the borders into Northumberland but not over
    to Dumfries.
    My GF works in a school so we are tied to school holidays unfortunately , that's why we are looking now for
    accommodation. I know it gets busy around Lock Lomond but we were thinking more toward Dunoon .
    Will look Dumfries and Galloway and see what is available self catering wise.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Oh and another thing to keep in mind if you see GLF signs as advisory, is the main roads in the area are very well and often sneakily policed.

Liked 258 in 147 posts

Quote Originally Posted by khd View Post
    Just looking for ideas really, have stayed in Hawick and done the borders into Northumberland but not over
    to Dumfries.
    My GF works in a school so we are tied to school holidays unfortunately , that's why we are looking now for
    accommodation. I know it gets busy around Lock Lomond but we were thinking more toward Dunoon .
    Will look Dumfries and Galloway and see what is available self catering wise.
    Why Dunoon?

Liked 258 in 147 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Oh and another thing to keep in mind if you see GLF signs as advisory, is the main roads in the area are very well and often sneakily policed.
    GLF signs! Had to look that up there lol

At Work
    Liked 863 in 309 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craigyboy9 View Post
    Why Dunoon?
    Well we are looking for self catering , maybe a cottage or cabin and further away from
    'normal' life the better. Not many to choose from really but the most likely have been
    somewhere off the road to Dunoon but not Dunoon itself.

Liked 258 in 147 posts

How long are you planning on being up here? Are you planning on returning to the same base every night or a few different places?
    Check out Aberfoyle, Callender, Killin, Lochearnhead, Crianlarich, Tyndrum, Inveraray, Arrochar. These places are all in the national park area, so there should be plenty to chose from. The furthest afield is Inverary which is no longer than 1hour30 from Glasgow city centre.

At Work
    Liked 863 in 309 posts

Some of those places are more central than I have been looking at, I have mainly been looking
    nearer Inveraray.
    This looks ideal https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/killin/554101 near Killin , we just want
    a base for around 5 nights .

Liked 258 in 147 posts

Inveraray are is good, you can head south to Tarbet, Campbelltown, Machrihanish etc, stunning down there, plus there's options to get the boat to Islay, if you like Whisky, then it's the centre of the universe or head north to Oban and daytrip to Mull.
    As you say Killin is more central, but you have options to head west to Oban, North west to Glencoe , North the Aberfeldy, Pitlochry Dunkeld or a little further would take you to Glenshee and Braemar, or come back south east to Callender, Aberfoyle and Stirling.

That cottage looks great by the way, Loch Tay is a lovely place, maybe not quite as dramatic as other places further north, but lovely. There's plenty of walks to do in the Killin area that apparently aren't too taxing.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,251 in 2,442 posts
    Blog Entries

If you have time to make it out this far then PM me.

15. The following user liked this post made by cheb:

khd

Liked 1,297 in 821 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    If you have time to make it out this far then PM me.
    The chilli is very nice

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,251 in 2,442 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    The chilli is very nice

There's still some at the back of the fridge if he wants it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission