TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Route Planning

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Route Planning

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    So you already have Croatia and the Alps planned....bastid
    No, but I have some waypoints. One of them, or Romania, will be next year now. This summer is a return trip with Lisa...

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,756 in 1,683 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Yes and yes.
    I have this one:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Moto...s=garmin+390lm
    There's lots of different models tho so just get one that does what you need. Other makes are available but garmin seem to have the best package. TomTom has a better GUI but not as good planning capability for instance.
    So in simple terms I buy the garmin, I plan the normal roads in basecamp and upload to the garmin, I plan the green lanes in the OS app and export them in a format to the garmin, I then put them in order and follow them, that's how simple I want it so I assume that's how it is ? Or as you said I can do the whole lot in basecamp and just accept a few lanes may wander off line ?

Liked 1,461 in 847 posts

Just to contribute:

Still using Google maps on the phone here.

I plot the route and save it in mymaps.google.com, and then display the route over the map tiles without going into the 'navigation' part of the App.

I do NOT use directions or indications - I just have the 'track' displayed over the map tiles. I prefer that as I can then see more of the oncoming landmarks and it works better (for me) as I find Google's sat-nav instructions are always a little slow in being output from the service: eg instructions to 'turn left here' often occur AS I'm in the middle of doing the actual manoeuvre (or would have been if the instructions were more timely!) - especially on roundabouts. I find that with most Sat-Nav systems though - maybe I just drive too quickly?

Displaying the 'track' on the map tiles works like having a paper map with a line drawn on it - but with the Google Maps app I also get the current location displayed.

With Google Maps you can download and store the map tile images for any given area prior to setting out so you don't NEED to have a data connection.

Downsides - occasionally Google Maps would recalculate the route (especially longer ones) and thus take you away from your planned route - which is frustrating, but I think it's happening less with the newer upgrades, and if you do a full plan in mymaps.google.com - ie setting multiple waypoints, rather than just having start and end points then dragging the route to use certain roads. (ie - tricking the system into giving you the 'optimal' route, but in small segments so re-routeing doesn't happen).

Obviously not the best solution in the world, and not as detailed as Adam's systems but it's free and works ok.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

To clarify, you plot green lanes on OS map app and export to your laptop to open in basecamp. You then export all the routes, road and dirt, from basecamp to the garmin unit. You can't see actual green lanes on basecamp mapping for the most part, so any routes plotted on the OS app show on basecamp as a route (coloured line) through nowhere (mostly - theres the odd one that shows as a dirt track).
    You can use the OS mapping on the app on the phone if you struggle with the garmin directions.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Can you get OS level mapping on google maps RB?

Liked 28 in 24 posts
    Blog Entries

if i was set on an expedition...anyway.... I would have the late, great, field marshal ADAM onboard.... he is the greatest. And as far as logistics and the REME go, this man could ford the Danube single handed, mightier than Ceasar himself, Augustus... I lovw this rider unconditionally. With tears in my eyes.

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,910 in 1,971 posts

Quote Originally Posted by tenbears View Post
    if i was set on an expedition...anyway.... I would have the late, great, field marshal ADAM onboard.... he is the greatest. And as far as logistics and the REME go, this man could ford the Danube single handed, mightier than Ceasar himself, Augustus... I lovw this rider unconditionally. With tears in my eyes.
    Step away from the beers. Ten is way too many.

Liked 362 in 137 posts

I understand the op was about building routes.. I pinch routes from wikiloc and viewranger and then save the gpx files on my phone and use back country navigator or viewranger out on the trails on my Android phone.

I also have a garmin Montana 600, these seem to be the most popular.. And build routes on Basecamp

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Liked 1,461 in 847 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Can you get OS level mapping on google maps RB?

you mean the zoom level, or the quantity of information?
    yes to the former - you can zoom in to streetview level
    Probably not to the actual info though - I don't believe that Google source their BOAT/lane information from OS (not sure where it comes from, but doubt it's as accurate as OS - stand to be corrected of course.

I use 'ViewRanger' for doing any mapping stuff at walking speeds. IIRC they DO source from OS - but you have to buy it. The Free map tiles (from OpenMaps iirc) are pretty good though.

I don't do cycling so don't need anything optimised for those speed ranges (I'm either doing 3 or >30mph - nothing in between )

At Work
    Liked 614 in 356 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    As they say Tyre or another Called ITN. Just watch when plotting a route. I did one to fallow the road up the side of the Mossel River. When you pin a waypoing make sure its on the correct side of the road as if your on a Dual carriageway your sat nav may send you back till you go over it. Mine did twice and in a town i must have been well off as it took me up winding streets in a town. The streets were all one way and took me back down to the road i was on but my waypoint was a house near the corner, Oops. Had i been in a larger van i would have been fooked.
    I've had that happen when using Basecamp. It can be a right pain in the arse. Once I've plotted a route now I zoom in and follow it before uploading to the Sat Nav.

Liked 362 in 137 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    you mean the zoom level, or the quantity of information?
    yes to the former - you can zoom in to streetview level
    Probably not to the actual info though - I don't believe that Google source their BOAT/lane information from OS (not sure where it comes from, but doubt it's as accurate as OS - stand to be corrected of course.

I use 'ViewRanger' for doing any mapping stuff at walking speeds. IIRC they DO source from OS - but you have to buy it. The Free map tiles (from OpenMaps iirc) are pretty good though.

I don't do cycling so don't need anything optimised for those speed ranges (I'm either doing 3 or >30mph - nothing in between )
    View ranger is very expensive for the OS mapping.. That's why I use backcountry navigator, iirc it was 10 for premium and I can download whatever tiles or area I like. At the mo I have the whole of East Anglia saved on my phone memory card

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Really Bored
    Liked 642 in 453 posts

As they say Tyre or another Called ITN. Just watch when plotting a route. I did one to fallow the road up the side of the Mossel River. When you pin a waypoing make sure its on the correct side of the road as if your on a Dual carriageway your sat nav may send you back till you go over it. Mine did twice and in a town i must have been well off as it took me up winding streets in a town. The streets were all one way and took me back down to the road i was on but my waypoint was a house near the corner, Oops. Had i been in a larger van i would have been fooked.
    Had this as well, and it's bloody annoying.

Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to come up with an "Oops, skip that waypoint" or "Sure, that's near enough" button?

Liked 1,461 in 847 posts

Google maps does this as well.

I can kinda understand 'WHY' - but it's a typical piece of 'lack of forethought' in the UI/UX department that's really to blame.

Liked 3,265 in 1,703 posts

If it's any help, I had an email from OS today. They seem to be offering every UK OS map for a bundle price for 20. I'll try to find the email.

edit:- yup, I was right - 19.99 annual sub. https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/sho...ps-online.html

How good the planning software is tho' I have no idea.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 507 in 281 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    If it's any help, I had an email from OS today. They seem to be offering every UK OS map for a bundle price for 20. I'll try to find the email.

edit:- yup, I was right - 19.99 annual sub. https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/sho...ps-online.html

How good the planning software is tho' I have no idea.
    Was just about to post that exact same thing. Its a 20 annual sub mind, but shouldn't break the bank. Its a new app , not the one I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission