TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Route Planning

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,756 in 1,683 posts

Default Route Planning

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I want to sit in front of my computer and plan a route for riding, it'll include normal roads and some green lanes. I can plan a route on google or something similar but then I want to upload to a smartphone or gps and hit follow route, preferably a device that can work off line and not need a data signal. Strava app can do this but needs a data signal for the map section so anyone know a way to do it thanks

Liked 2,560 in 1,419 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Route Planning

No, but I need the same thing!

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 2,620 in 1,151 posts

TYRE and a tomtom/garmin is what I use for road work. I use Memory Maps for cycling (on and off/road) as it uses OS mapping layers. Both of which require a GPS but not a data signal.

Liked 7,246 in 4,087 posts

I got a free Tyre Pro license with my TomTom 400.

It's pretty good, works with Garmin's too.

Uses the Google Maps API's so everything is nicely up to date.

5. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

There's a Tyre app too, but I've never used it.

Liked 1,557 in 808 posts

I do shit loads of this for mountain biking. I use a Garmin Etrex on the bike and Garmin Basecamp on the PC. If you do decide to buy a Garmin you'll need some maps and an SD card, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Edit: thinking about it, an Etrex might not be too good for a motorcycle. The map tiles can be slow to load sometimes, not a problem on a bicycle but I can catch it out going downhill.
    Last edited by Pirahna; 31-01-17 at 17:24.

8. The following user liked this post made by Pirahna:

At Work
    Liked 462 in 244 posts

Another vote for Tyre here. You might even pick up some routes you can adjust from the Tyre website

Liked 1,491 in 1,046 posts
    Blog Entries

whatever it is that Adam uses seems pretty damned good.

Liked 2,787 in 1,996 posts

As they say Tyre or another Called ITN. Just watch when plotting a route. I did one to fallow the road up the side of the Mossel River. When you pin a waypoing make sure its on the correct side of the road as if your on a Dual carriageway your sat nav may send you back till you go over it. Mine did twice and in a town i must have been well off as it took me up winding streets in a town. The streets were all one way and took me back down to the road i was on but my waypoint was a house near the corner, Oops. Had i been in a larger van i would have been fooked.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 68 in 43 posts

I used to try to do this. Then got fed up. Brought myself the latest Tom Tom rider. Set route preference to most twisty max elevation and it takes you down roads you don't know even existed.

Managed to ride from Hertfordshire to Weston super mare with 90% non main roads. Brilliant.

Even using it locally one day I did 30 miles on roads I had never seen. Plus you can easily draw routes on the sat nav and set way points.

Be prepared it takes you on proper single track mud, gravel farms roads lol.

13. The following user liked this post made by Tel 636:

A Bit Bored
    Liked 2 in 2 posts

www.ridewithgps.com

the only issue is when you start planning 500+ mile routes, it has lots of way points and does not like that.

They have an app which can be used offline. Or you can download the gpx and put that on a garmin/tom tom.

https://ridewithgps.com/help/offline-maps-iphone

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,756 in 1,683 posts

Just reading about tyre and it seems the route you plan has a limited number of way points and when loaded into the Tom Tom the sat nav plots between the way points ?, is this right as I want it to blindly follow my route with no other suggestions or alterations and the routes I have already have a lot of waypoints

Quote Originally Posted by couchcommando View Post
    Just reading about tyre and it seems the route you plan has a limited number of way points and when loaded into the Tom Tom the sat nav plots between the way points ?, is this right as I want it to blindly follow my route with no other suggestions or alterations and the routes I have already have a lot of waypoints
    Difference between Waypoints and Tracks.

If you use Tracks the Satnag doesn't calculate a route between waypoints, it uses your defined 'track'.

17. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 3,823 in 1,934 posts

I use Tyre with an old Tom Tom on the bike but i did find problems converting the routes Adam sent me as his software was different that he used with his Garmin. I can remember the software he uses but it works very very well and as you well know he likes to deviate off the beaten track for his routes.

He'll find this thread at some point soon and answer the question rather than me trawling through months of our pre Norway discussions on messenger where he told me what he uses

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    I use Tyre with an old Tom Tom on the bike but i did find problems converting the routes Adam sent me as his software was different that he used with his Garmin. I can remember the software he uses but it works very very well and as you well know he likes to deviate off the beaten track for his routes.

He'll find this thread at some point soon and answer the question rather than me trawling through months of our pre Norway discussions on messenger where he told me what he uses
    Basecamp?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission