TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: 4k HDD recorder

Not Much To Do
    Liked 51 in 34 posts

Default 4k HDD recorder

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I currently have a 40" Sony HD TV, around 6 years old. It's a good picture but I was considering investing in 4k for even better picture quality.

The majority of tv I watch is pre-recorded off my Humax HDD recorder (1Tbyte thingy) which doesn't do 4k.. so if I invest in a new tv, is there also a HDD that I could upgrade to? (do such things exist for 4k??)

thx.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Liked 538 in 370 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 4k HDD recorder

Quote Originally Posted by tarmacsurfer View Post
    I currently have a 40" Sony HD TV, around 6 years old. It's a good picture but I was considering investing in 4k for even better picture quality.

The majority of tv I watch is pre-recorded off my Humax HDD recorder (1Tbyte thingy) which doesn't do 4k.. so if I invest in a new tv, is there also a HDD that I could upgrade to? (do such things exist for 4k??)

thx.
    There is naff all 4K content to be consumed at the minute - if the current recorder does FullHD keep it and upgrade when there is more of a reason to.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 51 in 34 posts

Cheers echus. I read recently (perhaps on here) that on some of the new tv's you can connect a HDD and use the TV menu planner to drop programmes to it, rather than have external freeview recorder?
    I really need a young person to steer me through all this technology stuff! Lol

Should Get Out More TheEnglishman's Avatar
    Liked 622 in 386 posts
    Blog Entries

The BBC have a closed 4k HDR channel set up and it seems the format wars for that are close to being resolved. I'd hold off splurging megabucks at a big TV setup and perhaps wait until Christmas or perhaps this time next year. But it does look really good on a big TV.

Recording 4k, and worse 4k HDR, requires a very large amount of storage and a none too shabby system to replay it. As 4k will mainly be delivered on demand is there any reason to record it? Why not just stream it again? And again?

Not Much To Do
    Liked 51 in 34 posts

OK convinced by your replies that I don't need to splurge money on a new TV. I'll sit it out and spend on more bike bits!

7. The following 2 users liked this useful post by tarmacsurfer:

Liked 1,528 in 953 posts
    Blog Entries

In my limited understanding of this, being in the same boat as you as well as being a PC gamer on my big telly, I feel I should say that you only get the real benefits of 4k on screens over 40". 50" is considered really where you want to be. So if your front room isn't well-sized for a 50" then you start getting into HDR yes, 4k not neccessarily.

Nothing's ever easy .

Go Back to Forum My Forum