TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: Hand rails, newel posts and balustrades!

Liked 1,171 in 738 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Hand rails, newel posts and balustrades!

I appreciate a picture says a thousand words, but bear with me until I get home and remember this place marker!

The newel post at the bottom of the stair case has be chopped off at stair level and the plan is to reinstate the post, add balustrades (no further apart than prevents a 100mm sphere passing) and a hand rail.

The first problem is whoever cut the post off, cut it off on the piss so the first job is to trim that up square. I am thinking of making a frame out of 4x2 around three sides like a U and clamping that to the post and then skimming the top of the post square with the router using the frame as a guide using a guide bush. Does this sound sensible?

The next step will be to chamfer the top and side edges so I am not too worried about break out but I am hoping very light cuts and the clamped on boards will minimise that in any case.

Would any of you do it any differently?

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 1,171 in 738 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hand rails, newel posts and balustrades!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Im not too worried about the current chips and missing lumps as I reckon they'll disappear in the chamfer or can be filled.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 149 in 59 posts

My thoughts would be that any repair to your newel post would not have the strength
    I assume the bottom of the post is held in with glued dowels through the Stringer Tennon (just guessing ,I'm not a Chippy)
    could you sand down the newell to expose the dowells and then drill them out. Then knock the post off. Cut new mortice into new post and fit it properly.

Or get a chippy in todo it propper.

5. The following user liked this post made by Nobbynumbnut:

Liked 1,171 in 738 posts
    Blog Entries

I thought I took some photos during the process but I can't seem to find them...

Post top was milled off slowly with a 1/2" router bit before being chamfered using the smaller 1/4 router, a rasp and various bits of sand paper. I then used a Wickes newel post fastening system (12mm coarse thread one end and M10 thread the other) to attached a new post, crafted by my own hands from 2 x 70x34 PSE with lots of glue. Wall newel was made from same stock but rebated so that it wrapped the wall, pocket screws and gripfill hold it securely to the wall stud behind it.

On the basis my local wood yard has now become wood stockist rather than a useful timber yard place, I had to abandon buying 1x1m each of handrail and base rail as they now only sell half lengths (2.1m) I decided to make my own hand rail (63x38mm CLS) using my router with a 3/4 round over bit on all four edges.

I did cheat with the spindles, mainly as the cost of pine in the right size and finding knot free stock versus the price of pre made hemlock spindles was a no brainier! All of the spindles have been glued and pocket screwed to the base rail and hand rail which should mean they are there for the full term and strong enough to withstand and lateral movement.

All that needs to be done now is sand, fill, sand, painting, fill, sand and paint the whole lot together with the entire staircase.

EED08B9C-D8AB-4A2F-B95A-D8439C5888A8.jpg

7. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Silly Car:

Liked 1,903 in 1,264 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Car View Post
    Just checking . . . that spirit level, not showing 'vertical' is it?

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Horse:

Go Back to Forum My Forum