TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Linux: Going Over To The Light Side

Liked 27 in 17 posts

Default Re: Linux: Going Over To The Light Side

Much as I love the concept of Linux, I work in a Windows environment and always have since graduating, asp, asp.net, vb.net, and now C# (Visual Studio). Umbraco is my favoured choice of CMS these days and that doesn't run on Mono yet and as all my database experience has been with MS SQL Server (apart from a bit of Oracle when learning relational databases at Uni).

The moment I can move VS, SQL Server and Umbraco to Linux, I'd jump but running Wine isn't really the option - I might as well just run Windows (and to be honest, I actually like Windows 10).

I hated my Windows phone even after it had gone to 10!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 2,218 in 1,606 posts

Looking for a simple to use video editor. LIke Windows Movie Maker easy. Andy recommendations?

At Work
    Liked 384 in 257 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    Looking for a simple to use video editor. LIke Windows Movie Maker easy. Andy recommendations?
    There's a few suggestions here. Cannot make any recommendation myself, sorry.

Liked 1,469 in 931 posts

Linux Mint 18.1 Audio Playback And Ripping CD's - A Quick Review

Players

Clementine - A bit over the top. Lots of features but who wants a heart symbol!

Banshee
    - Been around a long time. Fails on getting obscure tracks or artists on look up.

Rhythmbox - Another stalwart. Does lots of things but again not so good on look ups.

My winner is: Audacious. Why? Minimalist. Comes with all manner of plug ins such as AAC, Ogg Vorbis, MP3 etc. But where it beats all the others hands down is what a player should be - superb sound output. There are lots of ways to enhance the sound from the simple graphic equaliser to the more complex effects.

Reviews of other players: https://www.slant.co/topics/2016/~mu...yers-for-linux

CD Rippers

Finally. The best for ripping CD's is Asunder. Very basic interface but with lots of encoding options such as mp3 and Monkey's Audio etc.

Continuing with the minimalist theme.

Audacious

I miss MediaMonkey on Windows. I was there at the start. Ten times better than iTunes.

Liked 3,021 in 2,015 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    Linux Mint 18.1 Audio Playback And Ripping CD's - A Quick Review

Players

Clementine - A bit over the top. Lots of features but who wants a heart symbol!

Banshee
    - Been around a long time. Fails on getting obscure tracks or artists on look up.

Rhythmbox - Another stalwart. Does lots of things but again not so good on look ups.

My winner is: Audacious. Why? Minimalist. Comes with all manner of plug ins such as AAC, Ogg Vorbis, MP3 etc. But where it beats all the others hands down is what a player should be - superb sound output. There are lots of ways to enhance the sound from the simple graphic equaliser to the more complex effects.

Reviews of other players: https://www.slant.co/topics/2016/~mu...yers-for-linux

CD Rippers

Finally. The best for ripping CD's is Asunder. Very basic interface but with lots of encoding options such as mp3 and Monkey's Audio etc.

Continuing with the minimalist theme.

Audacious

I miss MediaMonkey on Windows. I was there at the start. Ten times better than iTunes.
    I installed Vortexbox on an old laptop (Lenovo X60s, since you ask ). I use it to rip all my CDs. All you need to do is put the CD in the optical drive and it rips them to FLAC. You can tell it to convert them to MP3 (and/or ALAC) on the fly or you can wait and do it later.

Liked 1,469 in 931 posts

Thanks for that SL. Had a look at there website - never heard of them before. Is it software or do you have to buy a machine?

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    Thanks for that SL. Had a look at there website - never heard of them before. Is it software or do you have to buy a machine?
    It's a media server that uses various free software including Fedora Linux so you provide the machine, which can be an old, low spec desktop or laptop.

Somebody on TRC, I forget who, recommended it a few years ago.

EDIT: I did a search and found the original thread: https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/threads/92569

Liked 1,469 in 931 posts

Tip No. 2. Backup

Done a lot of reading from CloneZilla to the built in feature. Reached the conclusion for myself that I wanted a back up of the system and all the installed apps. Anything extra can be put on an external drive at will. I settled for ReDo BackUp and Recovery which takes an image of everything in case of a HD failure. Very easy to use when burned onto a CD. It's free. Also very fast. 15gb in 18 minutes.

http://redobackup.org/

Liked 1,469 in 931 posts

Tip No. 3

Something I learned the hard way. Might be helpful to anybody thinking of installing Linux.

When you install it you are asked to create a password. Off you go with a really complex password. And then you keep getting asked for it each time you do things like going to software downloads, bleach bit and lots of other programmes. It becomes a pain keep typing in a long password. Best advice unless you are in an insecure environment is to start with a two figure/letter password. You can then make all the changes much quicker. When done you can change the password to something a little more sophisticated than 1&2 or TY or whatever.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 12 in 8 posts

Maybe try a red hat distro?

Quote Originally Posted by comprar View Post
    Maybe try a red hat distro?
    If you're a home user and think you want Red Hat what you probably want is Centos. "The CentOS Linux distribution is a stable, predictable, manageable and reproducible platform derived from the sources of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)." https://www.centos.org/about/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Go Back to Forum My Forum