TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux: Going Over To The Light Side

Liked 1,395 in 886 posts

Default Linux: Going Over To The Light Side

Last week, enough was enough. Yet another crash with Windows. After all these years from Windows XP onward as well as the early Macs - used to love playing with Res Edit - I have now totally given up with Windows. Everything has gone, all the CD's, email, programmes stored on hard drives. Not a thing left to remind me of MS. Never again, not even in these my final years will I have a anything to do with MS.

This past month, after spending lots of time reading up on the various distros and teaching myself some terminal commands, I have installed Linux. Everything is working great, printer, browser, programmes. What I really like is the ability to chop and change distros be it Mint, Ubuntu or many of the others without it costing a penny.

What I really like about Linux is the community. Lots of really helpful people. Not only that there are some damn good tutorials on YouTube.

Chuffed to be using Libre Office for writing and Asunder for ripping CD's in flac.

My only regret is not having made the switch years ago.

A happy bunny or should I say penguin!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. The following 4 users liked this useful post by KorkyKat:

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 1,180 in 506 posts

Default Re: Linux: Going Over To The Light Side

Hope you never need to use Photoshop, iTunes or play games

Each OS has it's own merits and drawbacks. No need to just choose one, you could always dual boot.

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Derek Badger:

At Work
    Liked 224 in 137 posts

I'm glad you have managed to make the change to linux, I tried but failed over the simplist of things that I thought
    if I cant even do that what chance have I got trying to overcome the hundreads of hurdles that wait for me over time.

I am an Amateur Radio Operator (ham radio for the yanks) and one of my radios is constantly connexted to my PC
    for use with DXclusters and quite often I have to plug in a handheld to my PC to program it.

All of the radio to pc connection cables are usb based and need drivers installed to make them work and I spend
    about 3 weeks trying to install a driver for the cable linked below, I gave up in then end because if something so easy
    in windows like installing a driver is so difficult in linux then its not for me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Cat-Ca...kAAOxyGStRrvDt

Liked 36 in 30 posts

Using linuxmint after getting fed up with win10.
    Using opera web browser and thunderbird email, everything works fine, including games like: cs source, war thunder, tomb raider, the witcher2 etc.

Liked 1,395 in 886 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    Hope you never need to use Photoshop, iTunes or play games

Each OS has it's own merits and drawbacks. No need to just choose one, you could always dual boot.
    Fair comments. I rarely had use for Photoshop and now have Gimp which suits me for what I need.

As for iTunes. Yes, that is a sod but I have got a workaround. But first, this is what Apple does. I have a 160gb iPod Classic - mint condition. Lo and behold the bastards at Apple decide to upgrade iTunes and stop it syncing with the Classic. Years ago they all had planned obsolescence, now they upgrade the software so you have to spend more money on something new. Kiss that! Rockbox can sync with it. I can get by without iTunes. I just wish they did Media Monkey in Linux. Sighs...was always my favourite.

The only major problem I will have will be with FileMaker Pro. I have years of book and film archives and reviews on FM. I guess I will have to use Libre Office Base and create a new database and import it via csv. Bugger! If not I will have to use Wine.

As for games. I can honestly say I have never played a game on a p.c. Not something that attracts me.

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. To an extent that is true but if I go along at a steady pace I get there in the end.

And lastly...good to see that quite a few Linux programmes are now in GUI. Saves a lot hard work with commands.

Oh...Ubuntu Mate is brilliant! It takes minimalism and makes it into a fine art. It is also very user friendly.

Thanks for the comments.

Liked 1,395 in 886 posts

Eclipse. Great to hear from a radio amateur. Something I always wanted to get into. I had a mate whose loft was full of radio stuff. I wouldn't know where to start! If I recall he used to send and receive cards from all over the world.

Is CB radio still going?

Ogri. I like Mint. Has a nice interface. What I didn't like was the delete on the menu. Mate only has the shift to waste command.

With Mint you can also change the colours of folders on external HD's including sub folders. You can't on Mate.

10. The following user liked this post made by KorkyKat:

At Work
    Liked 224 in 137 posts

Hi Korky , CB is still going but not many people use it. Where I am (Watford) there is only me that goes on there (now and then)
    but I hear a few people from London sometimes, I think CB has more users north of me around the midlands area as there are
    Forums like this one dedicated to CB and that's where most of the users come from.

It is so easy now to get an Amateur License and because more people are using Amateur Radio many CBers have moved over
    to it, myself included.

There are 3 Amateur Radio Licenses in the UK, Foundation , Intermediate and Full (I have all three) and I think the youngest person
    is 12 yrs old that has the Foundation License.

These are the places I have worked since getting my Full License.

Liked 1,395 in 886 posts

Wow! I am impressed. I bet you have a heck of a lot of stories to tell from all those places. A real globetrotter.

Do you still need morse code for a licence?

I can still remember the phonetic alphabet from my days in the Artillery - for what use it is. I even recall the ancient radio sets - C19 & C45. Oh deary me!

Back to Linux. Was chuffed last night to have configured Audacity to record streaming radio in high quality.

13. The following user liked this post made by KorkyKat:

Liked 1,080 in 690 posts

I recall setting up a mahoosive dipole in Soest (Germany) and using the HF Clansman 321 to get morse comms to BATUS (near Medicine hat), funnily enough i was chatting to the SSgt that had us set that up the other day, about that very excercise. Apart from that we'd mostly use VHF encrypted voice comms over 30-40km distances, nothing exciting at all.

Wasn't C19/C45 Larkspur? You old bastid.

15. The following user liked this post made by Mitch99:

Liked 1,395 in 886 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch99 View Post
    Wasn't C19/C45 Larkspur? You old bastid.
    For a time, I was the youngest 'Boy Soldier' in the British Army at the time. Obviously after WWI & WWII.

Liked 1,021 in 686 posts
    Blog Entries

Any particular sort of Linux? They are all just a bit different from each other. Or sometimes just plain fuck you we're going over here.

I quite like the Debian, in it's base format it's completely "nope. we ain't doing not nuffin." until you explicitly decide what it is you want to do. Great for single or limited use servers in the real world. Also somewhat left-handed and "we're doing things oddwise from the main stream" which makes support more interesting. Or sometimes not.

Also running a Geexbox / Kodi, and those guys have fucked off into the long, long grass. Yay If it ain't in the GUI, then it's forum bashing time, but akshully just wing it. Cos fuck you if you can't, loser.

Raspian for Raspberry Pi's is Debian based but heading back to the mainstream. Sort of.

*nix. Great when it works. FOAD if it doesn't. If you're proper lucky someone has figured out and written out how to fix the problem you're having. But it turns out they had a similar but different problem 4 years ago and everything is subtly but utterly different and the commands they handily provide; well if you try them now, you'll probably electrocute next door's dog. Or your computer. Or both. But hey, Google says it'll work...

My personal solution to any Linux problem is to nuke the computer and start with a fresh install. Sooooo many times.

But only after fucking around with a million config files, dependencies, sub-dependencies and die-in-a-ditch-you-shitbag obscure system files. Obviously.

18. The following 2 users liked this useful post by redorzed:

Liked 2,921 in 1,946 posts

Quote Originally Posted by redorzed View Post
    Any particular sort of Linux? They are all just a bit different from each other. Or sometimes just plain fuck you we're going over here.

I quite like the Debian, in it's base format it's completely "nope. we ain't doing not nuffin." until you explicitly decide what it is you want to do. Great for single or limited use servers in the real world. Also somewhat left-handed and "we're doing things oddwise from the main stream" which makes support more interesting. Or sometimes not.

Also running a Geexbox / Kodi, and those guys have fucked off into the long, long grass. Yay If it ain't in the GUI, then it's forum bashing time, but akshully just wing it. Cos fuck you if you can't, loser.

Raspian for Raspberry Pi's is Debian based but heading back to the mainstream. Sort of.

*nix. Great when it works. FOAD if it doesn't. If you're proper lucky someone has figured out and written out how to fix the problem you're having. But it turns out they had a similar but different problem 4 years ago and everything is subtly but utterly different and the commands they handily provide; well if you try them now, you'll probably electrocute next door's dog. Or your computer. Or both. But hey, Google says it'll work...

My personal solution to any Linux problem is to nuke the computer and start with a fresh install. Sooooo many times.

But only after fucking around with a million config files, dependencies, sub-dependencies and die-in-a-ditch-you-shitbag obscure system files. Obviously.
    Or you could try Linux Mint which - you know - just works.

Liked 1,021 in 686 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    Or you could try Linux Mint which - you know - just works.
    They all 'just work' until they don't Or your using a different bit of hardware. Or want to do something with your machine 'they' haven't quite sorted, yet. There still seems to be a Debian edition of Mint so I don't know what the mainstream one is based on these days, but I'd happily wager against "just works" being a universal declaration

21. The following user liked this post made by redorzed:

Pax

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,233 in 1,326 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redorzed View Post
    They all 'just work' until they don't Or your using a different bit of hardware. Or want to do something with your machine 'they' haven't quite sorted, yet. There still seems to be a Debian edition of Mint so I don't know what the mainstream one is based on these days, but I'd happily wager against "just works" being a universal declaration
    But much the same can be said of all operating systems can't it?

I'm not a Linux fanboi, I've various devices running various OSs. OSX gives me the least trouble, excepting when upgrading an older machine. Windows? Pass me the bargepole, unless I really have to.

Liked 1,021 in 686 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    But much the same can be said of all operating systems can't it?

I'm not a Linux fanboi, I've various devices running various OSs. OSX gives me the least trouble, excepting when upgrading an older machine. Windows? Pass me the bargepole, unless I really have to.
    I was paid to fuck about with Linux and get it to do what it was supposed to do & what we wanted to achieve. I'm paid to fuck about with windows., etc. Honestly I have far, far less trouble with Microsoft stuff. It just works.

The server side: just works. Much, much easier to do interesting things by clicking wizards. MS are pushing Powershell, command line tools to do stuff. Which is great for scripting, but day to day? Clicking beats typing.

Client side: works. Start with a fresh install, because every supplier and his twatting dog add shit. Nuke it, install from scratch - working system. 3rd party shit fucks stuff up. My personal beef is Hewlett Packard, who make awful, awful software for some unknown reason, and won't stop. Weird.

Also: most antivirus software. Horrible shit.

Add a good set of Group Policy lockdowns to stop users doing stuff other than their Goddamn jobs, and (almost) everything is golden. In "the real world", fuckall beats group policies for an administration tool.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum