TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux: Going Over To The Light Side

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,164 in 1,289 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Linux: Going Over To The Light Side

I'm looking at it from the POV of a single home user, so much more smalltime but arguably more frustrating due to lack of expertise or experience.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 995 in 670 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    I'm looking at it from the POV of a single home user, so much more smalltime but arguably more frustrating due to lack of expertise or experience.

OTOH I gave my techno-phobic mate an Ubuntu laptop cos "his kids" kept getting viruses on the Windows XP machine, and he totally loved it. No problems with it, literally wore it out (hinges went). He just interwebbed on it, happy as Harry

Liked 1,331 in 854 posts

I've just installed Banshee and it works great with my iPod 160gb Classic and my Zen Creative 32gb player.

Screw Windoze.

I like Stellarium

Liked 1,079 in 669 posts
    Blog Entries

I've had the odd stab at Linux over the years and the same thing always happens - I just get fed up very quickly with spending 2 hours trying to do something that would take me literally 30 seconds in Windows. An example being installing something that doesn't come in the various app store type things in Linux. APT files, is it? I forget. What a lot of endless fucking around compared to a self-extracting exe where you say "unpack that there". Learning how to do that sort of thing makes me grind my teeth, and I'm not faint-hearted or easily confused with this stuff. It's just crap. I've got to start getting to grips with Linux soon, but I keep putting it off.

That said, the thing that boils my piss more than anything with Microsoft is the shitty stability of the Explorer shell. As a GUI, it's fine, but all those times (and probably Korky's crash) when you've just had the machine hanging while it chugs away wondering what it's doing about the latest app crash - that's normally to do with Explorer being an antiquated pile of shit that never worked properly and they can't move away from without rewriting every single applet that comprises Windows. If you can get Task Manager up when it's hanging and shitting itself, restarting Windows Explorer generally sorts it.

Right now I'm doing Windows VM & VHD stuff from a desktop install point of view. I have Windows 10 Home installed for a year or so. To swot I need Hyper-V (has to be MS Hyper-V for certification, the other VM software available won't do), which only comes on Windows 10 Professional. I considered upgrading to Professional - another 100 (I bought retail Win10 Home for a self-built machine, not OEM, for 120). But if you move your retail upgraded-from-Home OS from one machine to another following proper machine upgrade , which I will certainly do before the next OS comes along, then it reverts back to Home and you lose Prof and your 100. Fuck that lol, business user licencing shenanigans .

So I got a Windows 10 Prof Evaluation version. I went for years, all through Win7 and Win8, just running Evaluation versions and re-downloading and reinstalling every six months, probably wasn't worth the hassle for the savings, hence why I paid for Win10.

Right now on my machine, I have my standard install of Win10 Home, then I have a standard install of evaluation Win10 Prof, then I have another "native" install of Win10 Prof but from a VHD - all on multiboot. These were all practicals for the certification thing. And this morning I will be making another VHD and practising creating partitions on it, before installing yet another Win10 Prof on it so I can just run that one up in Hyper-V to do the other practicals on that.

Having seen the Microsoft Press certification coursework books from previous versions of Windows, I can honestly say they have got worse and worse in quality as the years have gone by. For example, the instruction on how to make a bootable USB using MS tools comes AFTER the instruction on doing all the installs above. Wtf good is that? Didn't stop me 'cos I know how to use a 3rd party tool (Rufus) to get it done, but still, how the fuck is that sensible?

Anyway, moan over. I'm really just procrastinating about getting up and cracking on with it .

Liked 1,526 in 913 posts

Yeah I have a monkey who fixes os stuff.

Liked 1,079 in 669 posts
    Blog Entries

ook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum