TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Linux: Going Over To The Light Side

Liked 2,317 in 1,677 posts

Default Re: Linux: Going Over To The Light Side

Thats Windows back in the spare laptop. LInux is getting to be a faf and it cant find drivers for my two printers.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Really Bored
    Liked 443 in 302 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    Thats Windows back in the spare laptop. LInux is getting to be a faf and it cant find drivers for my two printers.
    What printers are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
    What printers are they?
    An old HP deskjet 843C and a lexmark X 4650 what both have drivers available but would not install. Couple of hours spent getting nowhere. Put windows back in and documents with pictures printed with ease. I may keep Mint in the main laptop as the spare what lives in another room is what gets used for printing documents and dicking about with pictures and video, another couple of jobs what is less faf using windows.

Really Bored
    Liked 443 in 302 posts

I understand completely the "less faff with windows" thing. Try updating your Garmin sat-nav with Linux, for instance.

However, does anyone else remember the up-roar that ensued when vista was released and the subsequent "no, we will not be releasing drivers for your existing printer, scanner, whatever so that they can run on our shiny new (non)operating system"?

That was one of the reasons for the slow uptake of Unix/Linux originally - the lack of support/drivers from manufacturers. Then MS shot themselves in the foot with vista.

I like click, click done kind of software. Never manage to find a good video editor for Linux not one that let me set the MP3 levels that same in one folder. Windows movie maker and MP3 Gain does them jobs what i had all the time. Installing software that was not in the software managers list was not a case of hit install or an exe file. Yet to manage any third party software and as for vista, i did not go down that road thankfully but did have scanner problems when 7 came in but vuescan solved that problem easy enough.

Really Bored
    Liked 443 in 302 posts

I was confused, when I first moved to linux, about what to do with standalone "deb" files (that weren't listed as "packages" in the synaptic package manager) until I came across the "gdebi" utility. This neat little program handles the standalone "deb" packages and also hunts down and installs any required dependencies - has made life a lot easier. For instance, I needed to use this to install the drivers for my Brother laser printer.

There are still some packages that haven't been "packaged" as it were as "deb" or "rpm" files - depending on distribution - that make installation "clickable". And, as always, they are the ones that you really need.

It's true that handling a "tar.gz" package is daunting, but I have had success with these too. Mind you, that does undoubtedly require more work as you need to install more files in order to install the files you want. For ubuntu/debian/mint that's general something called "build-essentials" or some such - oh and a compiler. All extremely complicated when you're just starting out.

Liked 70 in 45 posts

Mickey Soft have had thirty odd years to develop a decent multitasking O/S and have failed miserably. IBM's version of a PC graphical O/S called OS2 worked properly 25 years ago - so much so that MS poached most of IBM's development team to write Windows NT.....which didn't work properly at all.

I've just bought a very 2nd hand 8 year old laptop off work, loaded LUBUNTU onto it and it now goes much quicker tham my modern desktop at work running Windows 7.

I have to use MS at work, but rest assured, as soon as I've retired, I'll have nothing more to do with them, ever......

Liked 1,163 in 813 posts
    Blog Entries

I like click, click done kind of software. Never manage to find a good video editor for Linux not one that let me set the MP3 levels that same in one folder. Windows movie maker and MP3 Gain does them jobs what i had all the time. Installing software that was not in the software managers list was not a case of hit install or an exe file. Yet to manage any third party software and as for vista, i did not go down that road thankfully but did have scanner problems when 7 came in but vuescan solved that problem easy enough.
    Drivers usually seem to be the bastard with Linux, plus I have an external sound card I use a lot in the evenings & my adobe software etc for photos. I would be very interested in a video editor for Linus though. I use windows movie maker on the office PC.

However despite sticking a SSD into this vista, & it plays DVDs fine, come video off my phone & it's not up to it. I do have it dual booted with Mint Linux 18.2, & it runs a lot faster with the Linux OS.

One wee thing which they don't tell you about (mainly because most people would do it properly...) is if you want to get rid of the linux boot you need to do this the windows disc manager, delete out the EXT4 formatted partitions & then extend the windows NTFS volume so you have your entire drive under NTFS & windows.

If you have a half hearted go at it, perhaps after a drink & you're wondering just what the fuck has gobbled up 30GB of your drive, & merrily delete that off, the grub boot loader still remains. Which means when you start the bastardup the next morning the boot loader can find fuck all (inc windows) & sticks at some thing about grub rescue. I did are about with that, but sticking in the windows disc does NOT fix it. What I had to do was stick the mint linux intall disc in again, boot, do the whole set up. Reboot it into windows & do the disc management thing properly.

Which all boils down to do it right the 1st time around

HTH someone.

Really Bored
    Liked 443 in 302 posts

Never manage to find a good video editor for Linux not one that let me set the MP3 levels that same in one folder. Windows movie maker and MP3 Gain does them jobs what i had all the time.
    Not used any video editing software before so cannot comment. You've probably seen this but I'll put it here anyway - 5 Best Free Video Editing Software for Linux In 2017

Note: The Kdenlive package will need the KDE desktop Environment - so Kubuntu flavour of Linux or similar.

11. The following user liked this post made by Lutin:

Liked 1,624 in 1,032 posts

There's no going back!

And still the praise continues. Installed a new printer today and the Linux community was a great help. Had it running in minutes.

If only there was a Linux Tablet - sighs.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/mint-18...linux-desktop/

Using 10 just now and its great to have my music and video editing programs back but fingers crossed my new charger arrives in the morning and i can get back to my super fast mint machine. Shit did i say that out loud

14. The following user liked this post made by 1888:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Go Back to Forum My Forum