TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: First time on a two smoke

A Bit Bored
    Liked 12 in 8 posts

Smile First time on a two smoke

On the outskirts of Dover, there is a piece of land that is a bit of an unofficial motocross track. I have met a group a few times and got friendly, so this time around we swapped bikes and they rode my 610 and I rode a couple of their bikes.

I road a KTM 125SX and a Suzuki RM125.

They were fast! I love how it feels like everything goes in fast forward when you get into the power band. I actually thought they were 250s at first. I am not sure I could handle a 250 two smoke if the 125s are so fast! To think, double the horsepower and not much more weight!

Although, I think my 610 did well to keep up with them, I am still loving the 610, it is so versatile and holds it's own against the more hardcore machines.

Now the question is, do I get a road bike or a two stroke enduro as a second bike!?

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 1,572 in 943 posts

Default Re: First time on a two smoke

125 MX bikes feel very quick, 250s don't feel a lot quicker but are harder to ride fast, best of both worlds are the 200 two strokes, same size frame as a 125 but with more mid range power.
    A competition two stroke will need a top end rebuild at least once a year, and if buying 2nd hand check the power valve linkages for wear, especially on KTMs.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

4. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,225 in 1,321 posts
    Blog Entries

CRM250 is what you want/need.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 12 in 8 posts

I researched somewhat into a "reliable" two stroke before I bought your 610 and the Kawasaki KDX200/220 seems to fit the bill. Soon I am going to have a couple grand sitting in my bank account. I want to do my 610 up but hopefully that will only cost a few hundred to get it how I want it.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    CRM250 is what you want/need.
    Yes, I remember looking at them as well! That and the KDX are prime candidates, good luck finding one though. There is a CRM on eBay for 1800, a bit overpriced considering what my 610 does and how much I bought it for.

But I really am loving the 610 and have been doing so for over a year now so I don't think I am going to get bored of it any time soon. Still want to get the gear lever sorted and then decat it to free up some more top end. I'm not really after another bike at the moment, I seem to be too "into" my 610 and don't want to be distracted from it.
    Last edited by Flynn2; 08-04-17 at 20:59.

Liked 333 in 193 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn2 View Post
    I researched somewhat into a "reliable" two stroke before I bought your 610 and the Kawasaki KDX200/220 seems to fit the bill. Soon I am going to have a couple grand sitting in my bank account. I want to do my 610 up but hopefully that will only cost a few hundred to get it how I want it.

Edit:

Yes, I remember looking at them as well! That and the KDX are prime candidates, good luck finding one though. There is a CRM on eBay for 1800, a bit overpriced considering what my 610 does and how much I bought it for.

But I really am loving the 610 and have been doing so for over a year now so I don't think I am going to get bored of it any time soon. Still want to get the gear lever sorted and then decat it to free up some more top end. I'm not really after another bike at the moment, I seem to be too "into" my 610 and don't want to be distracted from it.
    Decatting it will probably give you more bottom end which is nicer

Liked 1,572 in 943 posts

The cats were taken out before I bought it in 2004, if he's still Got The same cans on it then they're from a TE610 enduro bike, I think I also gave him a set of open cans which are stupid loud.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 12 in 8 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    The cats were taken out before I bought it in 2004, if he's still Got The same cans on it then they're from a TE610 enduro bike, I think I also gave him a set of open cans which are stupid loud.

This is quite interesting information to me, as the exhaust cans still have what look like the original factory rivets in them and feel quite heavy (about 3kg each?). There must be some gubbins still in there.

I found a thread about decatting on the husky forums and it involved removing the gubbins from the cans and putting perforated steel pipe all the way through surrounded by sound insulating material. Some of the forum users cited gains of up to 5hp whilst others didn't.

I am still seeing what I can do to make the engine more aggressive. But really I should appreciate it for what it is.

Back on the two smoke topic, what do you think of this beastly looking TM:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TM250-ENDU...UAAOSwB-1Y7kgK

If it was a couple of months later on in the year I might have put down a bid on this. I don't think it would overlap too much with my 610 being a two smoke and not suited for general use. It looks quite intimidating though! TM is supposed to be the Ferrari of the off road world.

Liked 1,572 in 943 posts

The cans on your bike are silenced but don't have cats, I thought I gave you a set of cans with perforated tubes in them, if I didn't I might still have them.

The TM is a full race bike, they're quick and handle superbly, but it's an Italian competition bike, check spares availability before you buy it, the handling really is fantastic though.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 12 in 8 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    The cans on your bike are silenced but don't have cats, I thought I gave you a set of cans with perforated tubes in them, if I didn't I might still have them.

The TM is a full race bike, they're quick and handle superbly, but it's an Italian competition bike, check spares availability before you buy it, the handling really is fantastic though.

This is new information to me. On the American forums, like ThumperTalk, there is this phrase known as "uncorking" which I think refers to removing the cats, but maybe it refers to something else. I feel that the 610 is still somewhat "corked" for lack of a more descriptive term. It does feel like it should be a bit more revy, it runs smoothly but doesn't really have an urgency about it when I blip the throttle, I was hoping a decat would see to this.

As for the TM, I was interested in that but a couple of months too early really! I would like something like that, probably more than a road bike. I have enough trouble getting spares for my 610 though, not sure what an obscure company like TM would be like for spares.

Liked 1,572 in 943 posts

I ran the Husky with open cans, it wasn't much quicker, it was a lot, lot louder, and if tended to spit back when starting, which killed the starter motor clutch, a new one was 400,.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 12 in 8 posts

Well I don't want anything much louder especially if there is no difference in engine responsiveness/horsepower. Do you think a larger main jet would increase it's power? I know it's only a single cylinder but I feel like with 5 more horsepower it would be perfect. I certainly don't want a 400 bill, I don't think I've spent that much on it in one go so far.

Go Back to Forum My Forum