TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: Helmets with real "double glazed" Visors: do they exist?

A Bit Bored
    Liked 2 in 2 posts

Unhappy Helmets with real "double glazed" Visors: do they exist?

Good day everyone,

I am thinking of possibly upgrading from my actually good, but not exceptional Caberg. The Caberg has a Pinlock system which, whilst a great improvement on what I had before ( = nothing) is not free from small problems: when I wash the visor, at times water enters into it because it is difficult to have the perfect "sit", then I have to dismount the system, clean everything and mount it anew, again wasting time to get that "perfect" fit that actually isn't one. I am not good at manual things so everytime I say cuss words for several minutes before I managed to reinstall the visor in the helmet correctly.

So I was wondering if there are any quality helmet producers which have started producing visors with a real "double glazing", as in the windows you have at home (but no glass )?. Something you only need to clean from both sides without worrying about the pinlock not sitting perfectly etc.

On the Internet I find ambiguous statements, for example the brand new Schubert C4 only mentions "integral sun visor" (which I knew) and the picture does not have any trace of pins for the pinlock, but then it does not say it has the "double glazing" and I can't imagine it has no anti-fog system at all because it's so darn expensive.

(can't post the URL from Sportsbikeshop)

Can anyone help?

Thanks

O

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 1,754 in 1,173 posts

Default Re: Helmets with real "double glazed" Visors: do they exist?

Someone (Griffin Clubman? Old gits only need reply) sold one years ago - it was heavy!

The pinlock (fitted as supplied) on my BMW System lid is superb. I never separate the two parts.

Liked 2,908 in 1,602 posts

The Pinlock on my Arai (fitted by me) is brilliant. Having the option on tints etc is much more handy than a full double glaze IMO too.

Integral sun visors are drop down tinted visors are separate to your main visor, nothing to do with double glazing - see C4 below

Liked 402 in 246 posts

How do you manage to get water in it when you clean it? Are you running it under the tap? Or putting it in the dishwasher?

I find a damp tissue is enough to clean my visors.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 2 in 2 posts

I run it under the tap. However, I seem to notice that the pinlock part never really "closes", I am therefore not surprised that water gets in so easily.

I am encouraged at reading that higher quality visors seem to work better. It's not that I am an enemy of the pinlock itself, but whenever I take it out I tend to inadvertently touch it the wrong way, then I leave a fingerprint, then I have to do it again etc...

Liked 1,100 in 701 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Omobono View Post
    I run it under the tap. However, I seem to notice that the pinlock part never really "closes", I am therefore not surprised that water gets in so easily.

I am encouraged at reading that higher quality visors seem to work better. It's not that I am an enemy of the pinlock itself, but whenever I take it out I tend to inadvertently touch it the wrong way, then I leave a fingerprint, then I have to do it again etc...
    Answer is don't run it under a tap.

Buy some visor cleaner... spray it on the visor, wipe crap off and apply water repellent. Job done.

I only ever rinse visor under tap when doing a full strip and clean.

Constantly messing with the pinlock also weakens the seal.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 2 in 2 posts

Thanks, I understand now I am slowly damaging the thing. I will follow the instructions.

9. The following user liked this post made by Omobono:

Liked 2,908 in 1,602 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Omobono View Post
    but whenever I take it out I tend to inadvertently touch it the wrong way
    Fnaar

I haven't played with mine since I first put it in place

Really Bored
    Liked 409 in 276 posts

Do you know that the two pins that hold the pinlock in place can be adjusted? They are, in effect, cams and can be adjusted to ensure that the pinlock is held firmly in place against the visor. It appears that your "pins" are too tight and the pinlock is being forced away from the visor. There's more detail in this link.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 12 in 11 posts

My daily is a Caberg Duke and the pinlock is brilliant. You need to take extra care to sit it initially (bending the visor whilst its off the helmet) and as another poster mentions, the pins are used to adjust how tight it is. Shame the inner shade fogs anyway

Liked 72 in 51 posts

Years ago I had an adhesive version of a pin lock by some other brand, it was a reactolite affair too, I seem to recall it did me very well but I can't remember what it was called or know if they are still made?

That said I've no complaints with my pinlock set up either

Have used double wall goggles, they resist fogging brilliantly but more prone to 'starbursts' than single skin

Liked 402 in 246 posts

Quote Originally Posted by stickysidedown View Post
    Years ago I had an adhesive version of a pin lock by some other brand, it was a reactolite affair too, I seem to recall it did me very well but I can't remember what it was called or know if they are still made?
    Fog city?

Liked 72 in 51 posts

Sounds about right

Go Back to Forum My Forum