TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "New" bike

Liked 818 in 471 posts

Default Re: "New" bike

Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    My weekend was sadly optimistic and the Arrow is turning out to be a substantial container of wriggly things.

Quite apart from the cosmetics, I've discovered bodged metric fastenings into UNF / UNC threads, prop stand fitted by a retarded gorilla who bent the bracket as he didn't understand how it was supposed to go together despite having Ariel's superb workshop manual. The piston bosses were so worn the gudgeon pins were rattling inside them (apparently this is known as the "death rattle") so a rebore / + .020" pistons is now in progress. I suspect this is why it "wouldn't start" - or rather, why the vendor didn't want it to. Wiring is full of horrible crimped pre-insulated connectors. On close inspection, paintwork & chrome far worse than my superficial check showed.

It's my own fault as I'd sold it to myself on the basis of the photos, and after a 3 hour drive persuaded myself it was OK. Still, there are good bits.......

Yup - that's classic bike ownership!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
  3. The following user liked this post made by RiceBurner:

Liked 137 in 81 posts

I know.......

I was misled by the fact that the vendor seemed like a nice chap and had a very pretty Velo Viper in his garage which I assumed he'd rebuilt. I suspect either (a) he'd bought it like that or (b) it was as bad on close inspection as the Ariel.

At the end of the day, Arrow parts are relatively cheap and widely available and they're very simple beasts to work on so I'm not too dismayed. I'll aim to get a well functioning machine and not worry too much about the cosmetics at this stage.

5. The following user liked this post made by iansoady:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 1,666 in 1,004 posts

My weekend was sadly optimistic and the Arrow is turning out to be a substantial container of wriggly things.

Quite apart from the cosmetics, I've discovered bodged metric fastenings into UNF / UNC threads, prop stand fitted by a retarded gorilla who bent the bracket as he didn't understand how it was supposed to go together despite having Ariel's superb workshop manual. The piston bosses were so worn the gudgeon pins were rattling inside them (apparently this is known as the "death rattle") so a rebore / + .020" pistons is now in progress. I suspect this is why it "wouldn't start" - or rather, why the vendor didn't want it to. Wiring is full of horrible crimped pre-insulated connectors. On close inspection, paintwork & chrome far worse than my superficial check showed.

It's my own fault as I'd sold it to myself on the basis of the photos, and after a 3 hour drive persuaded myself it was OK. Still, there are good bits.......
    Sounds like my Kawasaki when I bought it

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Really Bored
    Liked 409 in 276 posts

Yay! Another rebuild thread in the offing.

Liked 137 in 81 posts

Possibly not......

Really Bored
    Liked 409 in 276 posts

Possibly not......
    Oh, go on. You know you want to.

Liked 137 in 81 posts

I think I've had my 15 minutes of fame.

TBH it's all the taking of photos that puts me off especially when I'm elbow deep in the thing. I will however report when it's all up & running.

Really Bored
    Liked 409 in 276 posts

I think I've had my 15 minutes of fame.

TBH it's all the taking of photos that puts me off especially when I'm elbow deep in the thing. I will however report when it's all up & running.
    Good man. We can't really ask for anything else.

Good luck with the fettling.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 950 in 621 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
    Good man. We can't really ask for anything else.
    Rubbish! We can ask for as much as we want. Whether or not Ian provides anything is a totally different thing.

Really Bored
    Liked 409 in 276 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Breaker View Post
    Rubbish! We can ask for as much as we want. Whether or not Ian provides anything is a totally different thing.
    You sound like my big sisters!

At Work
    Liked 385 in 283 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Good excuse to post a pic of their 'K' series tourer

If only....

Liked 137 in 81 posts

Indeed, seen it many times.
    One thing that amused me at the NMM was that their restored Golden Arrow had handlebar levers with the wrong pivot distance, making an already marginal front brake even less effective.

But currently work on the Arrow is taking a break as am I in the Auvergne!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Go Back to Forum My Forum