TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 114

Thread: "New" bike

  1. #31
    Should Get Out More RiceBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your blind spot...
    Posts
    14,096
    Like
    2,353
    Liked 1,000 in 572 posts

    Default Re: "New" bike


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    My weekend was sadly optimistic and the Arrow is turning out to be a substantial container of wriggly things.

    Quite apart from the cosmetics, I've discovered bodged metric fastenings into UNF / UNC threads, prop stand fitted by a retarded gorilla who bent the bracket as he didn't understand how it was supposed to go together despite having Ariel's superb workshop manual. The piston bosses were so worn the gudgeon pins were rattling inside them (apparently this is known as the "death rattle") so a rebore / + .020" pistons is now in progress. I suspect this is why it "wouldn't start" - or rather, why the vendor didn't want it to. Wiring is full of horrible crimped pre-insulated connectors. On close inspection, paintwork & chrome far worse than my superficial check showed.

    It's my own fault as I'd sold it to myself on the basis of the photos, and after a 3 hour drive persuaded myself it was OK. Still, there are good bits.......

    Yup - that's classic bike ownership!


  2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
  3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by RiceBurner:


  4. #32
    At Work iansoady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    88
    Liked 230 in 125 posts

    Default Re: "New" bike

    I know.......

    I was misled by the fact that the vendor seemed like a nice chap and had a very pretty Velo Viper in his garage which I assumed he'd rebuilt. I suspect either (a) he'd bought it like that or (b) it was as bad on close inspection as the Ariel.

    At the end of the day, Arrow parts are relatively cheap and widely available and they're very simple beasts to work on so I'm not too dismayed. I'll aim to get a well functioning machine and not worry too much about the cosmetics at this stage.

  5. The following user liked this post made by iansoady:


  6. #33
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nearly at the dawn of Britain
    Posts
    13,073
    Like
    722
    Liked 2,128 in 1,274 posts

    Default Re: "New" bike

    Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    My weekend was sadly optimistic and the Arrow is turning out to be a substantial container of wriggly things.

    Quite apart from the cosmetics, I've discovered bodged metric fastenings into UNF / UNC threads, prop stand fitted by a retarded gorilla who bent the bracket as he didn't understand how it was supposed to go together despite having Ariel's superb workshop manual. The piston bosses were so worn the gudgeon pins were rattling inside them (apparently this is known as the "death rattle") so a rebore / + .020" pistons is now in progress. I suspect this is why it "wouldn't start" - or rather, why the vendor didn't want it to. Wiring is full of horrible crimped pre-insulated connectors. On close inspection, paintwork & chrome far worse than my superficial check showed.

    It's my own fault as I'd sold it to myself on the basis of the photos, and after a 3 hour drive persuaded myself it was OK. Still, there are good bits.......
    Sounds like my Kawasaki when I bought it

    Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

  7. #34
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,396
    Like
    345
    Liked 543 in 374 posts

    Default Re: "New" bike

    Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    My weekend was sadly optimistic and the Arrow is turning out to be a substantial container of wriggly things.

    Quite apart from the cosmetics, I've discovered bodged metric fastenings into UNF / UNC threads, prop stand fitted by a retarded gorilla who bent the bracket as he didn't understand how it was supposed to go together despite having Ariel's superb workshop manual. The piston bosses were so worn the gudgeon pins were rattling inside them (apparently this is known as the "death rattle") so a rebore / + .020" pistons is now in progress. I suspect this is why it "wouldn't start" - or rather, why the vendor didn't want it to. Wiring is full of horrible crimped pre-insulated connectors. On close inspection, paintwork & chrome far worse than my superficial check showed.

    It's my own fault as I'd sold it to myself on the basis of the photos, and after a 3 hour drive persuaded myself it was OK. Still, there are good bits.......
    Yay! Another rebuild thread in the offing.

  8. #35
    At Work iansoady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    88
    Liked 230 in 125 posts

    Default Re: "New" bike

    Possibly not......

  9. #36
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,396
    Like
    345
    Liked 543 in 374 posts

    Default Re: "New" bike

    Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    Possibly not......
    Oh, go on. You know you want to.

  10. #37
    At Work iansoady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    88
    Liked 230 in 125 posts

    Default Re: "New" bike

    I think I've had my 15 minutes of fame.

    TBH it's all the taking of photos that puts me off especially when I'm elbow deep in the thing. I will however report when it's all up & running.

  11. #38
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,396
    Like
    345
    Liked 543 in 374 posts

    Default Re: "New" bike

    Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    I think I've had my 15 minutes of fame.

    TBH it's all the taking of photos that puts me off especially when I'm elbow deep in the thing. I will however report when it's all up & running.
    Good man. We can't really ask for anything else.

    Good luck with the fettling.

  12. #39
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    6,628
    Like
    29
    Liked 1,242 in 800 posts

    Default Re: "New" bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
    Good man. We can't really ask for anything else.
    Rubbish! We can ask for as much as we want. Whether or not Ian provides anything is a totally different thing.

  13. #40
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,396
    Like
    345
    Liked 543 in 374 posts

    Default Re: "New" bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Breaker View Post
    Rubbish! We can ask for as much as we want. Whether or not Ian provides anything is a totally different thing.
    You sound like my big sisters!

  14. #41
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Llanafan & Holland
    Posts
    2,503
    Like
    30
    Liked 559 in 404 posts

    Default Re: "New" bike

    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Good excuse to post a pic of their 'K' series tourer



    If only....

  15. #42
    At Work iansoady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    88
    Liked 230 in 125 posts

    Default Re: "New" bike

    Indeed, seen it many times.
    One thing that amused me at the NMM was that their restored Golden Arrow had handlebar levers with the wrong pivot distance, making an already marginal front brake even less effective.

    But currently work on the Arrow is taking a break as am I in the Auvergne!

  16. #43
    At Work iansoady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    88
    Liked 230 in 125 posts

    Default Ring - a - ding!!

    After far more work than I anticipated, finally got the Arrow up and running. Started second kick (after a couple of priming prods) and everything seems to work as it should, even the idiosyncratic charging system - bar the front brake which is a tad on the useless side of feeble. I do understand that they were never brilliant and I didn't reline it although I think I need to.

    A few more bits and bobs to tidy up before I'm off for an MoT, hopefully next week.

    Ah, the sweet smell of burning 2-stroke oil in the morning......

    And the Super Four will be appearing on an auction site near you next week. Plus ça change.....

  17. #44
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    14,553
    Like
    352
    Liked 5,734 in 3,299 posts

    Default Re: Ring - a - ding!!

    I was reading an article the other day about poor single leading shoe drum brakes and how cutting and chamfering the shoe lining material can give massive improvements, something you've come across?

  18. #45
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    6,628
    Like
    29
    Liked 1,242 in 800 posts

    Default Re: Ring - a - ding!!

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    I was reading an article the other day about poor single leading shoe drum brakes and how cutting and chamfering the shoe lining material can give massive improvements, something you've come across?
    I chamfered mine on the little Matchless because it would snatch, especially when wet and particularly when the operator erred. Don't ask me how I know this. The shoes mainly touch on the end where the expander fits but hardly at all at the pivot so you're right, they can be filed down until the lining touches along the whole of the shoe at the same time, so having more friction surface for stopping.

  19. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Bike Breaker:


Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum