TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Route help

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,801 in 1,703 posts

Default Route help

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    So a few of us are planning a Euro trip, 6 days is what we have and we have some places to visit that we need to link up using the best roads.

The places are Nurburgring, Ktm factory Austria, Grimsel pass and Aletschgletscher glacier Switzerland.

Any passes or roads we should be taking in ?, anyone been up to the glacier and how close can you get on 2 wheels, read one report of a trail that leads up there from kuhboden but prefer tarmac.

I do recall reading of some small tunnels in the same area similar to the parpailon tunnels in France does anyone know of these, a bike apparently does fit through them.....vague I know but it's all memory from a report I read 8 years ago lol

Any more places, ideas etc and with only 6 days I assume we'll have to hit the motorways some of the time so best options there too

ta

Liked 33 in 29 posts

Default Re: Route help

I hate to be negative but that's some mileage for 6 days.

But than I'm ancient. Personally I'd forget Switzerland and enjoy German/Austria.

The area around The Ring is spectacular and surely you need to do The Ring. Nearby Cocham is a popular biker visit and good as it gets for a cute German town.

There is a motor museum at Hockenheim which is more or less on your route, not been but looks good on the net.

Don't forget that you need road passes for Switzerland and Austria if you use their motorways, check now.

At Work
    Liked 636 in 369 posts

I'm in Switzerland in June. My route takes in the Susten, Grimsel, Nufenen, Furka and Splugen passes. They're all relatively close together so you may want to add a few together.

4. The following user liked this post made by Timmy:

Liked 1,603 in 709 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    I'm in Switzerland in June. My route takes in the Susten, Grimsel, Nufenen, Furka and Splugen passes. They're all relatively close together so you may want to add a few together.
    Nice- guessing you have you probably left now Tim?

We had to can the eastern european plan for this year but are doing a couple of days through Switzerland next week- we cross the channel this coming Saturday morning, chuck the bikes on the train in Paris down to the south,have a day ragging round there, couple of days in northern Italy (inc a Ducati factory tour) and then on via Jaufen / Stelvio / Fluela / San Bernadino / Furka, up through Germany , and spending our final night on the piss in Bruges before tunnel home again.
    Cant wait

6. The following user liked this post made by TrickyDicky:

Liked 2,859 in 2,046 posts

Any of you know how expensive Switzerland is compared to say Germany? Spending a night at Lake Constance but yet to book the campsite. Few nice looking cheap ones on the North, German side of the lake who wont book in advance. If i find a Swiss one that does let me book then i may stay on that side. Whats the Average meal and a few beer for two?

At Work
    Liked 636 in 369 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
    Nice- guessing you have you probably left now Tim?

We had to can the eastern european plan for this year but are doing a couple of days through Switzerland next week- we cross the channel this coming Saturday morning, chuck the bikes on the train in Paris down to the south,have a day ragging round there, couple of days in northern Italy (inc a Ducati factory tour) and then on via Jaufen / Stelvio / Fluela / San Bernadino / Furka, up through Germany , and spending our final night on the piss in Bruges before tunnel home again.
    Cant wait
    I'm back We did 11 passes in total, Fluela, Grimsel, Susten, Furka, Julier, Nufenen, Splugen, Maloga, Oberalp, Wolfgang and Gottard. Was a lot of riding but all worth it. Weather was pretty much perfect apart from at the very start of the B500.

Enjoy your trip. If you've booked a time for the Ducati museum, don't be late. The fuckers won't let you in otherwise. And the weekend is Ducati Owners Club only (or it used to be)

Edit: Try and go through Luxembourg, I thought it had some cracking roads

9. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Timmy:

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 3,017 in 2,048 posts

I'm back We did 11 passes in total, Fluela, Grimsel, Susten, Furka, Julier, Nufenen, Splugen, Maloga, Oberalp, Wolfgang and Gottard. Was a lot of riding but all worth it. Weather was pretty much perfect apart from at the very start of the B500.

Enjoy your trip. If you've booked a time for the Ducati museum, don't be late. The fuckers won't let you in otherwise. And the weekend is Ducati Owners Club only (or it used to be)

Let's hope the weather next week is good - I'm off to Switzerland too, staying in Grindelwald, so quite a few of those passes will be on my doorstep. I've done the B500, from the French to the Swiss Borders. Cracking road!

11. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Cousin Jack:

Liked 1,603 in 709 posts

Excellent, cheers yeah we're booked in (to my amazement - I'd given up on it as itwas 4 weeks before I got a response) and will do- I love these trips , don't even care if it pisses down ( it won't )

13. The following user liked this post made by TrickyDicky:

Liked 1,297 in 821 posts

11 tshirts?

15. The following 2 users liked this useful post by daven:

At Work
    Liked 636 in 369 posts

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    11 tshirts?
    Yep, had them all on at the same time. Had to leave my jacket behind.

17. The following user liked this post made by Timmy:

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 3,017 in 2,048 posts

Yep, had them all on at the same time. Had to leave my jacket behind.
    I hope they were all CE approved.

19. The following user liked this post made by Cousin Jack:

Not Much To Do
    Liked 313 in 194 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    Any of you know how expensive Switzerland is compared to say Germany? Spending a night at Lake Constance but yet to book the campsite. Few nice looking cheap ones on the North, German side of the lake who wont book in advance. If i find a Swiss one that does let me book then i may stay on that side. Whats the Average meal and a few beer for two?
    Price of Swiss currency is a bit of a pain. I would expect to pay IRO Euro 3.90 for a large (0.5 litre) draft lager in Germany or Austria, or maybe 4.40 if the bar is a bit more swish, and around 50% more in Switzerland, with other stuff also coming up at 50% pricier than southern Germany or even more. Konstanz is lovely, as is Bregenz (the town on the Austrian part of the shore of Bodensee). Surely you can find something on booking.com... failing that call the local tourist office. They operate as a kind of bureau for B&B in Germany etc.--that is where the tourist tax you pay in the hotel goes.

Italy is not cheap, but that is for other reasons (they don't advertise the real prices, only the rip-off prices: speak the local dialect and there is an automatic discount in may places).

21. The following user liked this post made by John B:

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Price of Swiss currency is a bit of a pain. I would expect to pay IRO Euro 3.90 for a large (0.5 litre) draft lager in Germany or Austria, or maybe 4.40 if the bar is a bit more swish, and around 50% more in Switzerland, with other stuff also coming up at 50% pricier than southern Germany or even more. Konstanz is lovely, as is Bregenz (the town on the Austrian part of the shore of Bodensee). Surely you can find something on booking.com... failing that call the local tourist office. They operate as a kind of bureau for B&B in Germany etc.--that is where the tourist tax you pay in the hotel goes.

Italy is not cheap, but that is for other reasons (they don't advertise the real prices, only the rip-off prices: speak the local dialect and there is an automatic discount in may places).
    Cheers. None of the sites i have tried to book will take booking more that two weeks in advance so its either a busy period or they are thinking if its dead they will shut for the season early. Some sites in Switzerland so far wont allow the dog. One said its as they have a pool yet dogs are allowed in the restaurant.

At Work
    Liked 636 in 369 posts

Europe is an odd place. One of the Swiss hotels I stayed in was particularly odd. There didn't seem to be any breakfast on offer in the restaurant bit so I asked where it was. The old lady owner said "oh, we don't do breakfast anymore, we used to but not now. We stopped when we became a bed and breakfast"

Europe is an odd place. One of the Swiss hotels I stayed in was particularly odd. There didn't seem to be any breakfast on offer in the restaurant bit so I asked where it was. The old lady owner said "oh, we don't do breakfast anymore, we used to but not now. We stopped when we became a bed and breakfast"
    The Corn Flakes are crap in Euro land anyway.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission