TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars

Liked 1,613 in 942 posts

Default Re: Electric cars

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Lots of electric cars in Norway. And LOTS of infrastructure available to support them.

Whereas our local Asda has had 3 charging bays for well over 12 months now. They are coned off, and AFAIK have never worked, I have certainly never seen them connected to a car. They do however have some pretty blue LEDs on the posts.

chicken and egg ain't it.

Most people won't buy an EV until the chargers are in place,
    Most companies won't install chargers until the people buy enough EVs.

At least the charging network is continuing to expand.

Liked 1,592 in 747 posts

Lots of electric cars in Norway. And LOTS of infrastructure available to support them.

Whereas our local Asda has had 3 charging bays for well over 12 months now. They are coned off, and AFAIK have never worked, I have certainly never seen them connected to a car. They do however have some pretty blue LEDs on the posts.
    Sales of EVs in the UK. are growing year in year and there’s is loads of infrastructure if you bother to look ..( there are apps for that) ...especially when for most people, most of the time a home charger will be all they require ..

those that hat don’t want or like EVs will always find excuses not to own one ..until they are the only choice then they will quickly overcome their reservation ..

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 3,130 in 2,129 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    Sales of EVs in the UK. are growing year in year and there’s is loads of infrastructure if you bother to look ..( there are apps for that) ...especially when for most people, most of the time a home charger will be all they require ..

those that hat don’t want or like EVs will always find excuses not to own one ..until they are the only choice then they will quickly overcome their reservation ..
    As one of those who cannot easily have a home charger (no garage, no driveway, parking spaces remote from my house), and who regularly exceed the current range of most EVs, I will be one of the last. My hybrid will do nicely thank you.

Liked 1,592 in 747 posts

As one of those who cannot easily have a home charger (no garage, no driveway, parking spaces remote from my house), and who regularly exceed the current range of most EVs, I will be one of the last. My hybrid will do nicely thank you.
    Seems fair enough ..it’s those that commute less than 20 miles each way and rarely travel outside their home county that slag off the lack of range that get my goat ...

Liked 2,620 in 1,625 posts

Given the appalling congestion on the roads - going to get worse - I see no reason why we shouldn’t bring back into being the old electric milk floats. They seemed to go on all day. What technology did they use?

An aside. I wonder how many cashed in on the doubling of Tesla shares?

Liked 2,699 in 1,768 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    Given the appalling congestion on the roads - going to get worse - I see no reason why we shouldn’t bring back into being the old electric milk floats. They seemed to go on all day. What technology did they use?

An aside. I wonder how many cashed in on the doubling of Tesla shares?
    Who ever got milk delivered in the afternoon?

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,815 in 2,349 posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    It was yoghurt by then.

Liked 2,620 in 1,625 posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    The woman whose husband was on the 2 ‘til 10 shift.

lol at Julian.

Liked 5,275 in 3,539 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    ...itís those that commute less than 20 miles each way and rarely travel outside their home county that slag off the lack of range that get my goat ...
    How often is "rarely"? And how are they supposed to make those "rare" journeys?

If they need a car to take them 20 miles a day to work and back and take them to the other end of the country once every 6 months, why should they not be concerned about the lack of range?

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,827 in 1,719 posts

It’s quite possible to run an EV now and be happy with it. A mindset change is required when planning a journey though especially if it’s one that requires a charge. People will also have to accept you don’t buy an EV to save money, yes the fuel is cheaper but the purchase price isn’t. But a huge majority of people could run one now if they could afford the purchase price. The problem will come when the govt starts to heavily tax fuel to get the last of the ice cars off the road, this will hit those that can least afford to run a car as the only real way to buy an EV is on lease or finance. The days of the £2000 car will be gone and if you don’t earn enough or can’t get finance you’ll be off the road.
    As for infrastructure there are loads of points out there already, last year alone as a small company we put in 250 commercial points and this year alone we’ve done 20 and quoted for well over 100 since 1st Jan. They are going in at a very quick rate.

11. The following 2 users liked this useful post by couchcommando:

Liked 1,475 in 1,043 posts

Quote Originally Posted by couchcommando View Post
    ..........can least afford to run a car as the only real way to buy an EV is on lease or finance. The days of the £2000 car will be gone and if you don’t earn enough or can’t get finance you’ll be off the road....
    Off the road, then out of a job and out of a home. Suicide rates will rise and there'll be civil war.

Liked 3,725 in 2,467 posts

Pricing of road travel is going to have to go through radical changes.

Simply increasing duty on fuel for ICE vehicles won't be enough to raise funds for the government. Road pricing is likely to be brought in for all vehicles. Potentially varied by time of day too.

Liked 1,592 in 747 posts

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    How often is "rarely"? And how are they supposed to make those "rare" journeys?

If they need a car to take them 20 miles a day to work and back and take them to the other end of the country once every 6 months, why should they not be concerned about the lack of range?
    Hire car? Train? Aircraft? Or simply put a bit of effort into planning your route with allowance for charging times When ICE vehicles are banned you will find a way ...

Liked 1,475 in 1,043 posts

There's got to be a way similar to now. People still need to get to work for the economy to survive and for people to be able to survive. Not everyone can use public transport to get to work.

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 3,130 in 2,129 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    There's got to be a way similar to now. People still need to get to work for the economy to survive and for people to be able to survive. Not everyone can use public transport to get to work.
    Out in the sticks many people have no bus or train service within miles. In slightly less remote areas the bus service is one bus a day, often on only 1 or 2 days per week, none of them suitable for commuting to work. Many people in this sort of environment rely on cars with a value measured in £00s, rather than £000s.

Any government that tries to tax IC fuel out of existence without putting some economically valid alternatives in place will fall at the next election

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission