TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket drill batteries

Liked 2,916 in 1,551 posts

Default Aftermarket drill batteries

My dewalt cordless drill is getting on for 5 years old and the batteries are getting very sluggish. New ones are 60. Aftermarket ones are widely available at a third of that.
    So
    1 buy dewalt original replacement battery
    2 buy aftermarket battery
    3 upgrade to newer drill with better battery?

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Liked 1,898 in 1,140 posts

Default Re: Aftermarket drill batteries

I had a similar dilemma and ended up going for a new drill with a lithium ion battery, my old one was the previus technology, NiMH or something.

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    The largest and happiest city in England...
    Liked 1,178 in 722 posts

I've had good luck with aftermarket batteries but if you go into Youtube there's a bloke calling himself AVE who takes things to bits to see whats in them and he points out that the cells don't always have the same over charcging protection and the like.

In short, Ive had good ones and they didn't burn my house down but when lithium ion batteries catch fire they fairly bloody go up.

5. The following user liked this post made by demographic:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,305 in 1,370 posts
    Blog Entries

Maybe a fourth option: Buy another identical drill and then you have new batteries that fit both drills and two drills. Saves swapping bit all the time, eg when having to drill pilot holes before you screw something together.

I've generally gone for aftermarket batteries and haven't been disappointed yet. Annoyingly it's usually cheaper just to buy a new drill but my hatred of waste means I didn't do that.

Liked 2,900 in 1,460 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Maybe a fourth option: Buy another identical drill and then you have new batteries that fit both drills and two drills. Saves swapping bit all the time, eg when having to drill pilot holes before you screw something together.

I've generally gone for aftermarket batteries and haven't been disappointed yet. Annoyingly it's usually cheaper just to buy a new drill but my hatred of waste means I didn't do that.
    I did this, but ended up with a good number of Bosch drills/saws/stuff that now has old tech batteries so I cant use any of them..

Liked 2,916 in 1,551 posts

It's just really annoying as the drill is magnificent but seems to have a limited lifespan by virtue of the, bespoke, power supply.
    Of course they could make a universal connection method for power supplies but that wouldn't shift as much kit.

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    The largest and happiest city in England...
    Liked 1,178 in 722 posts

There are converters/adapters for De-Walts that allow you to use the modern slide in batteries with the older push in tools.

Never used one but they do exist.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 2,850 in 1,849 posts

An explody 18650 will fuck up your day, let alone a dozen of em.

Should Get Out More
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chillitt View Post
    I did this, but ended up with a good number of Bosch drills/saws/stuff that now has old tech batteries so I cant use any of them..

I might have ended up with half a dozen 9.6v Makita tools because of this. I sold them on Ebay and got reasonable money for them when I changed to Makita 10.8v tools.

Also, IME, NiCad batteries were better value for money compared to similar capacity NiMH. You can't take them out of the charger part charged and use them without compromising them but I'm not in the habit of doing that. Any excuse for another cup of tea.

Liked 5,384 in 3,205 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post

Or buy original, they'll last longer. And for 40 I don't think I'd take the chance on burning the house down or having to deal with a melting or exploding battery.

Should Get Out More
    Blog Entries

My ropey memory says I got about 6 years out of a 9.6v battery, either genuine of aftermarket, NiCad or NiMH Yet another thing I number and date.

Too early to tell with the Makita 10.8v ones. I did have a Bosch 10.8v multitool and one battery failed after three years, prompting me to sell the thing before the other battery failed. Also it gets used enough that I wanted a mains one.

Liked 874 in 542 posts

on a related note, does anyone know if there's any issues charging Nimh batteries in NiCad chargers? I have an couple of NiCad drills, theres replacement batteries available to fit, but only in Nimh, or maybe lithium types.

Liked 724 in 370 posts

No ad cells take a much higher charging rate than Ni-hi's can. The Nihi can burst, the IRA used them as caps for a while, hence they put fuses in them which means reduced charging current. So the short answer is while a Nicad can take 4 amps and Nihi should be around 1.

In a previous career I was put through all the cell safety training by Sanyo. We got to blow cells up. Also, Nicads are fine to part charge etc. The memory stuff isn't true, they are just all at different capacity so when in a pack when you part use and then charge then run down you can reverse the polarity of one cell which impacts the pack.

16. The following user liked this post made by fingerpuk:

Liked 2,212 in 1,603 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleStudPony View Post
    I had a similar dilemma and ended up going for a new drill with a lithium ion battery, my old one was the previus technology, NiMH or something.
    ^^^ This is what i did also but hung about for a sale. Got a nice Bosch 18v with two battery's for around 70 quid. I was in B&Q teh other day, i am sure i seen DeWalt on offer, 100 quid i think it was but never looked that close to see how many battery's.

Liked 456 in 268 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reburner View Post
    My dewalt cordless drill is getting on for 5 years old and the batteries are getting very sluggish. New ones are 60.
    christ, that's spendy. I have the 18v Dewalt batteries & they both crapped out the same week. New ones are $38 each.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum