TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Anone some experience of recent Acers? Particularly the V15s please?

Liked 1,204 in 841 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Anone some experience of recent Acers? Particularly the V15s please?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Specifically this one, although if you can do better for the dosh (or go up a bit if you can find one much the same but with a 17" screen) please feel free to suggest. But it does need to look & feel quality, esp keyboard action.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/series/aspirev15

I did have my hands on an older V15 a year & half ago-liked it a lot. But no idea how they'd fare long term. Very unlikely to be taken anywhere except between desks at home. Almost certainly going to spend half of it's life plugged into a big external monitor, which I'll ask about if she gets something.

It's back to our Mam again. Needs to kick a decent macbook pro into touch, but look & feel good.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 821 in 516 posts

Default Re: Anone some experience of recent Acers? Particularly the V15s please?

We've always found Acers' good value for money.
    Have 2 V5s we've had for about 2 years now, mostly used by my sons but also my wife.
    Keyboards have been good, rather than top-notch.
    Although they seem well-enough built they do seem to age quite a bit faster than the Panasonics and Dells we have.

4. The following user liked this post made by Kneerly Down:

Liked 1,204 in 841 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anone some experience of recent Acers? Particularly the V15s please?

Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    and Dells we have.
    thank you very much indeed. Along the way I've just found the below which will suit her much better:
    http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17...hs#AnchorZone6

Liked 346 in 233 posts

I've two acers (although I appreciate you're now looking at Dells) but am on a HP Sound+ Pavilion that I've had for 3 years. Still very happy with it

Liked 5,033 in 2,909 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    thank you very much indeed. Along the way I've just found the below which will suit her much better:
    http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17...hs#AnchorZone6
    Have you had a look at the Dell Outlet?

8. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 2,328 in 1,685 posts

The one i have has an annoying click on the mouse/touchpad buttons and i also hate how laptops have the touchad more to the left now. More noticeable on laptops with number pads on the right. When my Dell dies i would have to try before i buy rather than jumping in and buying online.

Liked 1,204 in 841 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Have you had a look at the Dell Outlet?
    briefly. Knowing our mam she would prefer it new esp with that John Lewis guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    The one i have has an annoying click on the mouse/touchpad buttons and i also hate how laptops have the touchad more to the left now. More noticeable on laptops with number pads on the right. When my Dell dies i would have to try before i buy rather than jumping in and buying online.
    Academic-she hates any of that & always uses a mouse.

Cheers all

Liked 2,328 in 1,685 posts

Academic-she hates any of that & always uses a mouse.

Cheers all
    Lol so did i when touch pads came out. I liked the little nipple in the middle of a keyboard.

Liked 910 in 657 posts

Specifically this one, although if you can do better for the dosh (or go up a bit if you can find one much the same but with a 17" screen) please feel free to suggest. But it does need to look & feel quality, esp keyboard action.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/series/aspirev15

I did have my hands on an older V15 a year & half ago-liked it a lot. But no idea how they'd fare long term. Very unlikely to be taken anywhere except between desks at home. Almost certainly going to spend half of it's life plugged into a big external monitor, which I'll ask about if she gets something.

It's back to our Mam again. Needs to kick a decent macbook pro into touch, but look & feel good.
    I'm using a V3 now, it's almost 5 years old and still works really well. It's an i7 with 8GB RAM and with an SSD I'd struggle to notice the difference between it and a brand new one.

13. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Mussels:

Liked 1,532 in 956 posts
    Blog Entries

You're not going to use that Acer for actual gaming, are you? If so, you're probably wasting money and should take a different route - you're only going to get mediocre performance out the mobile version of the GTX950 and the single core performance of the processor is under par for gaming (be fine for office and browsing). If no gaming, maybe save yourself some money getting something lower specced graphics wise but with as or better CPU.

Remember, if your majority use is going to be stationary plugged into a monitor, then a wireless (or wired) keyboard and mouse may well be a good addition (I fooking hate laptop keyboards), making laptop's own keyboard less of a concern when buying.

Ed, do you ever look at cpu benchmark comparison sites? Need to be careful with lappies that the processor you get has the right bang for buck when pricing up different systems. The different processors can vary quite widely in performance on laptops, despite having similar names and sometimes the processor's grunt doesn't match the quality of the rest of the machine's components. Pay attention to single core performance.

So I recommend using this site for easy to read/understand CPU vs CPU comparisons ("compare" button at top of screen) :

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...-Core-i5-6200U

I already set that one up for comparison with another common i5 processor in laptops. The HQ seems to be the better one in terms of bang for buck.

Here's a link to ebuyer for that V15 in case you hadn't seen. 619:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/757795-acer-as...p-nx-g66ek-004

15. The following user liked this post made by Pax:

Go Back to Forum My Forum