TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Tell me about the S4RS

Liked 3,273 in 1,771 posts

Default Re: Tell me about the S4RS

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Try not to break the toes on your left foot first time you ride it
    Right foot, one up, three down.
    I'll just have to say that a few million times until I remember.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 1,761 in 894 posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    I think I've found my bike.
    No money has exchanged hands and it's all subject to the bike being as described, but I've had a lovely chat with the fella that's selling it and he's a really nice bloke, very genuine and a proper enthusiast. He's owned the bike for about 30yrs, it's all original and I did a quick background check on it and it all ties up with his description.
    Most importantly, it feels right

I really hope this works out, there is no rush, there is no hard sell, no grabbing at cash and after 30yrs of ownership I really don't think he wants to sell it as much as I want to buy it, so it all feels rather relaxed. It will either be, or it won't be, although I think we reached an agreement.

I don't have a proper decent quality picture of it yet, but it looks like this...(except the red is more maroon, not bright like that one and there is no red on the wheels)

For those that know the bikes, it's the A7 plunger, with the new motor (497cc not the 495cc).
    It's 65yrs old.

It sounds like this (although this a rigid frame so it isn't the actual one either)...

Spoiler
    That is lush. Really really lush Hope it works out for you and you enjoy it!

Liked 4,370 in 2,536 posts

Right foot, one up, three down.
    I'll just have to say that a few million times until I remember.
    I only rode my old man's A65 once, that was enough for me.

Apart from the gear change being on the wrong side (or as he insisted, the right side), the most disturbing thing was the brakes, they were shockingly bad compared to modern bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    I only rode my old man's A65 once, that was enough for me.

Apart from the gear change being on the wrong side (or as he insisted, the right side), the most disturbing thing was the brakes, they were shockingly bad compared to modern bikes.
    I think that's fairly common, but you have to want it for what it is.
    That's exactly why I want one, I wouldn't buy the exact same bike if it was made today and was as good at everything as a modern bike.

It's not like I want it to be rubbish, but you climb aboard with a very different mindset to riding anything modern.
    I'm sure it's part fantasy but I have visions of pootling along to Devils Bridge, the long way through the B lanes, listening to those exhausts burbling away and then buying an ice-cream and just staring at the bike with a big grin.

6. The following user liked this post made by icarus1859:

Liked 1,883 in 1,022 posts

That's exactly why I want one, I wouldn't buy the exact same bike if it was made today and was as good at everything as a modern bike.

It's not like I want it to be rubbish, but you climb aboard with a very different mindset to riding anything modern.
    I'm sure it's part fantasy but I have visions of pootling along to Devils Bridge, the long way through the B lanes, listening to those exhausts burbling away and then buying an ice-cream and just staring at the bike with a big grin.
    That's pretty much exactly what I said about a Royal Enfield, and the consensus was 'don't buy one'. I might buy one anyway.

8. The following user liked this post made by balbas:

Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    That's pretty much exactly what I said about a Royal Enfield, and the consensus was 'don't buy one'. I might buy one anyway.
    I know, I had the same idea, but it's kind of different, because that's a modern bike, but it's just shit.
    The top of the line old bikes were the cutting edge of their time, so when you ride any older bike you can feel that, even if it's a 1980 350LC, you can feel that in it's day it must have felt like riding a stick of dynamite. A 90mph 1949 BSA must have been like a Panigale in it's day and that still shines through today, as long as you remember what it is.

But the RE is just a really badly made modern motorcycle.

Liked 1,761 in 894 posts

I seriously hope that you get to do that.

I'd love an old bike of that ilk. I see various ones at the cafe quite often and they are just awesome to see on the road. Seeing the 'spec' as was if fab. I'm everso slightly jealous

Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    The old one? Just buy it!! LOL

Liked 4,370 in 2,536 posts

My wife read this book...

http://www.gasolinegypsy.co.uk/

and is now obsessed with BSA Bantams.

I can see one appearing in the garage in the not too distant future.

12. The following 2 users liked this useful post by KungFooBob:

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    I seriously hope that you get to do that.
    Me too.
    I think it's a subconscious desire for a slower pace of life, I'm sure the 1950's wasn't any less stressful or demanding, but I wasn't alive then, so I like to think it was all summers lying in hayfields, drinking homemade lemonade, cider with Rosie and riding around on twins that sounded like Spitfires.
    I reckon I'll be a better person if I can get a few sunny days in riding an old BSA around the country lanes in a tweed jacket and a pair of brogues.

14. The following user liked this post made by icarus1859:

Liked 1,761 in 894 posts

Me too.
    I think it's a subconscious desire for a slower pace of life, I'm sure the 1950's wasn't any less stressful or demanding, but I wasn't alive then, so I like to think it was all summers lying in hayfields, drinking homemade lemonade, cider with Rosie and riding around on twins that sounded like Spitfires.
    I reckon I'll be a better person if I can get a few sunny days in riding an old BSA around the country lanes in a tweed jacket and a pair of brogues.
    We do need photos

Liked 1,061 in 516 posts

Good choice- A7s and 10s won't ever lose you money if bought right. i reckon you'll enjoy it, just make sure you set the manual advance/retard correctly for starting, or you'll get a kick

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    Good choice- A7s and 10s won't ever lose you money if bought right. i reckon you'll enjoy it, just make sure you set the manual advance/retard correctly for starting, or you'll get a kick
    The electrical system is the one thing that I'm stressing about.
    I guarantee I'll forget to retard the ignition and snap my ankle.

Nothings going to happen until next week because the fella is away at the moment, but if the close-up pictures are ok I'll do a deal and pay the man.
    The plan then is to ride it, see what it feels like and if the electrics are a pita then it's going to someone like SRM to fit an alternator and electronic ignition with auto advance/retard. I'm sure the dynamo purists will shit but it's a bike to ride and I don't have fond memories of fettling dynamos at the side of the road to hold me to any nostalgia.
    I think I'll stop short of getting one of Steve McFarlanes electric start kits - but they look brilliant!

Liked 1,061 in 516 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin View Post
    We do need photos
    Hope he looks better than this gurning fool (me)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Go Back to Forum My Forum