TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marital advice please

Liked 1,838 in 1,227 posts

Default Re: Marital advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Gem View Post
    The instructor (male) spotted immediately that the problem was my arms weren't long enough to hold both clutch and throttle as I turned and stuck with me sorting out a solution.
    You don't have to be female to suffer grief like that

My first [physically] big bike was a Honda CX500. I found that U's to the left were easy, but awkward to the right. Solution: loosen the bar clamps, pivot the bars back slightly, then adjust the clutch so it bit closer to the grip. Ideally, you want the biting point to be where you still have some 'bend' in your fingers - and not just the tips!

Since then, pivoting the bars back has been a common 'mod'.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More
    Liked 567 in 344 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gem View Post
    I suspect you may be the exception that proves the rule Spin. The two male instructors I had both had good pass records but hadn't got any stats on gender break down. Having said that I did some training with the BMW school in Wales as I was having real trouble doing U Turns on my bike. The instructor (male) spotted immediately that the problem was my arms weren't long enough to hold both clutch and throttle as I turned and stuck with me sorting out a solution. Involved showing my OH a bike with a fitting which brought the bars a bit closer which he immediately ordered and fitted and now I can do a u turn (though it is a finger tip one!)
    That's exactly the sort of thing I mean... if you read the thread about the lady I trained in Devon just a couple of weeks ago, you'll have noticed that I adjusted her clutch to fit her hands. Neither the other instructors (one of whom was a woman incidentally ) or her hubby had spotted that she couldn't reach the clutch lever at the end of its travel.

Moving the bars closer to the rider is one solution and worth thinking about. Good spot by your trainer there. The alternative (indeed, complimentary) solution is a body movement - if you sit upright as you tip the bike into the corner (counterweighting) it helps, but if you also twist your spine to bring your shoulders back into line with the bars it helps even more.

This is the plus of having ridden quite a few different bikes myself (including some awkward b*ggers!) and having taught over 3000 trainees

4. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 567 in 344 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    You don't have to be female to suffer grief like that

My first [physically] big bike was a Honda CX500. I found that U's to the left were easy, but awkward to the right. Solution: loosen the bar clamps, pivot the bars back slightly, then adjust the clutch so it bit closer to the grip. Ideally, you want the biting point to be where you still have some 'bend' in your fingers - and not just the tips!

Since then, pivoting the bars back has been a common 'mod'.
    I found the trouble with that was that the ends of the bars then started pointing downwards at a more awkward angle for my wrists... one of the nicest-angled bars on any bike I've ever ridden is the CB250RS - they combine the right angle of reverse sweep with the right angle of drop for my wrists... I swapped them onto a couple of other bikes which had straighter bars... I have even thought about fitting them to the XJ6 which I find too straight on a long run.

Liked 1,838 in 1,227 posts

Ah, body position. I make a conscious effort to move forward on the seat - even if only a smidge - as part of the set-up for U's. It makes it everso slightly easier (even if only in my head ).

Liked 3,408 in 2,143 posts
    Blog Entries

The rumours of a trackday instructor who used to love following lady pupils with a nice arse in tight leathers are completely unfounded, mostly.

8. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Yorick:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Go Back to Forum My Forum