TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: What's the best sub 500 laptop to buy

Liked 381 in 262 posts
    Blog Entries

Default What's the best sub 500 laptop to buy

As title really, What's the best windows (non gaming) sub 500 laptop to buy, want big processing and no eternal waiting on start, just fast fast fast (not the dietary kind)

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 381 in 262 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What's the best sub 500 laptop to buy

....and not from that PCWorld antique emporium....C*n*s!

Liked 1,095 in 649 posts
    Blog Entries

Focus on something with SSD drives. You will want at least 8gb RAM and a multicore CPU. Other than that, graphics and audio should be specific chipsets not "built in" IFSWIM

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Makman:

Liked 791 in 600 posts

We are buying HP 450's with 8GB RAM, i3 and SSD for under 500 at the moment.

The i5 is about 80 more i think.

With the SSD the start up time is about 5 secs from cold!

Here you go. Its a generation 3 (gen 4 now) but that's a good price imo:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Processo...ords=hp+450+i5

Liked 1,120 in 776 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Makman View Post
    Focus on something with SSD drives. You will want at least 8gb RAM and a multicore CPU. Other than that, graphics and audio should be specific chipsets not "built in" IFSWIM
    I've been mucking about with RAM amounts quite recently. 8GB is fine-I'm not seeing anything like much of a boost with 16GB in it. OTOH as you have suggested, I am running a SSD. We've an AMD A8 system in the office, no cards. OK, I have left the 16GB in it, but there's nothing that I can throw it at that phases it. We also don't game. SSD is ny new favourite thing**

looked into this last month for our mam. Bang fer yer budget buck (349), seemed to be: https://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-15-b...&source=others

Wait until next year for SSDs to come down a bit, move the 2TB to the DVD slot & install a 250GB as primary.

What ma did get was this. Rather more at 699, but I wanted a macbook pro killer. The deal maker is that this is a 17" screen, i7 & gfx card

https://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-15-b...&source=others

** Which leads to enquire Mr Melons, what are you running atm? Because I'm typing on a crap Sony Vaio running a pentium dual core T2310 at all of 1.4g Ghz, 3GB of ram & blardy vista. However a cheapy SSD has transformed it from getting thrown through the patio window into something acceptable. No way can it do any video editing, but it can run photoshop & 3 browsers up with 25 open tabs in each. Just. It's a completely different beast when I boot it into Mint Linux though.

Liked 30 in 25 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    We are buying HP 450's with 8GB RAM, i3 and SSD for under 500 at the moment.

The i5 is about 80 more i think.

With the SSD the start up time is about 5 secs from cold!

Here you go. Its a generation 3 (gen 4 now) but that's a good price imo:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Processo...ords=hp+450+i5
    I've got the i5 version - pretty sporty for a laptop, very fast on start-up and been reliable so far....

Liked 791 in 600 posts

Quote Originally Posted by V8-Powered View Post
    I've got the i5 version - pretty sporty for a laptop, very fast on start-up and been reliable so far....
    They seem to be built well too, unlike the 250 and 255 series which i have had a fair few issues with.

Liked 381 in 262 posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the replies, but after reading the replies regarding 'personal usage*' I'm wondering if a good tablet may be the evolved way to go. If I do opt for another laptop, it will be ssd.

*Don't work from home anymore so no big spreadsheets or Word/email typing, don't do gaming and light movie watching. Do like having a proper keyboard though

Liked 1,095 in 649 posts
    Blog Entries

bluetooth keyboard will sort that for you with most tablets.

Liked 1,120 in 776 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by melons View Post
    Thanks for the replies, but after reading the replies regarding 'personal usage*' I'm wondering if a good tablet may be the evolved way to go. If I do opt for another laptop, it will be ssd.

Do like having a proper keyboard though
    Friend of mine turned up with a big tablet screened tablet in a folder. He uses it to do demo custom software he sells-modelling & the like. I did think it was an ipad, but I guess it couldn't have been because then it couldn't run said software.

Anyhow the other side of the folder actually has a reasonable actioned membrane type keyboard, rather than touch capacitive.

Several people are making dual devices-laptop where you can pick the screen off it & use it as a tablet. Dunoo anyone with one of those.

For full media toaster experience & writing shopping lists & thank you letters it looks pretty hard to beat an ipad air. But even those are heavy for any prolonged holding.

FWIW we have 3 cheap smaller tablets about the place. Bathroom, bedroom & the oldest is HDMId into the good but dumb big telly. The newest can be chromecasted onto the office TV. Easily the most used is the bathroom one for everyone to check their emails, the weather forecast, news & more often than not a quick peek at FB etc. Otherwise the other 2 really only come into their own when we travel-light enough to tote around a city in a bag & cheap enough that if someone nicked it or you dropped it into a river you wouldn't be that upset. Normally though they just screen whatever we've d/l off the bbc iplayer, or pull things off the NAS.

I use this POS old but SSDed laptop all the time for anything that needs typing. I'd much prefer one with a 17" or even bigger screen.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 2,959 in 1,910 posts

Quote Originally Posted by melons View Post

*Don't work from home anymore so no big spreadsheets or Word/email typing, don't do gaming and light movie watching. Do like having a proper keyboard though
    It's worth considering, I've switched from desktop & laptop for home use to 100% tablet use.
    For sure some sites still suck on tablets (go look @ Tesco Mobile) but for everyday browsing, emailing and video watching they're fine.

To make it worthwhile though and get anything with some longevity I reckon you'll be at the top end of your budget with either an Ipad or Pixel C or one of the Samsung top end ones.

Edit; 100% tablet use is a lie, I still need a desktop to rip CD's.

Go Back to Forum My Forum