TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rider on a 50cc bike - advice please

Really Bored
    Liked 309 in 158 posts

Default New rider on a 50cc bike - advice please

Apologies, I know we get more than a few new rider threads but whenever I use search I get very few results if any - probably user error to be fair.

My 16 year old nephew is looking to get a 50cc motorbike and his mum is asking me for some advice about what he needs to do, costs, appropriate bikes etc. The www.gov.uk website, says (and ISTBC) that to ride a 50cc he'll need to pass his theory test, do a CBT (I was aware of that one) and also sit a practical test - I thought practical tests were for passing on a 125cc upwards?

I know next to nothing about this subject and the bikes that he can legally ride. No idea what their budget is but I know it'll be second hand (probably very second hand). I'm inclined to suggest going for a 50cc motocross style bike so that he can go green laning and also in the hope it will be easier/cheaper to repair and maintain but I welcome your suggestions please.

It's nearly 20 years since I had to consider any of this so I'm not sure I can offer him any practical, getting started advice.

TIA.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Liked 870 in 502 posts

Default Re: New rider on a 50cc bike - advice please

I'd suggest finding* the 3 nearest riding schools near the kid, and talking to them about it. They'll know all the details and, moreover, will be the ones doing the training so you can sound them out if they sound like they know what they're doing.

(it's what google is for.... )

4. The following user liked this post made by RiceBurner:

Liked 1,246 in 692 posts
    Blog Entries

Don't bother with any thoughts of laning. A 50 will be completely unsuitable and underpowered. Also anything that looks remotely attractive will be a pikey magnet.

Just tell him to get a little scootay, do his apprenticeship and gain experience until he can afford something a bit more exciting. Usual advise goes, don't buy some new Chinese POS however nice it looks in the showroom, buy a 10 year old Japanese snotter and sell it in a year for what he paid for it.

6. The following 6 users liked this useful post by Tomcat:

Liked 829 in 432 posts

That ^^^

Liked 806 in 521 posts

I've ridden a geared 50 crosser, they are hard work to keep moving at all. As a new rider you have enough on your plate just trying not to get dead, without having to worry about keeping it in a "power"band.

Get a yamaha BWs if you can find one. Sold well so plentiful spares, reasonable cycle parts (brembo brakes i think?), built to crash better than most peds and with only a little tomfoolery they can clear 45mph, on the speedo anyway.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132214365437

9. The following user liked this post made by a_morti:

Really Bored
    Liked 309 in 158 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    I'd suggest finding* the 3 nearest riding schools near the kid, and talking to them about it. They'll know all the details and, moreover, will be the ones doing the training so you can sound them out if they sound like they know what they're doing.

(it's what google is for.... )
    Indeed Google would be useful if I knew where they'd be living when he turns 16 - they're currently in Lincoln but the brother is getting posted some place new.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Don't bother with any thoughts of laning. A 50 will be completely unsuitable and underpowered. Also anything that looks remotely attractive will be a pikey magnet.

Just tell him to get a little scootay, do his apprenticeship and gain experience until he can afford something a bit more exciting. Usual advise goes, don't buy some new Chinese POS however nice it looks in the showroom, buy a 10 year old Japanese snotter and sell it in a year for what he paid for it.
    I stand corrected, I thought a 50cc would be okay for trundling around the lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post

I've ridden a geared 50 crosser, they are hard work to keep moving at all. As a new rider you have enough on your plate just trying not to get dead, without having to worry about keeping it in a "power"band.

Get a yamaha BWs if you can find one. Sold well so plentiful spares, reasonable cycle parts (brembo brakes i think?), built to crash better than most peds and with only a little tomfoolery they can clear 45mph, on the speedo anyway.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132214365437
    If they're that cheap generally then that looks like a winner!

Liked 1,298 in 618 posts

Of course this is all sensible advice- much like that given to me by my dad 35 years ago. Being 16 I ignored it and bought an AP50... good luck selling the idea of a twist and go ...

12. The following 3 users liked this useful post by nidge:

Liked 870 in 502 posts

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    Of course this is all sensible advice- much like that given to me by my dad 35 years ago. Being 16 I ignored it and bought an AP50... good luck selling the idea of a twist and go ...

I had a twist and go for a year when I was 16, taught me a surprising amount (like the correct way to get away from traffic lights...... the instant the amber was lit, whang the throttle FULLY open. By the time the light goes green, you MIGHT be moving!)

Liked 1,246 in 692 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    good luck selling the idea of a twist and go ...
    The days of sporty 50s are gone grandad. There ain't one you can legally ride today that'll pull the skin off a rice pudding. May as well just get a cheap one and learn to ride.

Liked 806 in 521 posts

There are some pretty cool 50s like the derbi gpr 50, aprilia rs50, tsr 50 (did that make it to uk? Seen one here with Spain plates on), rieju 50 (same question as to uk imports).

But twist n go is so much simpler, he'd have to really want a geared bike pretty stubbornly.

Really Bored
    Liked 309 in 158 posts

TBF, I've not spoken to my nephew directly so I don't know what his thoughts are. His mum says he wants some independence as they live in the sticks and always needs a lift to see friends - if that's the case then the twist 'n' go might be fine for him, I'm certainly going to try to steer him that way. If he gets 'stubborn' then I'll try to help him that way too.

Liked 806 in 521 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
    TBF, I've not spoken to my nephew directly so I don't know what his thoughts are. His mum says he wants some independence as they live in the sticks and always needs a lift to see friends - if that's the case then the twist 'n' go might be fine for him, I'm certainly going to try to steer him that way. If he gets 'stubborn' then I'll try to help him that way too.
    Yamaha aerox is another good twist n go. Bit higher tech / higher spec than most, it even has a radiator.

18. The following user liked this post made by a_morti:

Really Bored
    Liked 225 in 144 posts

Here's a good summary of the licence routes:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...le-licence.pdf

When my son recently started to ride (even at eighteen) we were shocked at the insurance quotes. Maybe living in London didn't, er, help. But we found the best price eventually from https://www.lexhaminsurance.co.uk/. No idea if they pay claims, as we haven't had one yet...

Should Get Out More MyLittleStudPony's Avatar
    Liked 2,084 in 1,225 posts
    Blog Entries

Back in the day my mate had a DT50 (I had an AR50). He did a bit of off roading on the DT and it was passable if not ideal.

Liked 726 in 370 posts
    Blog Entries

derestrict it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum