TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 267 of 277 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,005 of 4154

Thread: The US and guns - it gets worse

  1. #3991
    Should Get Out More Gedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern Hampshire
    Posts
    18,505
    Like
    830
    Liked 1,383 in 673 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Thanks.

    Hungerford was 16 fatal, 15 seriously injured, but it affected many thousands and is still remembered 32 years on (the anniversary is in a few days).
    32 years today ..still burned into British people’s memories..I wonder if American atrocities are still so keenly felt ? Somehow I doubt it ..

  2. #3992
    Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Down in the Duchy (at last)
    Posts
    16,905
    Like
    4,748
    Liked 2,921 in 1,978 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    32 years today ..still burned into British people’s memories..I wonder if American atrocities are still so keenly felt ? Somehow I doubt it ..
    Some of them remember that their 2000+ rifles were confiscated, and they were given 150 (IIRC) compensation. Same thing happened again after Dunblane with pistols. Tends to reinforce the US view that you cannot actually trust governments. Sorry for the victims, but making many more financial victims was not helpful.

  3. #3993
    Should Get Out More Gedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern Hampshire
    Posts
    18,505
    Like
    830
    Liked 1,383 in 673 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Some of them remember that their 2000+ rifles were confiscated, and they were given 150 (IIRC) compensation. Same thing happened again after Dunblane with pistols. Tends to reinforce the US view that you cannot actually trust governments. Sorry for the victims, but making many more financial victims was not helpful.
    I am sure some people suffered but I do believe there were a significant number of claimants whose losses were rather like the number of Louis Vuitton suitcases that get lost or stolen every year ..( ie more of them reported than LV has manufactured) ...

  4. #3994
    Should Get Out More Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Always Sunny Central Southern England
    Posts
    21,720
    Like
    2,591
    Liked 3,358 in 2,213 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Some of them remember that their 2000+ rifles were confiscated, and they were given 150 (IIRC) compensation. Same thing happened again after Dunblane with pistols. Tends to reinforce the US view that you cannot actually trust governments. Sorry for the victims, but making many more financial victims was not helpful.
    I can't find any Hungerford examples, but this BBC report suggests an average of over 600 per weapon after Dunblane.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/164402.stm

    Obviously an average covers a wide range, so was that representative and realistic? [1998 prices]

  5. #3995
    Should Get Out More ZRX61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14,495
    Like
    1,883
    Liked 1,340 in 766 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    I know you do, but our resident exported redneck does like to gloss over some facts ....


    Every year, 113,108 people are shot. Among those:

    • 36,383 people die from gun violence
    • 12,830 are murdered
    • 76,725 people survive gun injuries
    • 34,566 are injured in an attack
    • 22,274 die from suicide
    • 3,554 survive a suicide attempt
    • 496 are killed by legal intervention
    • 1,376 are shot by legal intervention
    • 295 die but the intent was unknown
    • 4,471 are shot but the intent is unknown
    • 509 women are killed by their husband or male dating partner*

    These stats taken from a 5 year average ...I expect he will focus on the lower average murder rate rather than the 10x greater number of those shot ....
    So I have more chance of being killed by a cop than a I do by some bloke with a rifle...

  6. #3996
    Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Down in the Duchy (at last)
    Posts
    16,905
    Like
    4,748
    Liked 2,921 in 1,978 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I can't find any Hungerford examples, but this BBC report suggests an average of over 600 per weapon after Dunblane.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/164402.stm

    Obviously an average covers a wide range, so was that representative and realistic? [1998 prices]
    My memory of the Hungerford is sketchy, I didnt have have any rifles to lose. After Dunblane there wa a (very short) list of pistols with a realistic price tag. Anything not on the list was a single price, 150. Tough shit if you had just paid 700 on something not on the list, then another 700 getting it modified.

  7. #3997
    Should Get Out More murcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Isles of Langerhans
    Posts
    23,308
    Like
    940
    Liked 2,604 in 1,419 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    So I have more chance of being killed by a cop than a I do by some bloke with a rifle...
    Bend it like Beckham. That's the only way you can arrive at that conclusion.

  8. #3998
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Delmarva Peninsula
    Posts
    16,210
    Like
    3,334
    Liked 3,446 in 2,307 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    Feel free to point out the details in the story about how he obtained the gun... & it would appear shopping at Walmart isn't as dangerous as trying to car jack the customers. The perp is dead, everyone else is alive.... but you have to find a negative in the story.
    He stole it from his girlfriend. I had to dig a bit for that. Perhaps she failed to secure it from her lunatic boyfriend. OTOH, most of the mass shootings involved legally obtained weapons IIRC. Soooo, as I said, the obvious issue is that shitbags can obtain weapons readily. And legally. I suppose the person injured by him before he got shot is happy about the whole experience. Needless to say, I'm sure everyone that encountered him was thrilled with the experience. But you managed to find something positive about it, eh? Every execution has a silver lining.

  9. #3999
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Delmarva Peninsula
    Posts
    16,210
    Like
    3,334
    Liked 3,446 in 2,307 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    32 years today ..still burned into British people’s memories..I wonder if American atrocities are still so keenly felt ? Somehow I doubt it ..
    Ask the relatives of the dead. And the survivors that were present during the massacres. Perhaps all the folks that live around the schools that were shot up.

  10. #4000
    Should Get Out More Gedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern Hampshire
    Posts
    18,505
    Like
    830
    Liked 1,383 in 673 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    Ask the relatives of the dead. And the survivors that were present during the massacres. Perhaps all the folks that live around the schools that were shot up.
    Im sure they remember..it was more directed at the rest of the USA...You could ask pretty much anyone in UK over 50 to name a UK mass shooting and I would think the vast majority would recall Hungerford and Dunblane ...I wouldn't be so confident that many Americans could name a mass shooting that was over 30 yrs ago ...

  11. #4001
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Delmarva Peninsula
    Posts
    16,210
    Like
    3,334
    Liked 3,446 in 2,307 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    Im sure they remember..it was more directed at the rest of the USA...You could ask pretty much anyone in UK over 50 to name a UK mass shooting and I would think the vast majority would recall Hungerford and Dunblane ...I wouldn't be so confident that many Americans could name a mass shooting that was over 30 yrs ago ...
    We have so many it's hard to keep track. There's always Kent State where the National Guard saw fit to execute 4 demonstrators who were brandishing deadly flowers.
    And good ol' Charles Manson. He was responsible for 9 killings. Columbine was 20 years ago. Seems like it was just yesterday. BTW, I had to look up all of these for the dates.

    I also had to look up "going postal" to see when that slang came into being. First use alleged to be December of 1993. I thought it was much older.
    Last edited by Bwana; 19-08-19 at 17:39. Reason: added the last line

  12. The following user liked this post made by Bwana:


  13. #4002
    Should Get Out More nidge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    6,085
    Like
    1,631
    Liked 2,202 in 1,004 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    We have so many it's hard to keep track. There's always Kent State where the National Guard saw fit to execute 4 demonstrators who were brandishing deadly flowers.
    And good ol' Charles Manson. He was responsible for 9 killings. Columbine was 20 years ago. Seems like it was just yesterday. BTW, I had to look up all of these for the dates.
    Hardly anyone remembers the bowling green massacre.....

  14. The following user liked this post made by nidge:


  15. #4003
    Should Get Out More slowsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    RoI
    Posts
    9,600
    Like
    368
    Liked 2,489 in 1,622 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by Gedge View Post
    Im sure they remember..it was more directed at the rest of the USA...You could ask pretty much anyone in UK over 50 to name a UK mass shooting and I would think the vast majority would recall Hungerford and Dunblane ...I wouldn't be so confident that many Americans could name a mass shooting that was over 30 yrs ago ...
    They might remember the ones in their own state. Few people in the UK could name one in another European country...

  16. #4004
    Should Get Out More ZRX61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14,495
    Like
    1,883
    Liked 1,340 in 766 posts

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by murcan View Post
    Bend it like Beckham. That's the only way you can arrive at that conclusion.
    570 people have been killed by cops so far this year, number of people killed by rifles averages about 360 a year (iirc). Pretty sure 570 is a larger number than 360 in your world?..

    Cops killed 1164 people in 2018.

    Math not your strong point?

  17. #4005
    Should Get Out More ink ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28,431
    Like
    164
    Liked 3,886 in 2,622 posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: The US and guns - it gets worse

    Quote Originally Posted by nidge View Post
    Hardly anyone remembers the bowling green massacre.....
    (Capten, art tha sleepin' there below?)

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission