TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Husqvarna 610 2 fettling in preperation to sell

Banned
    Liked 36 in 27 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Husqvarna 610 2 fettling in preperation to sell

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Well yes, since this isn't a long term bike I've taken good care of it, hence why I wanted to change the cam chain which was the only major thing that needed.

The closest it has been to off road has been a gravel car park😁

I've only used it to commute and weekend back road blasts.

I still take care of the bikes I keep for long term, they just get used harder!

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
    Liked 168 in 96 posts

Apologies. I do find it difficult to keep up.

Should Get Out Soon Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 4,957 in 2,320 posts

I found another box of goodies. Theres a brand new cam chain tensioner assembly in there somewhere.

New mudguard might look nice.

And (imho) a new chain and sprocket set always adds value...

New filters always a good idea anyway.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 3,356 in 2,153 posts

Bloody hell.
    If someone with a bit of cash laying around made these 2 an offer you've basically got a bike for life that'll never want for owt.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Bloody hell.
    If someone with a bit of cash laying around made these 2 an offer you've basically got a bike for life that'll never want for owt.
    This is just the Husqvarna stuff. It's been kicking around for years. Now I know why bike shops are struggling for business...

I bought the entire contents of a Supermoto shop when it went bust, at a knockdown price before the bailiffs could get their hand on it. It's all jumbled up with the boxes of bikes I was also buying up to support my retirement. Those 122 link camchains up there are a good example. If you found one of those in a box, htf do you know which bike it belongs to? Make/model/year and variant and if it's not in a bag with a label you need the mother of all reverse lookup tables.

I have enough on my plate so when an opportunity arises, well, that's why I spent so much time trying to persuade this chap to come and get it when it sounded like his bike was just about to explode.

Liked 813 in 527 posts

Is there not a husky forum where you can hawk that stuff? Like soon ish before they're all knackered and past saving?

Banned
    Liked 36 in 27 posts
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Husqvarna 610 2 fettling in preperation to sell

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    Is there not a husky forum where you can hawk that stuff? Like soon ish before they're all knackered and past saving?
    There is, the trouble is he would have to end up posting things all over the world.

The Husqvarna bikes are so rare that they are scattered all over the place.

I don't think it would be worth the time/hassle for him.

The main Husqvarna forum is cafehusky.com and it's international, mainly US, but some Australian and South African. I don't think they sold a lot of their bikes here compared to the US and other more exotic places.

Anyway, regarding this bike, the last couple of weeks I noticed that the clutch was dragging and was having more difficulty than usual getting into neutral. No matter how much I adjusted the cable it didn't seem to make a difference.

On yesterday evening, a mishap happened in the shape of a broken clutch actuator arm! In the meantime cue a lot of puzzled looks from the public when I had to push my bike whilst it was running and jump onto it then click it into gear!

Luckily I took the spare from my old bike, found a magnetic pickup tool today at a motor factors and fished the broken piece of the old one out without any trouble.

That was most likely due to the cable being adjusted to the point where there was no slack (before I bought the bike I might add). I changed it as soon as I got it but obviously the damage had already been done. Clutch is now back to normal! Oh the luxury of having a clutch again!

So that's another issue sorted with the bike, hopefully I can sell it before anything else goes wrong!

Regarding selling it and preparations, I didn't get on with the Xerpol at all. I used it on the headlight shroud, and it has made a right mess of it. My workshop camera broke in the garage but I will snap a picture with my smartphone that is currently at work (I leave it there because I've got my desktop at home).

Basically it seems to have smeared the colour all over the place, leaving some spots lighter than the others and just generally made a swirley mess.

The directions on the tube are really brief, just says to polish for 1-2 minutes using "heavy pressure" with a cotton cloth. I used a microfiber because that is easy to get but I can't see that making a difference. Since I've got nothing to loose I'm gonna try polishing it with the air tool and see what happens. I'll start a separate thread when I have the pics.

Edit: Oh yeah and I am very keen to get it on the dyno, just to see what it is making. There is one on the industrial estate where I work so I could even go in my lunch break.

Xerapol is a finishing polish. You know that? You need to flat the surface, assuming the plastic is a solid colour, then go up through the grits until the final polish. Xerapol will get rid of the fine imperfections which otherwise mar the mirror finish on a soft plastic. For example, I used it on this:

Not sure what condition your plastics were in to start off with.

Banned
    Liked 36 in 27 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Xerapol is a finishing polish. You know that? You need to flat the surface, assuming the plastic is a solid colour, then go up through the grits until the final polish. Xerapol will get rid of the fine imperfections which otherwise mar the mirror finish on a soft plastic. For example, I used it on this:

Not sure what condition your plastics were in to start off with.
    Hi Screwdriver.

The plastics are in good condition, save for a few scratches here and there. Other than that they do have a lot of swirly marks on them, I want to get them back to a smooth appearance like they would have been when new.

I didn't realise I would supposed to hit them with sandpaper first!

I want to get them nice and uniform in finish.

What grit wet and dry paper should I use, if I need it?

I'll keep it to the headlight cowl for now.

Edit: lovely work, btw. I want to get mine like that!

Bodywork generally confuses me!

Liked 813 in 527 posts

What grit depends how bad the scratches are. You'll probably also want to use water with it. That's both the wet and dry and the polish.

It came supplied with a small piece of finishing grit paper. If you haven't seen that it's still in the box. Instructions on the box.

Polishing scratches out of plastic is not easy. Xerapol fills in the microscopic swirls to give a mirror finish. I use new lint free cloth (i.e. cotton). Microfibre is not the same thing at all and is made from the same plastic material you're polishing. I have never seen any sort of mess so I assume the surface is now impregnated with melted microfibre cloth.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 1,916 in 1,148 posts

Flynn what are you going to do with the Husky I sold you, I might be interested in buying it back for a re-engine project if the price is right.
    I fancy the Husky chassis with a CB500 or similar engine.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum