TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.

Thread: Old table saw

Should Get Out Soon Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 4,730 in 2,203 posts

Default Old table saw

I've had an old table saw knocking about for years and have given it all sorts of grief. It even lives outside so once in a while I need to drain it. It just seems to run forever. Until a week or so ago. It runs, then slows down and trips out. So I rather foolishly decided to rip it apart. Foolish because there's no room!

Anyhow I knocked it into a bucket and finally got around to "fixing" it.

This is the main event. Motor and gearbox.

I have to assume the issue is in here somewhere.

But I'm not seeing anything obvious.

I'm not even sure if that "blueing" is from overheating. I doubt it would get that hot. I should probably check the coils before I go much further.

It was always amazingly noisy and the sharpened worm gear could be the problem there. It didn't want to come out of that bearing.

Just for shits and giggles.

It may never turn in anger again but at least its shiny

Most of the photos are for reassembly (I can access this thread more easily than surfing my photo album) and I will probably replace the bearings just because I can. One of them sounds a bit dry. The rest are amazing still pretty damned good all things considered.

2. TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, please do not block our ads. Thank you.
    Should Get Out More TheEnglishman's Avatar
    Liked 602 in 373 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Old table saw

Are you planning on using this to saw an RS250 in half in some Damien Hurst-esque Art installation?

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 3,102 in 1,999 posts

Is the worm gear cut into the motor shaft or attached to it?
    I snapped one on Monday in a jack hammer and I've not had a chance to take the motor apart yet to have a look see.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnglishman View Post
    Are you planning on using this to saw an RS250 in half in some Damien Hurst-esque Art installation?
    Ye Olde Forge needs a bit more weatherproofing to be a temp RS250 stable. Need to cut some boards and a bit of roofing. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. Also sick and tired of climbing over the bloody thing!

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    I snapped one on Monday in a jack hammer and I've not had a chance to take the motor apart yet to have a look see.
    It's built in and having drifted out the bearing, I note its a hardened shaft. I just tidied it up a bit with emery on the lathe. Might need a bit more fettling because I don't want to hammer it through a new bearing!

6. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Liked 936 in 567 posts

don't forget to under cut the insulator between the commutator segments if you skimmed it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    Need some welding?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    don't forget to under cut the insulator between the commutator segments if you skimmed it.
    I'm hoping I just knocked off a bit of corrosion with fine emery. I will need to stick a meter on it but it doesn't look burned. I guess they never do though....

Liked 936 in 567 posts

sometimes they do, on big motors I've seen them with 2 or 3mm deep pits in the segments, looks like someones gone at it with a stick welder. Train traction motors get pretty spectacular at times as well. They fairly regularly machine and 1/8th of an inch off the commutators. Checking with a meter is a royal pain and takes ages, and it's easy to lose track of which ones you've checked unless it's an earth fault or a broken wire.

Yes. More difficult when you don't really know what you're looking for

I'm assuming if anything looks wrong it will stick out like a sore thumb but the motor was running at full speed under no load.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 3,102 in 1,999 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Need some welding?
    Thanks but a replacement has been sourced, the bust hammer will be used for spares as and when needed.

Go Back to Forum My Forum